Who has coiled a Prophet

safreek

OK, I have found the right size prophet finally and wish to coil it instead of air shock.
I have been led to believe that it takes a 200x50 shock. After much googling I am now more confused than ever (if possible)

Some of the reading says that they won't fit a fox shock, any reason why.

If any of you have run a coil on one of these frames could you tell me what shock you used..
Thanks

moorey

call me Mia
This was the first one I came across. From there it was all downhill. That's why I am hoping someone on here may have done it.
Seems there are many options but where rub, blah blah blah happens
Not sure why conflicting opinions from burners would carry any more weight than real life experiences from others though.
200x57 will be a lot more common than 50 in coil. I suspect that is more of the issue (with no reason other than a hunch)

safreek

Not sure why conflicting opinions from burners would carry any more weight than real life experiences from others though.
200x57 will be a lot more common than 50 in coil. I suspect that is more of the issue (with no reason other than a hunch)
OK, so I'm fine with 200x57. One more question.
People talk about linear stroke or whatnot but in all honesty I am not a super hardcore rider, mainly xc with a little bit of rock descent, small descents. When I get to the city a bit of stairs and smaller jumps but no more than 2 or 3 foot.
Am a really going to notice much difference by paying for shimming and other upgrades?
I have whacked miscellaneous shocks on frames that probably were not suited to them and have noticed no real difference

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
OK, so I'm fine with 200x57. One more question.
People talk about linear stroke or whatnot but in all honesty I am not a super hardcore rider, mainly xc with a little bit of rock descent, small descents. When I get to the city a bit of stairs and smaller jumps but no more than 2 or 3 foot.
Am a really going to notice much difference by paying for shimming and other upgrades?
I have whacked miscellaneous shocks on frames that probably were not suited to them and have noticed no real difference
What wasn't readily available when Prophets were current but is now, is a progressive spring. Probably your easiest/cheapest option to offset the digressive rate of the Prophet.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
And is there any reason that a fox coil wouldn't fit.
If you read some of the posts in the MTBR thread you'll see that a Fox coil shock will fit, but only in the "XC" setting. The spring seat hits the swingarm and prevents you aligning the eyelet with the bolt hole in FR mode.

moorey

call me Mia
if you are putting a dhx coil on it, put 200psi in the piggyback, and/or a progressive spring as @leitch has linked
Piggyback pressure on the Fox will effect the pedalling and platform (LSC) more than anything else….at least that’s my understanding as how it applies to shocks like my DHX’s

safreek

What wasn't readily available when Prophets were current but is now, is a progressive spring. Probably your easiest/cheapest option to offset the digressive rate of the Prophet.

By god, 160 for a spring. That's about half my budget

safreek

If you want to save money, you could just not try to make it to work with a coil shock it's not designed for.
Yeah, but this is me you are talking to :rolleyes:
Coils just look better.
Don't get me wrong, if I have to I will go air, anything has to be better than an old radium shock that is probably 15 years old

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Yeah, but this is me you are talking to :rolleyes:
Coils just look better.
Don't get me wrong, if I have to I will go air, anything has to be better than an old radium shock that is probably 15 years old
Yeah look, that Radium is definitely going to be shite. But 200x50/57 is a super common shock size, you should have no diffculty getting a decent condition DPX2 or Monarch Plus in that size for <$300. Then you know it will fit, you can easily adjust the spring rate without having to fork out $$ for different springs trying to find the sweet spot, and you'll be able to make use of the adjustable geo settings too.

Or just buy whatever random shit coil you can find, angle grind down the swingarm to make it fit and butcher an old classic frame you've been hankering after for years. Up to you.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Yeah look, that Radium is definitely going to be shite. But 200x50/57 is a super common shock size, you should have no diffculty getting a decent condition DPX2 or Monarch Plus in that size for <$300. Then you know it will fit, you can easily adjust the spring rate without having to fork out $$ for different springs trying to find the sweet spot, and you'll be able to make use of the adjustable geo settings too.

Or just buy whatever random shit coil you can find, angle grind down the swingarm to make it fit and butcher an old classic frame you've been hankering after for years. Up to you.
One of those options is classified under "Unbackable odds".