Who has access to a trailer?

MrPlow

TMBC
Guys, thinking about this race.
Maybe we could knock up some crank stands to go into existing ppls trailers?

But we would still need 4WD wagons and trailers too.

Who could help with either of these?

Just a thought, the other option is 10 dual cab utes and 5 4wd wagons by the looks, that carries 60 ppl, and their bikes to the top, but at the cost of around $3000.00 :eek:

Maybe if I can get some racks made and pay for them at a later date after the race this would be the way to go? How many vehicles were at magpie??

Cheers
Greg

binner

Hath shat hymself
shuttles

.Hey Mr Plow......Magpie had about 5-6 4X4's from a 4x4 club,I think they kinda were hired out ..also think about hiring trailers from Bunnings or your local gas station and jimmy up some simple racks to go on top of the trailers.......... I dont know how your shuttle track is , do you need 4x's to shuttle or will 2 wheel drive utes suffice?, maybe you could see about any 4x4 clubs in Toowoomba willing to assist....... just a thought.......

MrPlow

TMBC
The Magpie Ck Trailers are owned by 2 Wheel Pomotions, and as much as I begged they will not let us have them due to liability issues (so they say).

I think a 2WD box trailer will do fine. But still wondering, it doesn't really save us any money anyway. So prob just stick with the dual cabs.

Thoughts??

The crank thing could be pretty easy to do bodgy, but maybe we are better off waiting and building some big kick ass trailers after the race??

Glock

Likes Bikes
Yeah, building some kick ass trailers after the race would certainly be advantageous for the club. And if Two Wheel Promotions asks us whether or not they can borrow them, we will have to reply with a hearty NO!

Ryan

Radministrator
So, 15 vehicles can get 60 riders to the top for one run.

Assuming 180 riders (based on magpie creek) that's 3 full vehicle runs to get every rider to the top once and 45 return car trips on your shuttle road.

Give every rider 3 practice runs and a race run (this is the minimum that most racers would accept as adequate in my opinion), plus a few extra shuttles for the Elite and U19 finals and you'd be looking in the vicinity of 200 return car trips.

I guess you guys need to ask:
1) Is this actually going to be feasible from a time standpoint
2) Is your shuttle road going to be able to handle that amount of traffic, will it get excessively chewed out, is there enough turnaround to get 15 vehicles turned.
3) Would you be better off "hiring" half as many drivers for the day and spending $1500 making up some trailer-covers like the TWP guys have.

I'd say trailer-covers are going to be better for your club to own in the long run, so why not have them cranking for your first race. The $1500 you'd spend on extra vehicles / drivers is $1500 you'll never see again, a $1500 investment in some trailers will serve your club for years to come.

MrPlow

TMBC
Ryan said:
So, 15 vehicles can get 60 riders to the top for one run.

Assuming 180 riders (based on magpie creek) that's 3 full vehicle runs to get every rider to the top once and 45 return car trips on your shuttle road.

Give every rider 3 practice runs and a race run (this is the minimum that most racers would accept as adequate in my opinion), plus a few extra shuttles for the Elite and U19 finals and you'd be looking in the vicinity of 200 return car trips.

I guess you guys need to ask:
1) Is this actually going to be feasible from a time standpoint
2) Is your shuttle road going to be able to handle that amount of traffic, will it get excessively chewed out, is there enough turnaround to get 15 vehicles turned.
3) Would you be better off "hiring" half as many drivers for the day and spending $1500 making up some trailer-covers like the TWP guys have.

I'd say trailer-covers are going to be better for your club to own in the long run, so why not have them cranking for your first race. The $1500 you'd spend on extra vehicles / drivers is $1500 you'll never see again, a $1500 investment in some trailers will serve your club for years to come.
Sounds great! Except our club bank balance is a grand total of around $120.00 :confused:

I was thinking 2 or 3 teams of vehicles, there is plenty of overtaking opportunity on our track.

Ryan

Radministrator
MrPlow said:
Sounds great! Except our club bank balance is a grand total of around $120.00 :confused:
I take it you're planning on paying the drivers out of your takings on the day then? I just assumed from how you worded it that the situation was; "We have enough money to pay for 15 drivers or to buy X number of trailers"

Perhaps a sympathetic local business would be willing to provide you with the bike racks on $120 deposit and pay the rest after you've run the race. Maybe you could cut them a deal for advertising space on the track / podium / finish area or whatever.

I've seen the "all cars, no trailers" system work at races in Cairns without too much hassle, but the sytem TWP use seems to work a bit smoother and provides quicker turnarounds, as well as eliminating the "kids and bikes falling out of the tray" problem, which has been known to occur.

MrPlow

TMBC
I have decided into hitting up our local "Budget" and other rentals.
It may be feasible to hire a minibus or 2, and a tray back truck, Custom make a rack for the truck (I have the contacts for that ;) ) and get them to sponsor the event.

The local news and paper will be covering the event, so would be a good promo for them.

Still looking into the utes though, that's for sure.

j5ive

Jonny Sprockets Bike Shop
Hows about hiring some Car Carrier trailers? You could fit allot more bikes on them (http://www.uhaul.com.au/equipment.htm- down the bottom). And from memory they are about $60 a day. You could make a simple wood rack that you tie to the top. Or some sort of crank holder that clamps down the centre. Get say 4 of these and 6-10 4wds and you'd be set.

BTW, what happened to the council support? As you know we're pretty much in the same position as you guys down there, except we currently have $140 and no track :D

Gripo

Eats Squid
Jon Weaving at GripsSport

How about approaching Jon Weaving at GripsSport about some deal/sponsorhip/support of his (4 bike) Bike Raxs (see attach pic) as well as other products? ;)

This would work nicely on trailers/flat beds etc. or even a couple of his Towbar Bike Carriers would ease a situation.

I know Jon isn't a charity, but he may be able to help a new club for a first time event.

Thing is, I'm sure many people aren't willing to have their bikes dragged up the hill on dodgy-damaging equip :mad: ......especially when some bikes maybe worth as much as the vehicle/trailer they're being towed with.

If I make it down your welcome to have a lend of my 2 bike towbar carrier.

Attachments