Which XC brakes.

lance

Likes Dirt
Martas rock

I've got to say that I have had nearly no problems with my Martas over the tow year s i have had them. They have needed some fiddling with bleeding etc, but other than that, they are schweet.

I know of a few others that have had problems, despite themselves or shops having attempted to get them working, but I'm inclined to point the finger of blame at the mechanics rather than the parts.

Having worked in shops before, I know the level of experience (and brains) of *some* mechanics.

If anyone has some martas that they recon are crapped out, send 'em to me!

;)

Lance

Tempest

Squid
Timely thread. I'm looking to go some new either LX or Deore or Juicy Fives, and this thread has confirmed the Shimano choice. Shimano parts are always cheaper than competitors too :D .

I have been quoted US$110 per end for Deore or $122 for LX. But I have seen Deore on Ebay for US$160 for both ends pre-bled.

I used XTR Dual control the other day and it was very direct, powerful and felt nice at the lever. You should like the XT's.

Bodin

GMBC
One of my best mates just came back from the USA, where he spent a lot of time bringing back the blingest ride he could put together - money no option: '06 Turner Flux, Fox Forx, XO pods and rear mech, Crossmax SL wheelset, Time Titan Carbon pedals, carbon this, titanium that, bling, bling, bling.

The brakes? Shimano XT.:D

Pebble

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm in the market as well and was looking between XT's, Juicy 5's or Magura Louise.
I've heard of alot problems with juicy brakes in general.
Maguras parts would be costly and scarcer here in Oz.
So that leaves it to the XT's this thread has pretty much convinced me that $60 extra outlay for the XT's is probably more than worth it.

n plus one

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Curve ball suggestion here - Avid BB7's with sl7 levers, sure there a bit heavier but they're cheaper, extremely powerful when well set up, and a complete no-brainer to work on, as well as being ultra reliable. Spend the money you save on weight savings else where- lighter rotors, a packet of laxatives etc...

Mine have proved to be an absolute revelation in comparison to my POS xtrs -which I would happily give away if I still had em', and yes I've owned and used plenty of different hydros...

Avid BB7's - v brake simplicity, with the power of a hydraulic - nice

Last edited:

Bodin

GMBC
Curve ball suggestion here - Avid BB7's with sl7 levers, sure there a bit heavier but they're cheaper, extremely powerful when well set up, and a complete no-brainer to work on, as well as being ultra reliable. Spend the money you save on weight savings else where- lighter rotors, a packet of laxatives etc...

Mine have proved to be an absolute revelation in comparison to my POS xtrs -which I would happily give away if I still had em', and yes I've owned and used plenty of different hydros...

Avid BB7's - v brake simplicity, with the power of a hydraulic - nice
Yes, it's fair enough to comment on the power of these brakes. For quite some time, I used these with a set of old XTR levers and they were bomber. You could also consider running a 7" front rotor for that extra "bite" if you wanted to...

Arran

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I currently have Deore hydraulics on one bike and XTR M-975's on another. I recently had a set of XT (M760) brakes aswell. To be perfectly honest, the Deore's feel the best of the 3! I run Saint on my DH bike. You can't beat Shimano for hydraulic brakes.

At the end of the day, as long as you go Shimano Hydro you can't go wrong.

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
My vote goes to the BB7s as well. Great brake. Even better if you have a good set of levers as well.

topher

Likes Dirt
I ended up settleing on the pair of xt m765 levers with xtr m960 and m 966 post mount calipers and couldnt have been happier with them up until i departed with them for my roadie. Brilliant brakes, powerful to even with organic pads with metallic pads would have been great. Really progressive feel to which is what i like about them. Shimano hydros are the only way to go as far as im concerned now.