which wheels (650b) i give up cant decide

Warp

Likes Dirt
+1 Good value, bulletproof, easily adapted to fit different axle configurations, easy and cheap to service, designed so you only need one spoke length to build up a wheelset.

Looks and sound good.
+1

It's only if you want to go a bit lighter that they lose a bit of ground. But they can't be beat in a combination of everything (price, specs, etc).

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
On the topic of wheels...100% certain I am going to build a pair of wheels with the flow mk3 rims...but what hubs? Dtswiss 350 can be found for $300 while the hopes are forever popular...looking at value for money options ruling out chris King etc...suggestions?
If you're chasing super duper value for money, Novatecs are ace.

I still love my hopes, have 4 sets, but got a set of these to build up a wheelset for my boy. They are significantly heavier than most, and the build quality, while very good, is not as polished as the more coveted rigs. But at half the cost of a DT240 front, for a complete set, including all the axles and adapters for the common specs, you can't go wrong.

http://www.cyclingdeal.com.au/buy/novatec-mountain-bike-hubs-kit-shimano-8-9-10-spee/D881882

+1

It's only if you want to go a bit lighter that they lose a bit of ground. But they can't be beat in a combination of everything (price, specs, etc).
True dat, but the flows aren't exactly whippet rims, and tyres and rims are where you'll realistically feel the weight most, plus with the weight loss the new rim profile has had, hopes on flow mk3, will probably even out to a current DT/Flow weight range.

Last edited:

specialized32

Likes Bikes
I bit the bullet on a set of spank oozy trail 395 on hope p4 hubs see how we go after a few trails

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

XYGTHO

Likes Dirt
My Novatec hubs are the lighter ones 711, 712? can take all configs and have been great. I have hopes also. Just slightly better engagement but double the cost.

sukebe

Likes Dirt

+1 for these guys.

Note that the Novatec hubs they sell run Japanese bearings, not the Chinese bearings you'll find from other suppliers. I had a wheelset of Stans Arch EX built onto Novatec hubs and they are still going strong after 3 years, zero hub maintenance and only the occasional small nipple tweak required. I have a couple of wheel sets on Hope Pro2 (old and 40t versions) and the Novatec hubs are equal in every way, most surprisingly in their lack of any maintenance requirements. Great way to save a few $$ over Hope for the same performance (just without that Hope sound).

Remember too that the quality of the build plays a huge part in how the wheels perform. I can't recommend highly enough the quality of build and service I've received from Ascent Cycling Enterprises.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Has anyone managed to get an eta out of local suppliers for the stans flow mk3 rims yet?
Tumbleweeds.

I'd be thinking July at the earliest, seeing as stans haven't released them direct yet, and pre orders will most likely have killed the first production run.

Delazy

Got a new bike!
Tumbleweeds.

I'd be thinking July at the earliest, seeing as stans haven't released them direct yet, and pre orders will most likely have killed the first production run.
Hhhmmm...I think I'm too impatient to wait that long :( preorder delivery price direct from stans was crazy...

Wait it out or bite the bullet and grab some spank oozy trail295 rims?