Which Shock for an old bike?

Zubanoid

Likes Bikes
I have an old Giant AC2 and the shock is on its way out(leaking and kissing pressure real quick).

Being that I don't want to spen much on another one, $100 or so,I am thinking second hand. Only prob is its an 8.75inch length which is hard to find. It has a manutu 3 way swinger coil at the mo. I was thinking of getting a DH3 9.5inch. Would a 9.5inch fit ok if it was pushed down? Would that mess up the geometry of the bike? Not that I'm any good but it could really mess things up. The type of riding I do is mostly XC and a bit of all mountain and DH...

Any advice?

crazyjose

Likes Dirt
AC shock

Hey mate, I just chucked on a RP23 on mine, just bought it off of Ebay and it works fine, I did have a DHX Air fitted for a while but for all mountain / XC it was overkill.

I would stick with the original size shock though....

cheers

Ades

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
Only prob is its an 8.75inch length which is hard to find.
Your AC actually takes a 7.5" x 2.0" or 190mm x 50mm
where '7.5"/190mm' = shock body's overall length 'eye-to-eye' and '2.0"/50mm' = shock's stroke (length to which the shock can compress).

This makes your life a lot easier given it's a common shock size.

I'd personally be following the above advice and opting for an air shock of some description, especially for the riding style you have listed. Obviously your cheapest option would be to repair your current shock but with the AC and indeed it's Swinger 3-way approaching 9-10 years old, you may have some difficulty in finding parts. In either case, shock technology has come a long way and a new shock can really enhance an old/less efficient frame like the AC.

Your budget does restrict you somewhat so you may be limited to more basic shocks however I'd maintain (as in the above post) that the RP23 be the product to aim for. It's a solid reliable shock that will leave your Swinger left for dead!

Post up a 'Wanted Ad' in the trading area if you're struggling to find something.

I'd also advice that you stick to the dimensions of the shock originally fitted by the manufacturer. Shocks that differ can have significant effects to the bikes geometry (and therefore handling). It's best to match up the above numbers to ensure you have the correct fitting shock.

Best of luck!

Last edited:

Zubanoid

Likes Bikes
thanks guys. Sound advice to stick with the original size. I tend to get a bit carried away with myself. I ended up just buying a new (2005) one of the original shock off ebay for $75 which is probably the cheapest option right now, it was the 4 way swinger btw (I actually checked it properly this time). I figured I could spend a bit of time adjusting it properly to suit me. It will be heavier but I'm no racer, probably do me some good! :biggrin:

I think you are right about the air shock but I run the risk of the ring sizes being wrong or something being slightly out... At least the original shock will fit without any fuss.

I think I'm going to start a new bike fund for myself! I rode my mates new Reign the other day... wow, made my bike feel like an old Holden HQ! (didn't like to stop or turn and heavy).