which fork to buy?

Hamo

Likes Dirt
Ok.. well I should say first that I did a search, but didn't find anything useful...
so heres my problem... I've got a Black diamond double... and It has Manitou stance flows. I'm always bottoming them out, and I've broken them once (sent them back to get repaired) but Now I want a new fork. I wouldn't mind a tripple clamp fork, cos I've been doing alot of downhill with my bike, but I've been told that most of them would probably screw up my frame with big hits and so on...
does anyone know which forks would work well with my bike...

I also wanted to change to heavier springs in my stances while I'm saving for a new fork, but I don't know how to go about it... do I just take it to my local bike shop or send it somewhere special?

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Depends how much you want to spend

If you want to stay with a single crown maybe have a look at a Fox 36. If you get the TALAS you don't need to worry about changing springs as these have an air spring but these are fairly pricey. Another single crown option is a Marzocchi 66.

If your looking to go for a triple clamp, have a look at the Boxxer Ride.

You can change the springs yourself but if your not confident its best to take it to your LBS.

Last edited:

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
triple clamps shouldn't effect your bike, i know a guy who runs Mars Super Ts and they feel quite good on it... maybe have a look at super/junior Ts, or as said, boxxer rides, none of which should cost you too much either

Habiby

Likes Dirt
leitch

i rode dans bike, it feels so weird with the higher forks up front......I think his are 170??

So dont go to far away from the stock forks travel length.

Danoz

Likes Dirt
one word..... TRAVIS! awesome single crown fork and an alrigt price. 66's are good but a tad heavy. i reacon go travis or 36.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Habiby said:
leitch

i rode dans bike, it feels so weird with the higher forks up front......I think his are 170??

So dont go to far away from the stock forks travel length.
fair enough, i didnt think it felt too bad, but then coming from a hardtail with DJs all long travel forks feel high to me :eek: yeah i think dans are 170

kidafa

Likes Dirt
The mongoose Black Diamond range will not be effected if a triple clamp fork is installed. I know of and have ridden many Black diamond doubles with triple clamps. The single is the same fram just different spec. It actully improved the head angle of them with a long triple clamp with lots of sag on the rear, ask Ryan Hotdog (Kizza 01's brother). Only think is that you will have to be careful of stanchions and top crowns hitting the frame, so you just need the bumpers and something else on the frame to fix this, gives you a dog of a turning circle but no dh track have this tighter turns....

DO IT! Put on some boxxers or super T's. Forget jnr T's they speed spike to much. If running an 8 Inch fork you will need to run a fair bit of sag otherwise the head angle is TO raked out. A mate of mine has a triple with 888 looks tank as all black but the head angle is so stupid he needs to get some Aerial Flat crowns...

Hope all that typing helped, otherwise ,,!,, ya!

Hamo

Likes Dirt
haha thanks alot =)... well I do need the money to buy the new fork..,. which I;m kind of short of atm, and if I get tripples I'll probably end up geting boxxers.\
also.. I'm REALLY new in the mtb scene.. so I don't really know what you mean by the head angle and sag or whatever :/

kidafa

Likes Dirt
Sag is the amount of travel that is used when you sit on the bike. usually run about 25% of your travel on a Black diamond. Head angle is the angle in which the fork comes out of the frame towards the ground.

To measure sag get a mate and measure the distance between the shock bolts, then get on the bike in riding gear and get into a riding possition preferably not sitting down but where you are off the saddle and ready to take anything on the track, now measure the distance between the bolts again and thats ur sag.... work it out to be about 25% or a litle bit more, increase sag by increasing preload (turning shock spring) but not to far (no more than two turns) otherwise the coil with coilbind (coils will hit eachother before the shock bottoms damaging the spring and shock and usually voiding the shock warrenty) if to many turns are required to get the appropriate sag get a stiffer srping rate or put more air in your shock...

Hamo

Likes Dirt
ahh ok thanks alot...just one thing.. isn't it a waste of travel to be using 25% of it up just being on the bike?

wtr

Likes Dirt
Nope, absolutely not.

In fact, people might not realise this most of the time, but we actually have WAY more "travel" in our arms and legs than our pogo thingos. BMX and trials riders are through with the whole "suspension" issue long ago. Moral of the story: ride smoother.

When tuning forks, use lighter oil, and tweak with the fork's adjustments rather than with oil weight.