How to Which crank length?

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I have been running 165mm crank lengths for a long time. I am in the process of installing a new crank on a new bike and am wondering if 165mm is still the right choice?

Frame: ibis ripmo af large on 29 inch wheels

I like the clearance offered by 165mm cranks, but haven't had the big wheels on a bike before. Is a 170mm crank going to give me plenty of clearance still? Is the addition 5mm of crank length going to impact pedalling? Is there some other consideration that I have missed?

PJO

in me vL comy
I have been running 165mm crank lengths for a long time. I am in the process of installing a new crank on a new bike and am wondering if 165mm is still the right choice?

Frame: ibis ripmo af large on 29 inch wheels

I like the clearance offered by 165mm cranks, but haven't had the big wheels on a bike before. Is a 170mm crank going to give me plenty of clearance still? Is the addition 5mm of crank length going to impact pedalling? Is there some other consideration that I have missed?
Whatever you feel most comfortable on is the right choice. How low is the BB on the Ripmo?

I run 165mm on the hardtail (29"/27.5 mullet), was running 155mm for a while before that got transferred to a kids bike.
Have a 165mm crankset for the 29er dually (currently 170mm) which will get put on when I finally get round to it.
Running 165mm on the road bike.
Still got 175mm on the commuter.

Definitely notice the difference jumping on the commuter if I've been on one of the other bikes but takes only about 5min to forget about it. Going back the other way is like going back to normal.
I started down this path because the hardtail and dually both have very low BBs, but it feels more natural to have shorter cranks now.

rstim

Likes Dirt
I have a Ripmo AF still on the standard 175 cranks and I initially noticed way more pedal strikes than my previous bike. I'm more conscious of it now so no where near as bad, but would definitely stick with 165 if that's what you've been running.

Last edited: