Which Bike

Turley

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Probably to make my opinion the simplest it can be. A DH bike to me is a bike that is competitive in the top level of a series where it is subjected to multiple different tracks.

A bike that winning and loosing no longer depends upon what bike you are riding, but rather your skills.

Gutty

Likes Bikes and Dirt
In my opinion a DH bike is any bike suited to the type of DH YOU do. I don't race any Norba or WC courses so MY DH bike doesn't need 9" travel and weigh under 35lbs but i still ride DH on it and it's exactly what i want for MY type of DH.

Techno Destructo

Riding In Peace
Here's an interesting thought...
Brodie makes some monster full suspension bikes. The two top of the line full suspension bikes are called the Demon and the 9-Ball.

The total max travel on the Demon is 389mm/15.3" (178mm front, 211mm rear) while the 9-Ball is 415.6mm/16.4" (200mm front, 215.6mm rear).

But the Demon, with less travel, is considered to be their DH bike, while the 9-Ball is intended more for freeriding, though I'm sure each bike will manage quite nicely in both arenas...

Of course, the amount of technology and the geometry probably make all the difference in how a bike rides... but that's rocket science to me...