Where to hire bikes in Vancouver?

wespelarno

Likes Dirt
I will be heading to Vancouver to ride the famous northshore later this year and was wondering if anybody could recommend a location to hire bikes from? I'm after a reasonable quality downhill/freeride rig. There are a few companies I've found who hire bikes but their idea of a park bike is a giant warp. This clearly won't cut it, so was hoping someone had some suggestions.

Thanks
Wesp

ruley

Squid
Cove Cycles

When I was there three years ago, Cove Cycles in Deep Cove where renting decent frreride bikes (Cove Bikes funnily enough) Rented one for two days, paid in advance and they happily refunded the second day's rent after I axed myself on the first day.

dcrofty

Eats Squid
Yeah I believe that cove bikes still do rentals. Their shop in Deep Cove doesn't exist anymore though its now on Main Street in North Van, just near the second narrows bridge.

I think that Different Bikes in Parkgate (which is a shopping mall at the base of Mt Seymour) might also rent bikes but I'm not 100% on that.

nsmb.com would have the answers you seek.

EDIT talking about that has made me very very homesick for North Van. Enjoy your time there, its a fantastic place.

Reubs

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Dave is right. Different bikes does indeed rent bikes. You can get them from any of their 3 stores but they are always kept at the north van store which is about 300m away from the base of Mt Seymour trails. Last year they had Devinci hektiks as demos but they are being sold off as they no longer sell that brand. They also had a Rocky mountain flatline and there was a Knolly Delirium-T demo bike kicking around before christmas. I'm not sure exactly what they will have for this year but i think there are a couple of 09 Stinky deluxe's as demos. Cost is about 30-40 bucks a day depending on what you hire. Knolly will cost you more i believe.

check out www.differentbikes.ca or email askus@differentbikes.ca

disclaimer: I worked at the west van store up until mid january...

wespelarno

Likes Dirt
Thanks guys, I'll check them out. I am absolutely stoked to be there. While I'm doing questions, are any youth hostels or motels etc more friendly towards muddy mountainbikers than others?