Where to buy good 20" Mountain Bikes

mtbdh_girl

Likes Dirt
I am looking around at 20" MTB's for my daughter, and I came across the Specialized Hotrock 20" (the 6 speed MTB, not the coaster). Does anyone know if they are available in Australia (preferably the girl's colors)? Know of a shop in Melbourne that stocks them/can get them?

Also, anyone got any other suggestions for a 20" MTB, preferably available in girly colors. I looked at the Giants, and the only one I liked was the boys MTX150, which is black. The girl's Giants suck, I hate bent top tubes!

I know that many of you don't move past the 26" section of the bike shop, but surely there are people here that work in shops who are in the know!

Thanks,
Cindie

Az

Likes Dirt
Hey Cindie,

07 giants are in but the girls one has the bent top tube.........black one is hot tho.

GT did a 20" chucker which was a pretty cool little beast.....

Mongoose aint bad either, fuji's are cool but again most girl models
have the bent top tube.

So i guess Im not much help!!!! I'll have a flick through the catologues at work
tomorrow and see what I can find.

AZ

Last edited:

slaw

Likes Bikes
For Specialized in Melb, try Total Rush or Vic MTB, they might be able to get one in for you, or Fitzroy cycles as they do kids bikes. Kona have good quality kids bikes, though I haven't seen many around. Try Brunswick St.

We have an old Giant MTX125 in bright yellow. It is a steel frame that looks like the traditional MTB of the era, and is serving our girls well. They don't mind the shape or colour. The newer aluminium framed models are lighter though.

Older daughter is onto a girly looking Raleigh 24" mtb. It has hydro formed frame, v-brakes, a susp fork that sort of works. Amazing value for under $300, though not quite the quality of the Giant. I guess that Raleigh have 20" bikes as well. We got ours from Goldcross when they had about 20% off it. Other kids bikes we have are hand me downs or out of the trading post.

and1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Is a stinky jr. a 20" or 24" wheelset? I forget, if its 20" maybe try having a look at that? I may have missed it but how much did you want to spend?

Dan.

Farkin guerilla
and1 said:
Is a stinky jr. a 20" or 24" wheelset? I forget, if its 20" maybe try having a look at that? I may have missed it but how much did you want to spend?
nah they dont make the stinky jr anymore but it had 24" wheels. I think they replaced the stinky jr with the stinky 2-4

Sethius

Crashed out somewhere
malvern star are bringing one in as are as GPI. we have alot of people waiting to get their hands on them instead of just bmx's.

zac

Likes Dirt
yes, it is a kmart bike but: dyno have opened up their kicker (hardtail) range to include a 26", a 24" and a 20", and from memory the 20" is around $200... i think it is seven speed on the back, single ring, no name gearing and fork, promax brakes. the frame looks to be fairly decent though, and i doubt the fork will break any time soon (seems to work ok too)

shred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i think there is a 20inch version of the norco 416, cant remeber where i seen it tho

shred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i found a pic of the norco 416 jr, well here it is, it was on pinkbike if you were wondering
416 jr.jpg

Last edited:

mtbdh_girl

Likes Dirt
Thanks guys,

At this stage it looks like she'll probably be getting the black Giant mtx150. Maybe with a re-spray at some point! She's hated all the 'girlie bikes' because they are a different style to what she sees us riding. And the only one that had that real 'dirt jump' styling but in a girl color was the pink Specialized Hotrock.

The lack of decent quality kids mtb's in Australia is really disappointing though. And while I would love to spend heaps on buying a bike overseas and getting it shipped, there is a little voice over my shoulder that say's I shouldn't spend that much on a bike for a 5yo!

Thanks for all the input though.

Cindie