Where did I go wrong?

willsy01

Eats Squid
Up on the pedals with your weight shifted back = front wheel losing traction.

Try and keep your head over the bars a little through corners.

BM Epic

Eats Squid
Standing straight up right, your body turned, followed by your steering, too late, front wheel had too much to do=washout, try bending them knees a bit??

RYDA

Likes Bikes and Dirt
In this dry, creek track can be skatey as.

Try some of the tips mentioned above.

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
try to weight the crank on opposite sides, i.e. on right hand corners (turning right) have your left side pedal down holding your weight/and your right side pedal up unweighted, this shifts you centre of gravity out towards the left of the bike and is less likley to wash out around corners..its also a really good idea if there is heaps of rocks around, if your pedal or crank arm hit one of those mid corner, its dust time also!

outtacontrol

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yep, the bike got out on the off camber section and no weight on the front wheel. You need to run your elbow guards lower too :)

Thanks for the feed back guys. :)

BTW those elbow guards are getting turfed. It's the second occasion they've got up my arms after a stack.

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thanks for the feed back guys. :)

BTW those elbow guards are getting turfed. It's the second occasion they've got up my arms after a stack.
your line choice is just ok, although remember the softer dust/surface will be on the outside of the corner. now even if the front wheel sinks, your body was too high on bike (high centre of gravity) and your arms looked straight which meant you weren't able to absorb the change in terrain with your arms - so you are riding a bit separately from bike. think of it this way, you body gets constant feedback from the terrain, it can't if you're not fluid on the bike.

one other thing; we all fall, practice the ninja roll it's amazing how you don't get injured if you can roll out of crashes. you can actually practice bailing out onto grass with a roll, it works. good on you for posting as it's a good way to fast track your riding skills etc.

Last edited:

workmx

Banned
1. Your body is the best suspension system, use it: elbows and knees should be bent.

2. Right turn = left pedal down and weighted more than the right (vice versa of left turn), look ahead at where you want to go, get your head down over the bars, lean the bike and trust your tyres.

3. It sound counter-intuitive: but you are going too slow. You seem to be anticipating that something will go wrong. Relax your stance and go with the flow.

Also looks like you are relying too much on the suspension - try riding a rigid bike or atleast a hardtail (if you can get access to one). That will force you to use your body as suspension and improve your line choice.

Also.

Last edited:

BlakZ

Likes Dirt
This stack has reminded me why I use elbows guards that have forearm guards too!

Solution? Practice. I have done 1000000 stacks like this.

scblack

Leucocholic
Solution? Practice. I have done 1000000 stacks like this.
Bingo!!

I have spent many an entire afternoon ONLY doing cornering, to improve my technique. The most important thing I personally find is to ride "soft" which means allowing your arms and legs to absorb much of the stuff you ride over. As workmx says your body is the best suspension system available.

Many good advices above too.