where are you riding?

hdtvkss

Likes Dirt
hay there,

bored shitless at work and started pondering where i was going to be riding this weekend, also have a new bike to break in which should be fuun. only problem is i cant think of anywhere that jump sout at me to go :(

so wheres everyone else riding this weekend?

notb4dinner

Likes Dirt
Are you looking for advice on where to ride or is this meant to be more of a 'share and care' thread? Since you don't say where you're from I'm going to assume it's the second option.:p

Sat: Weekly group ride up in the Wattagan state forest.
Sun,Mon,Tue: Touring somewhere. I still haven't decided where but probably up the Hunter Valley somewhere, possibly along the old convict trail.

hdtvkss

Likes Dirt
well, its a little from column a, a little from column b!

looks like ill be doing Cascades/davidson on saturday mroning, weahter permitting. convict trail huh? i havent ridden that but have heard iits ok? is it all fire trail? some big climbs there as well from what i have been told?

shrek, im from Sydney, Epping to be exact. always looking for new suggestions on places to ride :)

Shrekmeister

Likes Dirt
Hi hdtvkss

i'm from the Sutho shire....however looking to head up the mountains every now and then...

plus the inlaws live over the hills area, so wouldnt hurt to learn some rides over that way....if there are any....

S.P.G.

Likes Dirt
Loftus has some good kinda basic trail riding. a lil bit of DH as well. i have no idea where im riding this weekend. that gets planned for me ahaha.

hdtvkss

Likes Dirt
Shrekmeister said:
Hi hdtvkss

i'm from the Sutho shire....however looking to head up the mountains every now and then...

plus the inlaws live over the hills area, so wouldnt hurt to learn some rides over that way....if there are any....
Ok, well ill tell you the rides that i know in the area, im sure there are others that people cna help you out with. Theres lane cove national park, which can be OK, most of the single trail havs been closed to riders though. theres Cascades/Davidson in St Ives, not too bad, some fun fast fire trail downhill, a techy downhill track at the top of the hill if you can find it thats not for the feint hearted. as discussed in another thread round here theres Lake parramatta which i hate, and also Northmead/excelsior park. have a look on MTBR.com and see what you can find.

maybee we could create a sticky thread of places to ride/ reviews of trails if one doenst allready exist?

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Wow! Why do you hate Parra Lake? I love that spot, such a nice techy little circuit with some fast bits and trails leading off the side to explore!

Each to their own of course, but I love the Parra and Baulko/north rocks/excelsior trails!

hdtvkss

Likes Dirt
johnny said:
Wow! Why do you hate Parra Lake? I love that spot, such a nice techy little circuit with some fast bits and trails leading off the side to explore!

Each to their own of course, but I love the Parra and Baulko/north rocks/excelsior trails!
the north rocks trails i thought were OK, but parra, hmmm no. ill go back and give it a ride again as ive only been there once, but i just felt like i couldnt get a flow happening. maybee i was just going the wrong way?? ( was going anti clockwise)

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Yeah, I always go clockwise and find this to be much better. I used to live near Northmead High, it was great, I'd hit that trail about three times a week whether on wheels or foot! There are some ok side tracks there as well if you should ever feel like exploring.

grumpy rooster

Likes Dirt
Has anyone ridden around the Canoelands area in the National Park there or out at Cattai? Have been thinking about them for a while but not sure if it is worth the effort.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
I haven't been out that way for like 15 years, but isn't Cattai a relatively flat or midly undulating area? Or have I confused it with somewhere else?

*thinking of Lake Cattai.

Dave@

Likes Bikes
grumpy rooster said:
Has anyone ridden around the Canoelands area in the National Park there or out at Cattai? Have been thinking about them for a while but not sure if it is worth the effort.
There's not much at Cattai. WSMTB now run their DH at Pacific Park, which is the other side, and potentially there's something in the NP, but unless you lived there I wouldn't bother. I used to live one ridge over, and do about a 15km XC loop that ended up coming back up through Pacific Park. Lots of private property on that one, but I knew the owners.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
I haven't riden it myself, but used to hang around Yarramundi a bit. I think that would be a better option if you haven't riden it yourself.

Hornsby

Likes Dirt
Grumpy rooster,

Out in Canoelands there are tracks in the Nat Park but they are just fire road there and back type rides, ride to end and then retrace your tracks so not particually exciting but you'll be all by yourself. I recently did a circut ride out along smugglers ridge which is out from Arcadia which was good untill you drop off the top of the ridge to get down. Lots of bike carring for this XC rider. And the ride back again was a 25% grade for 1km just went straight up not a lot off fun, but the countryside was beautifull lots of deep cayons and gorges.
Unfortunatly the sumgglers ridge ride is a walking track in a National Park so no "improvements" could really be made to make it more ridable.

ebuk

Likes Dirt
johnny said:

Is Parramatta Lake still open to riders? I haven't been there in years. Last time I was there NPWS were cracking down on riders.

Maybe a jaunt to parra lake is called for.

Drizz

Likes Dirt
ebuk said:
Is Parramatta Lake still open to riders? I haven't been there in years. Last time I was there NPWS were cracking down on riders.

Maybe a jaunt to parra lake is called for.
I dun know if NPWS looks after that, I thought it was council's land (at least thats what the derelit signs said.)

I am not sure if its legal to ride, but theres really little policing thats for sure. I been there a few months back, its ok. Very hard to make it all gel and flow, but I suspected thats got more to do with my skill than the track. Good place to learn. (Especially on the west side of the lake where you can practiace bunnyhopping over big fallen trees.

Me and my mates planning to do Ando/Oaks this sunday, we are worry that the cascade at the end of Oaks might be flooded. Anyone been down there the last few days? Will give NPWS to find out.

Last edited: