Wheelset for AM use?

maxwolfie

under-the-radar comedian
I have a Blur LT2 with XT hubs & rims and a Fox TALAS 32 fork, however I'm looking at buying a RS Lyrik fork (20mm TA) so I will need a 20mm hub to suit. Question is, should I stick with XT rim & 20mm XT hub to match the back, or is now a good time to invest in something more "AM" - I.e. I plan on riding a bit more DH on the Blur, now that I will have 160mm travel on the front. Assume about 50% XC, 50% DH. Not racing either.

Trying to keep costs down, so leaning towards keeping the same setup as it's done me fine so far. Back is still 100% true, front is a little out of true but not by much. If I upgrade the front to say, Hope Pro 2/Stan's Flow rims, I'll end up forking out more money in the long run as I'll inevitably change out the back to the same as well. Cost vs. benefit on an upgrade such as this?

Suggestions? Putting money down on the fork (and hopefully also the wheelset) as early as tomorrow morning.

maxwolfie

under-the-radar comedian
ride it until you break it ... then think about swapping ... cheapest option I can think off.
Well, I've gotta get a new hub at least. LBS says its pretty pointless (almost same price) unlacing existing rim/hub and re-lacing new 20mm hub to old rim, might as well just get a new rim as well and have a spare.

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If you get an XT front wheel with the 20mm axle I think it will have a wider rim than the 15mm axle version of the wheelset.

Ivan

Eats Squid
Why can't you just go Hope/flow on the front, and not bother with the upgrading the rear?

hypo

Likes Dirt
i have the 20mm xt wheelset here that i am looking at swapping the front hub to a 15mm maybe we need to talk ?

maxwolfie

under-the-radar comedian
hypo - sounds like a good deal, but I'm pretty keen to keep the 15mm in case I want to change it back for longer XC rides etc..