Wheelset and drivetrain questions

dain2772

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So I have been given new wheels as a birthday present (of my choice) for my 2010 stumpjumper fsr.

Current wheels are stock as below, which seem ok but I have read that there are better wheels out there. I have had the bike for 3 years, ridden for ~2 due to a back injury.

RIMS Custom DT Swiss X420SL, 24mm w/ eyelets, 28/32h
FRONT HUB Hi Lo disc, CNC flange, sealed cartridge bearing, 9mm DT RWS, alloy QR, 28h
REAR HUB Custom Shimano M525 SL, alloy QR, 32h
SPOKESDT Swiss 1.8mm stainless

full spec: http://www.specialized.com/gb/gb/bikes/archive/2010/stumpjumperfsr/stumpjumperfsrcomp#specs

On some recent research I have seen a lot of recommendations for TWE as a maker of great wheels for not a lot more than a standard set. Is this a good option or would it be better to do a standard XT or Mavic wheelset?

The other thing is that I have recently read about different drivetrain options and potentially needing a new rear hub for some clusters (I am still running 3x9 as standard). Is this a good time to go for an upgrade in terms of looking at 2x10 or 1x10 and what would I need to buy? Or, can I upgrade wheels and then do the other upgrades later?

And just for fun - any other upgrades worth doing outside drivetrain? I am sure I could slip a few extras in the wishlist!

The riding I do is standard Sydney trails, Manly Dam, Ourimbah, OMV (when open) plus the odd event - Convict 100, Fling etc. I like to go fastish, no big drops and I am ~75kg.

Cheers!

Wellsey

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey mate, what's your budget re the wheels?

You wont need to change your hub unless you want to run an 11 speed cassette; the size you've got will run 9 or 10.

dain2772

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey mate, what's your budget re the wheels?

You wont need to change your hub unless you want to run an 11 speed cassette; the size you've got will run 9 or 10.
Budget is a little flexible, say around $500-600 but can go a bit higher if it gives me a better result, particularly if I can keep the 3x9 and upgrade to 10 speed down the track.