wheel sets

james9625

Likes Bikes
hey guys im still new to the whole dh scene and i dont have much knowledge in the rims/hubs area and im thinking of upgrading the stock ones im running now. i dont really have a max price. im mostly looking for information in this department.

Keven

Likes Dirt
What do you have now? What bike? Where are you riding? Are you after stronger or lighter wheels? Etc etc

james9625

Likes Bikes
at the moment im riding a norco atomik 2010 almost fully custumed except forks and wheel set. (done by previous owner) and im just running the stock norco ones i think they are called norco sixtyfours? and im not sure if i should go stronger or lighter what would you recommend?

caleb

Likes Bikes
I'd recommend possibly a set of 'mavic 721's' with just standard hubs those wheel sets come with considering they are pretty affordable, light and strong, unless you have $$$ to spend.

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
hey look very nice how do they ride though? and how much would a pair set me back?
sorry for the slow reply.

All wheels are custom built at the moment as Pushie & Loaded are trying to save on shipping as we build up our inventory ... so RRP of between $730 & $799 depending on build and urgency. Pushie has just struck an arrangement with a local wheel builder and prices will drop as volume increases.

How do they ride.
I'm biased, but they are taking a good amount of abuse as we've wanted to really test them. I'm most surprised with the AMXC ... on the heavy side of 1900g, but these are not XC race wheels and I've DH'd these. The DH are 2.1 to 2.2kgs so pretty competitive and again, I've had no issues over the last 8months on my AMX and AmXC, and maybe just slight off true in the rears.

Oh, You can also buy the rims as a stand alone for RRP $94.95 each ... we've got red, black and green AMX at the moment.

If your a Sydney, Gong, Blue Mountains or Hunter person, I'm happy to arrange a demo ... we have both 150mm & 135mm rear and both AMX and AMXC demo wheels available. PM if you want to arrange something.

driftking

Wheel size expert
Personally although never running a set I am alwasy bias to 823's on hope, they seem to top many peoples list for wheel sets, affordable, strong and a decent weight.
If I am correct as mentioned below by caleb a pair of 721 are virtually a tube set of the 823's (someone comfirm or deny this).
TWE also make very good wheel sets and are getting some awesome feed back from riders.
There are also another brand of rims completely forgot what they are, recently have seen them in post yoru ride, rennie was running them for a whole season and are only 50grams heavier than deemax.
I have always been a fan of mavic rims running the same front rim on my older dh rig for a few years it has held up very well, I think it is a 721.
I'd recommend possibly a set of 'mavic 721's' with just standard hubs those wheel sets come with considering they are pretty affordable, light and strong, unless you have $$$ to spend.

Last edited:

thepope1986

Likes Dirt
My dh bike is currently on mavic 823's and I freaking love them. The only dent I have was when it had a 600lb spring in the back and I rode down bandages or glory at the you yangs.

evObda2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The decision to go lighter or stronger depends on how well your current wheels are holding up.

Also as you said you are new to dh, my best advice is to stick with your current wheels for the moment anyway.. as your skills, speed and confidence is going to build so you'll get faster and faster and unfortunately harder on your rims.

Id flog these wheels out until they can handle now more then look at your options.
For what its worths there are a few options id recommend if your set on new wheels: (I've just used Hope hubs as they're well priced and good quality)
Running tubeless will save weight and help against punctures. Most who run tubeless don't tend to go back to tubes.

- For lightest wheels
Stans Flow rims w/ Hope Hubs or Deemax Ultimates (i can't fault mine). Stans rims also easily tubeless.

- For strongest wheels
Mavic 823 w/ Hope hubs (tubeless)

- In between weight and strength and usual pretty cheaply priced (but aren't tubeless like the above options without rim strips)
Mavic 721 w/ Hope hubs

dirt lover

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I can't praise the mavic 721s and 823s enough. Currently have a 721 up front (which I will upgrade to a 823 soon as the rims had a long good life and I want to go tubeless) and an 823 on the back. Have landed a bit sideways and cased multiple times on it and it is still running true.