Wheel set for downhill

Jaredp

Likes Dirt
Geez I feel like such a tosser asking this.

I am wanting to upgrade my wheels on my 2012 glory 2.

The default wheel set to go for would be mavic deemax wheel set. But!!!!

I want to reduce some weight and also.....here goes.

I want white wheels to complement the white and blue colour scheme. There I said it.

The yellow would look real out of place.

Cheers.

CresoDH

Likes Dirt
What about the silver alloy lookin deemax's ? You could always strip the paint get sprayed white , then get stickers made but you would have to be either rich or just a vain tosser to do that .haha

Broken Bones89

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Geez I feel like such a tosser asking this.

I am wanting to upgrade my wheels on my 2012 glory 2.

The default wheel set to go for would be mavic deemax wheel set. But!!!!

I want to reduce some weight and also.....here goes.

I want white wheels to complement the white and blue colour scheme. There I said it.

The yellow would look real out of place.

Cheers.
I have some white MTX on ano red hubs for sale. Only been used a handful of times. Would look good with white and blue paint scheme

GravityJockey

Likes Bikes
White Wheels ?

Depending on how much you weigh and your riding style, you could possibly get away with a Quality AM wheelset like DT Swiss EX1750 or Mavic Crossmax SX both around the 1750g mark.

Thinking of going this route for my GF's Kona Operator since she is only 65kg and I have 95kg mates who run these wheelsets on their AM bikes and they have stayed straight and true.

However if you are like me 90kg and plow through rock gardens I would go the DeeMax Option or Maybe the new Eastern DH wheelset, though saidly not available in white... the only other option would be to build a custom wheelset.

Painting could be an option ?

Jimmy_Bend

Likes Bikes
How about some azonic outlaw's? They seem to be decent, I haven't seen or ridden them but the intense 951 build comes with them so I'd say they're decent and know they are light - just don't think they come in a built wheelset so you'll have to source some hubs etc too

guitar1234

Likes Dirt
How about some azonic outlaw's? They seem to be decent, I haven't seen or ridden them but the intense 951 build comes with them so I'd say they're decent and know they are light - just don't think they come in a built wheelset so you'll have to source some hubs etc too
Outlaws are just another budget wheelset, you'd be better off sinking your money into a custom wheelset on CRC, which would be just as much and then you would get pretty colors too :happy:. They are strong, but heavy too, and pretty much only come in a wheelset, not separate like you said.

If it was me ( and I will need a new wheelset in another few months so I have done some research :love: ), I would go for some CRC Hope Hoops.
Hope Pro 2 Hubs to Mavic 823 rims would be perfect. Strong, reasonably light, and they can be run tubeless.
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Kits.aspx?ModelID=63713
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Kits.aspx?ModelID=63716

apete

Likes Bikes
I've recently got myself some spank spike evo35 rims, got them as a custom build off chain reaction cycles on octane one hubs and all up it cost me $352. not bad for a super wide and indestructible rim. I have had a few gnarly cases and smashed some rock gardens pretty hard and not a flat spot yet. and an added bonus is the ease of fitting tyres on the wide rim. These come in white black blue and red. Mine are blue in colour. One thing to note is after a few rides the anodizing splits apart ever so slightly at the seam as it beds in, no issue at all and not even noticeable unless you look super closely.
check them out: http://spank-ind.com/index.php?a=info&do=pro&id=38&tid=1

Earlysport

Likes Bikes
Stans Flow Or Flow EX come in white. I just built up a set with Saint hubs, alloy nipples, and DT super comp spokes for an all up wheelset weight of 1860 grams. Hope hubs would be about 60 grams lighter. The all mountain wheelset idea generally doesn't work as you probably need a 150x12 rear hub.

With used Saint hubs my wheelset owes me less than $400.

Craig

Raymondo

Likes Bikes
I use Mavic 721 rims on hope pro 2 hubs with no issues and know a lot of people who run the same. Rims are available in blue and the hubs also if you are looking to colour code?