What's your favourite online bike shop and why?

Jaydawgz

Likes Dirt
Hey guys,
Im aware of the online bike shops chain reaction cycles, Jensonusa, Wiggle and torpedo 7.
Im currently looking at a pair of minions, shin guards and DH shorts.

I'm not sure whats best, so I thought I might ask to see if there were any super amazing ones which I was unaware of.

Cheers

RMS116

Likes Dirt
I find CRC to be the best but it all depends on what your buying and when you need it.
I usually look on here in the classifieds then look at CRC if there's nothing on here and compair their prices inc shipping with what it costs here austalia (I use TBSM because they have a good online range).

harmonix1234

Eats Squid
CRC. Aside from ebay they are actually the only online store I have ever used for bike stuff.
It is always exactly what I ordered, packaged well, reasonably priced and quick to be delivered. Sometimes quicker than my LBS can get it from the distributor (sorry guys).
One thing I never understood though, is why I get about a dozen A4 pages of the invoice in triplicate with anything I order from CRC?

smoothwakey

Likes Bikes
Tbsm

I feel bad not buying from my lbs so If I buy online I always use tbsm (at least they are ozzy) , exceptional service, fast deliverys and cheap

Stef

Likes Dirt
I know they're cheap but these sites are absolutely shafting local shops. There are some big changes to come. At the end of the day it's real money though isn't it? I only wish we could compete :(

CP

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I know they're cheap but these sites are absolutely shafting local shops. (
They're not shafting anyone. They're merely more competitive on price. I'm sure they have the best of intentions :)

m_g

Likes Dirt
if i actually got reliable, honest, consistent service from an LBS I would feel bad for using CRC. But since I live in Sydney, and good service does not exist, I gladly use CRC...

ray

Likes Bikes
I've used Pricepoint.com alot and never had any hassles, very good prices on parts etc ( on advice from LBS staffer )

Ray,

cramhobart

Likes Dirt
As a rule if i'm spending less than $50 I buy from LBS, any more than that, CRC. Today I spent an hour going to nearly every LBS looking for stick on cable guide's,which no one had in stock.(and 3 or four other bits which added up to a little over $50) No one even offered to order for me, the best I got (after I pushed) was "i'll order some next time I do an order from dirt works". Bike shops need to realise that they are not selling parts they are selling service, and while the service continues to be god-awful, I'll buy somewhere else. Think I'll change my rule to $25...

rstwosix

Likes Dirt
moruyabicycles.com.au - we're damn good and we're here in Australia. We keep our prices as low as possible to compete with overseas online stores. Sometimes we can't get items from local importers because in their 'wisdom' they decide not to bring them in. When that's the case and I want something for myself I shop with CRC, Cambria (CBO) and Jenson USA.

Last edited:

w2ba

Squid
online bike stores

I've personally used Cell and Torpedo7 with no dramas, both have had some really good sales. I also find signing up to their mailing list useful as they often have one day sale sort of things.
Haven't tried any of the other online stores.
I also like it when the LBS advertises their specials online on sites such as bike exchange or even facebook though i'd like a few sales on parts not just complete bikes as thats where dedicated online stores get my interest.

frensham

Likes Dirt
wiggle www.wiggle.co.uk are fabulous and around $90 AUD gets you free delivery.
Alfred E Bike (USA) often have some sensational prices.
Phantom Cycles (AUS) are having web issues at the moment but take the time to give them a call and you might find their prices quite good - having a conversation with the shop is still a valuable way of buying the right thing......
Universal Cycles (USA) are worth a look but email them regarding shipping.
Bike Nashbar (USA) ditto
pro bike kit (UK)
Merlin Cycles (UK)

.:ROBBO:.

Likes Dirt
As a rule if i'm spending less than $50 I buy from LBS, any more than that, CRC.
This is generally my rule. But I do try and hold out till other mates need stuff as well then place an order with CRC.

Yesterday I had to go to 4 different shops just to buy 1 Shimano brake bleed kit. Not one offered to order one in or even bleed the brakes for me which would have actually been cheaper than the bleed kit itself and obviously they would have made more out of it. Although when I found a store(NRG Cycles) with kits in stock they looked after me on that anyway. Should have gone there first.

m_g

Likes Dirt
No one even offered to order for me, the best I got (after I pushed) was "i'll order some next time I do an order from dirt works". Bike shops need to realise that they are not selling parts they are selling service
yup, i get that all the time...2 months later, it still hasn't (and never will be) ordered.

I stood in two stores for over half an hour about a month ago to purchase a $4000 bike...Didn't want advice or help...I knew what I wanted and size...First store, no one came to help...I walked out furious...

2nd store...one employee went to get someone more knowledgeable-fair enough...he gets sidetracked by an incoming customer wanting to buy a pump!!! arghhh...most (and I've been to a lot) of LBS' in Sydney are shite!

scorpio1

Likes Bikes
When was the last time your favourite online bike parts bargain discounter:

Stayed late on Friday night or came in early on Saturday morning (skipping his own ride) to fix your bike?
Stood in the pouring rain or searing heat at the local charity ride to pump up tyres and work last minute miracles so that the ride can go on (and did it for free)?
Gave free clinics to teach you what you need to know to enjoy cycling ?
Answered all your questions, about any cycling related topic, and didn't hand you a bill afterwards?
Knew what size your inner tube your bike uses when you forgot?
Do you need extended or standard valves? (Wait, online shops don't ask....)
Caught that worn out part on your bike just before catastrophie failure, overnighted the part from the supplier, split the shipping charge with you, and then installed it the next day so you wouldn't miss your ride.
Spent endless hours up to their elbows in degreaser, chain lube, fork oil and who-knows-what was on that bike to keep you rolling smoothly down the road?
Doesn't hesitate to size a child to their first bike, just to see them smile?
Prices in bike shops are set as low as we can set them and still be in business while paying our staff to serve you when you have a problem or question and to pay the rent so that you have an awesome bike shop to hang out in. We do this because we love bikes and because we enjoy seeing our customers achieve a personal best be it a race or just a ride.

We ask you to consider this before you buy your next online bargain because you need your local bike shops and if you don't support them one day they won't be there.

Jubas

Likes Dirt
When was the last time your favourite online bike parts bargain discounter:

Stayed late on Friday night or came in early on Saturday morning (skipping his own ride) to fix your bike?
Stood in the pouring rain or searing heat at the local charity ride to pump up tyres and work last minute miracles so that the ride can go on (and did it for free)?
Gave free clinics to teach you what you need to know to enjoy cycling ?
Answered all your questions, about any cycling related topic, and didn't hand you a bill afterwards?
Knew what size your inner tube your bike uses when you forgot?
Do you need extended or standard valves? (Wait, online shops don't ask....)
Caught that worn out part on your bike just before catastrophie failure, overnighted the part from the supplier, split the shipping charge with you, and then installed it the next day so you wouldn't miss your ride.
Spent endless hours up to their elbows in degreaser, chain lube, fork oil and who-knows-what was on that bike to keep you rolling smoothly down the road?
Doesn't hesitate to size a child to their first bike, just to see them smile?
Prices in bike shops are set as low as we can set them and still be in business while paying our staff to serve you when you have a problem or question and to pay the rent so that you have an awesome bike shop to hang out in. We do this because we love bikes and because we enjoy seeing our customers achieve a personal best be it a race or just a ride.

We ask you to consider this before you buy your next online bargain because you need your local bike shops and if you don't support them one day they won't be there.
No offense, but i'd ask the same question of most lbs' in Sydney.. I've ordered my latest bike with a different LBS and so far the service seems good - delivery soonish. I definitely want a good relationship with an LBS, but christ, it's really hard to find one!!

hach_bee

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If I may add : J&R Bicycles, US based and mostly bmx.
HOWEVER they have some sweet race kits for about US$125 (glove, jersey, pant combo)

Customer service is fantastic and they do custom wheels (even with rainbow ti spokes for the fairies out there!), willing to swap upgrades onto complete bikes...
And are about to start free shipping on orders $500+

They've taken a bunch of emails from me and these guys are always friendly and professional!

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
I know they're cheap but these sites are absolutely shafting local shops. There are some big changes to come. At the end of the day it's real money though isn't it? I only wish we could compete :(
I can't say I agree. Look at it this way: If a shop was to pay the same price from a distributor as a website does then it makes the bike shop look horrible because they are putting a bigger mark up on it. Online stores can sell it a little cheaper because they don't pay the same tax (.............bullshit tax at that!) that you do by buying from your local shop.
I work to earn my money and I ain't gonna pay double for somethign and wait twice the time to get it. My rule when purchasing is simple: If I can fit the part I will buy it online. If I need my mechanic to fit the part I will buy it from his store.