What's the best 4-5 inch travel steed?

Disco

Likes Dirt
Thats because its more of a... um... (slopestyle) *cough* build. 150mm on the rear, and 140mm on the front. Wouldnt be hard to push it to 13kg with a little bit of money in the right places. :rolleyes:

cam-o

Likes Bikes and Dirt
That makes sense.
I've found myself going the other way recently - shaving grams and reducing travel, it's wierd :eek:

Disco

Likes Dirt
I think theres actually an uncanny natural fluctuation in every mountain biker... between weight and travel. :rolleyes:

r.ayres1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The trance x models are all awesome value for your dollar,and even more so in their 2010 range.I sometimes wish they had a slightly slacker head angle for the downs.

preemo

Likes Dirt
To the OP

Have enjoyed reading this thread - here is my two cents worth - There are lots of great bikes in this category, and this category seems to be where the manufacturers are putting a bit of effort. Try to test ride a few bikes and end up with a shortlist then look at cost and local support. Some things I would totally ignore (unless it's important to YOU) - brand and where it's made. Let the rides sort out whether you prefer carbon etc. Look forward to hearing how you go

hosssbosss

Likes Dirt
Well it's been a while since I've checked in on this thread since I kicked it off, and my, hasn't it progressed...
I've since sold the Stumpy Pro and have an '08 Giant Reign in it's place. Gotta say I'm pretty happy with it so far, although the previous owner swapped the original forks to lesser travel/adjustment Fox 32 R's, so I'm keeping an eye out for something else fork-wise. Made in the same factory or not (care factor zero to be honest), I prefer the cushier rear end of the Giant, that still climbs very well with minimal to no bob, vs the harsher feeling less travel Stumpjumper.

I've just bought a 2001 model Santa Cruz Superlight for $250 that I'm going to restore somewhat and get my retro kicks:). Should be on my doorstep before Xmas hopefully! (I do love a new toy...)

felixmtb

Likes Dirt
I've just bought a 2001 model Santa Cruz Superlight for $250 that I'm going to restore somewhat and get my retro kicks:). Should be on my doorstep before Xmas hopefully! (I do love a new toy...)
Don't we all?:p

This has probably already been mentioned before (couldn't be stuffed scanning 15 pages to look), Giant Trance x. The new 2010 x advanced sl looks absolutely amazing! must climb and descend like a dream.

gadget1

Likes Dirt
feel, sizing and what you want

my first DS was a giant anthem. it got me loving riding and trusting I could ride fast. that says a lot. In terms of dollars for smiles, can't be beaten, and it feels stiff and bob free. and what you save in $$ you could spend on better wheels/forks/brakes (in that order, i suggest, too).

took a punt on a second hand mach 4 frame, amazing machine, but still setting it up for me. Beats the anthem up sandy climbs like Rockwells Run, techy downhills, and corners. But that could largely be down to a slightly smaller frame or having SID forks. Mach feels more confident in holding a line. wouldn't mind a slightly slacker head angle, though.

But the anthem has less bob and feels faster on the flats and gentle uphills and more open courses. Once you wind it up it seems to want to keep going. I don't know if there's any advantage in overall speed, but the pivot has a different feel. it feels plush yet direct, but a little too responsive in terms of handling for me.

Ibis Mojo is light and rides beautifully, but doesn't feel quite as direct or in touch with the ground. that's it, it lacks feedback, but its a very easy bike to ride for a long time.

ridden a Yeti ASR too. In terms of handling, with the slack head angle, felt really confidence inspiring, and downhill, like the mojo. just didn't like it on rough ground, but it may have been the suspension set up. those seat and chain stays look mighty thin, too.

ultimately, you've got to take sizing into account too. I would have bought another anthem, or even an Ibis Mojo, but I felt between sizes with these bikes.

so its about you and your riding style. but its got to be about the way you ride and what you do. rode with a friend who was riding a crappy hardtail at the youies on the weekend - beat him on the corners, going uphill and down, then he won on style points getting big air. good work, mate, but tighten your skewers properly next time:eek:!!!

that's my rant:D.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Retro kicks? Fit it out with a modern shock and XTR and it will still kick the ass of most bikes out there.

hosssbosss

Likes Dirt
Gadget you definitely understand the 'feel' side of things man, which not everyone seems to be able to do. When it comes to really appreciating the subtle (and not so) differences of certain bikes - be they boutique or more pedestrian brands - that's pretty important I would say. Many people just wouldn't examine the technicalities when riding.

Oddjob I say 'retro' kind of loosely regarding this bike, since it's not like it's a mid nineties specimen or anything. I WAS in the market for a hardtail from that era, to have some fun on and just have as a spare bike, but the SC came along and my arm was twisted... Can't wait to get the thing and start showing her some love:D

Autumn_Leaves

Likes Dirt
At the end of the day if your not hamstrung buy your budget what ever you decide will be the right bike for you. Ask ten people and you will get ten different opinions. Do your homework and buy what floats YOUR boat and I garentee you'll be happy.

Andy007

Likes Bikes
Evolution

My first dually bike was a gary fisher joshua F4 about 6-7 years ago (i still have it too), since then i have owned a giant NRS, a GT marathon and just last week purchased a Intense Spider FRO. the spider has got to be the best bike i've ever (bar my Intense ss that i have set up as a short travel DH rig).
The spider is awesome, i can't rave enought about it.

solo

Likes Dirt
too many giants on the trial i like to ride something not many people have
my fav bike is a 2009 jamis xcr expert great bike light great spec and very well priced love it
so happy after going back from 5 inch trail bike gt i-drive to 4 inch racer

Bodin

GMBC
Turner Flux

At some point soon, I'm going to have to retire the Stumpy FSR. It's a bummer, because it's been an incredible bike over the last 4 years and has been in that perfect zone between a race bike and a trail bike.

I've looked and looked and looked and the only bike I can see myself getting to replace the Stumpy is a Turner Flux. Same travel (4"), but has a DW-link and is stiff as a teenager watching Victoria's Secret. Perfect blend of race and trail. I'll be interested to see how the weight stacks up against a Pivot Mach4, which is really the only other frame I'm looking at.

alchemist

Manly Warringah MTB Club
End of Days...

Make sure you give us some warning Bodin, you not on a Specialized is the 0th sign of the Apocalypse :p