What's the best 4-5 inch travel steed?

Timbers

Likes Dirt
Unfortunately, you (and your lollypop-licking "source") are mistaken. I bet you also bought a Giant when they told you "they make Santa Cruz, mate". Works every time! Until you actually ride the Santa Cruz!

SOME (not all) Santa Cruz frames are FABRICATED by Giant in Taiwan. That's it - tubes formed, welded up and sent off for final finishing and assembly at Santa Cruz, California.
Other Taiwanese fabricators make most of the other frames. No-one is denying that
The only current SCB frame to come out of the US is the V10 (and it’s the ONLY ONE with “Made in the USA” on it
But to imply that Giant has anything to do with design or development is just a CROCK OF SHIT!
I (and most other people in the know) realise Giant makes many of the other brands’ frames, because Giant is the biggest bicycle fabricator in the world
But the Carbon frames (as mentioned by others here) are out of China. Out of a facility that has nothing to do with Giant. That’s why Giants’ carbon frames are virtually the same weight as their alloy counterparts and offer no discernible increase in strength or stiffness (well, maybe 5-10% they’ve admitted this year). They use the exact same process as has most other carbon manufacturers for the last two or three decades!

The fact is that you’ve been misled by Giant riding on other peoples’ coat-tails – not unlike the Maestro system with DW-Link, eh?

Do some research (that’s what the Internet is for, don’t you know?) before you blurt out your opinion.
And then come back with your tail between your legs (right about the area where you seem to be "grasping your reality"!
Hahaha, I think those with half an idea of the industry now know who needs to do some research DUDE! thanks for the heads up but I think I will trust the information in my inbox at work before the BS on the internet.

Before your next chest beating session keep in mind some of us on here actually work in the industry at a higher level than a retail outlet and therefore have access to the actual facts!

BTW your comments about Santa Cruz and Giant are laughably far from the truth..........again I guess denial is bliss;)

The Dude

Wasn't asking to be banned
Here we go.........

BTW your comments about Santa Cruz and Giant are laughably far from the truth..........again I guess denial is bliss;)
Do elaborate............I'd love to hear what "someone higher up in the industry" knows to be the truth about SC and Giant

normdouglas

Likes Dirt
Me too. This thread's starting to become worthy of beer and popcorn.
And the reason this often happens is due to anonymity of this forum. If people are going to talk from a "higher" level, then I think they should identify themselves. Mind you I think everyone should always identify themselves, this is what is making this forum (rotoburn) a bit of a sess pot lately.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
I'll throw my biased hat into the ring and say the Morewood Shova.

Builds to around 12.5kgs in large size with Shimano XT drivetrain and brakes, Fox TALAS RLC forks and Hope Pro2 Mavic 717 wheels.

Long and stable wheelbase that makes climbing and descending nice and stable.

Very snappy response and well controlled suspension due to super stiff single pivot. In fact I'd be surprised if there were any stiffer bikes out there in the 4-5 inch category.

Handbuilt outside of China/Taiwan for anyone who cares about that sort of thing.

I've got my eye on one of the new Zulas if the Shova ever dies.

Picture is not my bike (mine is actually prettier) but similar sort of spec.

daddyrat

Likes Dirt
mine. 08 specialized enduro with 36 talas and sturdy wheels at 14.2 kg. love it. best bike i ever had until i get the next one.:D

Ricardo68

Likes Dirt
A year or so ago I rode & rerode a heap bikes ... I liked:

Scott Ransom (AM, I bought this :) sensational bike)
GT Force (AM)
Giant Reign/Trance (AM/XC)
BMC Trailfox (XC)
Yeti 575 (AM)
Ibis Mojo (AM)

Obviously a bit more AM lien, but was a great experience to ride pretty much everything on offer. I found some bikes just didn't suit me, Orbea's, Specialized's, Kona's, Norco's, Merida's, Cannondale's are all well respected brands but they didn't click for me. There's a lot of other bikes ridden but the above was my short list.

YMMV

Everard

Likes Bikes
My first bike was a Blur LT and I loved it. However I didn't really know what to compare it too.
Then I couldn't believe my luck. The local bike shop was selling a PIVOT Mach 4 XT build for 5k. As our economy was a bit stale they were letting it go for 2k discount. So I bought it. Next thing I was climbing hills that I could never get up before. And I was able to accelerate faster with quicker response.

I am no professional rider. But I do enjoy competition and am very self competitive. (That little voice in my head is a real bastard to me sometimes)
The Mach 4 was a beautiful bike to ride. I am over 100 kilos and I have taken it over some biggish drops. It can take a lot of punishment.

I fell in love with PIVOT so much that I also bought myself a Firebird! (I figured I didn't need a Mach 5 as I had the BlurLT.) The firebird is a dreamboat also. I cannot describe how this bike seems to float effortlessly over rough terrain. However it is still a fantastic climber.

So now I have made my Blur LT redundant. I have a Mach4 that can take a head of punishment. And i have a 167mm travel bike that can climb like a mountain goat. So I am selling the 5 inch SC BLUR LT.

So if you can get your hands on a PIVOT Mach4. You wont be doubting or disappointed with your purchase. And there will be no post purchase depression either! And as for riding the firebird. The extra bit of weight on that thing is great training for when i get back on the Mach 4! Perfect!!!!

pecker

Likes Bikes
If Only You Knew...

I Just might have taken a trip last November through a vast array of Taiwanese manufacturers. I might have written an article as an overview of the trip and the insights gained. It was really rad I might add. There is alot of BS flooding this thread. There is also some truths floating amongst it too. I have a whole HD of pics that must remain undisclosed. Let's just say that unless you have been there and drunk your fair share of Taiwan beer best keep quiet rather than talk BS.
Ride what you like, like it because it floats your boat. Don't let anything other than the quality of the ride cloud your vision.
Ask people where they get their information too. Is it 1st hand? 2nd hand? Or 10th hand?

We are spoilt by choice these days, no question about it.

How cool is it to have all these affordable options at our disposal, super cool I reckon.

My advice, test ride everything, don't be afraid to put people on the spot and ask what you want to ask....

Get amongst it dude,
Time is wasting.

Fankles :)

DW-1

Dirt Works
Ride what you like, like it because it floats your boat. Don't let anything other than the quality of the ride cloud your vision.
well said young(ish) man.

I stand by my statement that my Manits Pro Floater, with all of it's 2.8" of travel is the best riding bike I've ever owned. :D

And I've owned some sweet bikes over the years.

Elvis.

Disco

Likes Dirt
hahaha Bodin, agreed! :p

daddyrat, I dont suppose you've got pics of your enduro? :D
I've got an '06 S-Works that rolls in at 14.18kg with a solid build...

Mikey.

cam-o

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Damn, what do they build them thar Speshes out of? - 14+ kilos is pretty beefy for an AM rig these days