Whats a good AM helm that us aussies can buy, what u guys use?

Holf

Likes Bikes
So iam looking for a ff AM helm got a XC one but want a bit of teeth and jaw protection for some more Dh stuff to between XC/DH type. I have looked at a few helms but some are not sold in Aus at all no dealers etc, and don't really want to pay $40 bucks just to get it posted.
Looking for a good all round helm i suppose that can use on up hill rides and down hill with the jaw etc protection. One that has good air flow and is easy to breath in when riding up hill also that won't get to hot on a say 20 below day and can use hyro pack to.
If got any suggestions that be good thanks or what u guys are using or have tested out

Last edited:

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
Fox whatever it's called grey camo or white ones are rad, been rocking mine for probably over 3 years now. I think there's some clone ones from other brands out now, they may be better. Got the adjustable skull grabbing bit at the back, nice low rear coverage like a DJ potty lid, mini viser.
Can someone help me out with the model?

Last edited:

indica

Serial flasher
hey man yeah wicked i can also write massive rambling sentences with little to no punctuation that really make my eyes bleed but I have the fox rampage and hey man it is fully sick aye and helps me do whips n shit although it never paid for my bike the fucking bastard i am going to go and smash it now for that time for another beer.

Nautonier

Eats Squid
Go the Met Parachute if you want to save money on a dental plan. Light, comfortable and you can wear it all day going up or down.

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
Missed the bit about jaw protection. I think I skipped out of reading mid first line.

SuperSix

Likes Dirt
You make me LOL

hey man yeah wicked i can also write massive rambling sentences with little to no punctuation that really make my eyes bleed but I have the fox rampage and hey man it is fully sick aye and helps me do whips n shit although it never paid for my bike the fucking bastard i am going to go and smash it now for that time for another beer.
you never cease to amaze me indica :D

floody

Wheel size expert
Go the Met Parachute if you want to save money on a dental plan. Light, comfortable and you can wear it all day going up or down.
Yeah sure thing, also good if you're keen on having a met parachute faceguard stab you in the cheek.

I would rather wear a good helmet with no face protection than any of the tacked on jaw-piece helmets.

If you want a full face, get a full face.

If you want a trail helmet, get a trail helmet.

Trying to get one that does both well is a potential disaster. The closest is the one Urge do, the Archienduro, but I doubt they're AS/NZ Approved.
I don't think any removable jaw helmet will pass AS.

Holf

Likes Bikes
ya the arch i was looking at but cant get it here in aus.., ya removable jaw not that keen on more just open face type like the arch

guitar1234

Likes Dirt
ya the arch i was looking at but cant get it here in aus.., ya removable jaw not that keen on more just open face type like the arch
[video=youtube_share;0RjC-vh06_c]http://youtu.be/0RjC-vh06_c[/video]

ehehehe. Like mentioned before, either get a dedicated AM helmet such as a 661 Recon or a dedicated DH helmet like a TLD D2/D3. I'm not knocking the Urge Enduro-Style Helmets, just saying that if you want fool proof protection then go for something simple, that isn't an attempted hybrid between the two

Last edited:

BlakZ

Likes Dirt
I bought an enduromatic. It is fantastic. Considered a lightweight fullface for a while but decided against it. Unless the entire helmet is structurally designed to take a blow to the face, I wouldnt feel comfortable wearing it.

As well as being incredibly comfortable, the enduromatic came with spare visor and pads, a high quality cloth carry-case, and a fairly awesome stickers sheet.

I was lucky, they had the blue one on clearance sale CRC, I thought I was getting a runout/old version or something. After the sale, they went back up to full price. Confused me a little. Well worth the full price tag though.

retroenduro

Likes Dirt
I bought an enduromatic. It is fantastic. Considered a lightweight fullface for a while but decided against it. Unless the entire helmet is structurally designed to take a blow to the face, I wouldnt feel comfortable wearing it.

As well as being incredibly comfortable, the enduromatic came with spare visor and pads, a high quality cloth carry-case, and a fairly awesome stickers sheet.

I was lucky, they had the blue one on clearance sale CRC, I thought I was getting a runout/old version or something. After the sale, they went back up to full price. Confused me a little. Well worth the full price tag though.
Yep i got one of these too and its really comfy. Its also surprisingly cool conidering the lack of air holes etc. Does anyone know if these are approved under the new Asutalian helmet laws etc? No sticker in it but thats cos i bought it on a trip back to the UK.

Holf

Likes Bikes
Any 1 know why Specialized don't have their Gravity helmets on the their Aus website?. or Any know if there is any dealers near Melbourne that have them to try on atleast?

ADD

Likes Dirt
Yep i got one of these too and its really comfy. Its also surprisingly cool conidering the lack of air holes etc. Does anyone know if these are approved under the new Asutalian helmet laws etc? No sticker in it but thats cos i bought it on a trip back to the UK.
Not approved. I asked them on their FB if I could buy in Australian and check them out and they directed me to CRC. I told them I don't want to buy their shit if it isn't AS/NZ approved.

retroenduro

Likes Dirt
Not approved. I asked them on their FB if I could buy in Australian and check them out and they directed me to CRC. I told them I don't want to buy their shit if it isn't AS/NZ approved.
great...so i have to get another helmet if i want to do some racing :( and to top that i have to pay LBS rip off prices! I may just get a rosebank from K-Mart then because apparently cos it has a sticker and is 'approved' its going to protect me better that the urge....

this whole standards thing is so inconsistant, a good example is the Ford Falcon...it as a 5 star ANCAP safety rating but cannot be sold in europe as its considered an unsafe vehicle - wouldnt even get a 1 star rating as it doesnt have rear headrests. In the event of a rear end shunt anyone in the back would get whiplash and may even end up with a broken neck! Sorry off topic...slightly

evObda2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Without personally going through the Australian standards you'll usually find their requirements are based on overseas (whether European or American) standards anyway. All AS documents can be found @ www.saiglobal.com

Of course its a lot easier and simpler for the helmet manufacturer to put a AS sticker on it, rather than you carrying around documents proving it complies to the equivalent standard (and more importantly the person deciding whether you can use the helmet understanding these standards..).

Try and find out from the manufacturer (e.g: Urge) if they can send documentation for their safety compliance. Im pretty sure with this you can prove its equal or most likely exceeds the AS/NZ standards which would allow you to use it.

floody

Wheel size expert
great...so i have to get another helmet if i want to do some racing :( and to top that i have to pay LBS rip off prices! I may just get a rosebank from K-Mart then because apparently cos it has a sticker and is 'approved' its going to protect me better that the urge....
It is no coincidence that Rosebank are (were?) the tester.

this whole standards thing is so inconsistant, a good example is the Ford Falcon...it as a 5 star ANCAP safety rating but cannot be sold in europe as its considered an unsafe vehicle - wouldnt even get a 1 star rating as it doesnt have rear headrests. In the event of a rear end shunt anyone in the back would get whiplash and may even end up with a broken neck! Sorry off topic...slightly
Citation?