What shock pump?

faz

Likes Dirt
I need to get a shock pump for my bike. My questions is:

• What shock pump do you recommend based on your usage of them?
  • Do all shock pumps fit different forks and shocks?
  • Are all pumps the same? Does it matter what one I get?

toodles

Wheel size expert

Yeah they're all pretty much the same. They all use schraeder fittings.

I'd recommend getting the Topeak shock pump if you can get one (I got mine from www.fortheriders.com). Of all the shock pumps I've used, it's my favourite as it uses a special threaded fitting that makes sure you don't lose pressure when you take it off.

mtb_champ

Likes Bikes and Dirt
there all basically the same. i got mine off ebay, and its been great easy to use and accurate, compared it to the lbs one.

Pebble

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've been using a Ginat brand one for almost a couple of years now, I think it was about $45 when I brought my Trance. Anyway never had a problem with it.
Recently got a Rock Shox branded one that came with a fork & seems about the same as the Giant branded one.

I think a lot of them are pretty much the same, maybe different asthetics and different brands stamped on them, probably the case more so in the $50 or less price bracked. Pay a bit more and you probably get a few extra features.

In my opinion it doesn't matter hugely, as long as your pump gives consistent readings. I don't use mine that often really.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
I've got a wrenchforce thats served me really well. Topeak make some good ones as well. From memory they make a combined shock/tire pump.

S!C!E!R!

Banned
As long as it's practical it will do the job fine.....

After the simply practical pumps your just paying for the brand name.....

cobba

Likes Dirt
I've read in a few places that most .....

of the 'Branded' shock pumps like Marzocchi, Rock Shox, Fox, Giant and others are all made by a pump manufacturing company from Taiwan named Giyo . The Giyo pumps can be bought for a good deal less than the 'Branded' pumps but they are exactly the same pump just without the 'Brand' painted on them.

Pebble

Likes Bikes and Dirt
of the 'Branded' shock pumps like Marzocchi, Rock Shox, Fox, Giant and others are all made by a pump manufacturing company from Taiwan named Giyo . The Giyo pumps can be bought for a good deal less than the 'Branded' pumps but they are exactly the same pump just without the 'Brand' painted on them.
I could easily agree with that - I haven't scrutinized it to the T but the Rock Shox & Giant pump looked very similar and felt the same to use. Not forgetting that the Giant one is now nearly 2 years old any differences would probably be attributed to some "cosmetic" changes.

jamsta

Jamsta Grafix

As someone who designs this shit, they're all the same! just get ANY brand that has a gauge and fits into your price budget! seriously, don't believe ANY BS that appears in ADS/.TVC's etc... It's ALL garbage! Stick it to the MAN! [whatever poofter brand that is...]

placebo

Likes Dirt
Another vote for the Topeak shock pump with the two stage threaded adapter. I've got a couple of different types, it's the nicest and easiest to use by far.

n plus one

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The Fox one that comes with their shocks and forks is as good as any I've used - as already noted it's probably a re-brand, but from who?

They seem to be available 2nd hand a bit as you get one with forks etc so people accumulate them.

One thing to be aware of is whether your shock/fork runs low pressures for platforms, etc. If so a lot of pumps aren't designed to be accurate below 50 psi.

dhdave199

Likes Dirt
I use a Giyo one i found off the net, which doubles as a tire pump.

And i have an adapter for my 66's that i picked up from the LBS.

JarradRoberT

Cannon Fodder
I had a no-name pump that worked absolutely fine, but unforunately suffered an early demise at the hands of my 9 year old cousin. bah!

I live in the middle of no where so I had my father pick one up for on the Central Coast and mail it out. I didn't specify any brand or style. Just a shock pump to fit a schraeder valve. He picked up a Rav-X Shock-X pump for something like $80!!!

This thing looks awesome, but that means squat when I find it hard to stop it from losing air when removing the fitting. It supposedly has a 'special' removal system that stops this, but I'm always finding myself pumping 10-15psi over the pressure I want to counter for the loss when removing the fitting. (this only occurs on the rear shock, it's fine on the forks) Maybe I'm not using it properly? I'm following the directions on the packet.

+1 for cheap generic pumps

willipa

Likes Dirt
It supposedly has a 'special' removal system that stops this, but I'm always finding myself pumping 10-15psi over the pressure I want to counter for the loss when removing the fitting.
Do you mean the hissing noise of air escaping when you unscrew it? That's usually air escaping from the hose attached to the pump and not the actual shock ;) i may be wrong though.

JarradRoberT

Cannon Fodder
Yes, the hissing noise is there, and I realise that it's normally just the sound of the air escaping the hose/fitting etc, but if you immediately screw the pump back on, the pressure will be 10-15 and sometimes 20 psi lower than the level it was initially inflated to.

The cheap generic pump I had didn't have this problem.

Last edited:

JohnJohn

mtb-oz
Yes, the hissing noise is there, and I realise that it's normally just the sound of the air escaping the hose/fitting etc, but if you immediately screw the pump back on, the pressure will be 10-15 and sometimes 20 psi lower than the level it was initially inflated to.
That's just the air from the shock filling the volume between the shock valve and the valve in the pump. That volume varies between pumps, but as far as I can see the Shock X doesn't leak or open the shock valve when the purple dial on the head is screwed out.

Pebble

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Now that I have a Pike I've found that I have to be a bit more careful in how I unscrew the shock pump in particular with the negative chamber (as it's much smaller or something so can lose a lot of pressure quickly, and equally doesn't take as much air to increase the pressure).

My trick is to screw it on a bit past the point where it first registers on the gauge. And then when un-screwing I try to undo it to a certain point and then start undoing it a lot quicker (primarily over that magic release point) which seems to minimize the pressure loss quite a bit.

Certainly some of the perceived pressure loss is the equalization of air back into the pump when you screw it on, but I do believe if you screw it on / off too slowly you can lose that little bit more. I suppose the trick is knowing how much your pump takes away from the reading when you do screw it on (5-10psi?). But if you believe what the gauge says & just run whatever pressure feels right for your fork & you then it won't really make much difference - after all adding an extra 10psi is adding an extra 10psi regardless of what the numbers are telling you!

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
My trick is to screw it on a bit past the point where it first registers on the gauge. And then when un-screwing I try to undo it to a certain point and then start undoing it a lot quicker (primarily over that magic release point) which seems to minimize the pressure loss quite a bit.
Yeah, I have to do that when I pump up my dual air rear shock which is even worse as the chamber is even smaller!

I believe Manitou have an SPV specific one as well which handles the lower pressures a little better.