What is your photo setup?

WynterPlace

Likes Bikes and Dirt
My understanding is that the Nikon and i'd imagine the Canon flashes have a proprietry communication method, the Nikon one is called CLS (Creative Lighting System), I have NFI what the Canon equivalent is.

But if you use the yum cha branded ones from Protog, with wireless triggers you should be able to do everything the Nikon/Canon brand system would do for a fraction of the price.

But my knowledge of this is still pretty limited, I'm a noob so could be way off, but so far, I haven't discovered any drawbacks from the yum cha setup i'm running.

neil thompson

Likes Dirt
Nice pics! I like the fish-eye effect, but I think it's very limited in where you can use it, as an occasional lens it would be cool, but not something i'm likely to add to the kit to take to DH races... Skate park pics though it would be awesome.

Where is that track with the massive tower at the top?
Ourimbah central coast NSW.
CCOMBT DH track and a NSW state round will be there this year.

Is any one using a wireless remote unit for Nikon which will adjust the power of the slave flashes and works well.
Cheers Neil

hotazell

Likes Dirt

Is any one using a wireless remote unit for Nikon which will adjust the power of the slave flashes and works well.
Cheers Neil
Hi Neil,

Read your SB900 manual. I believe you can do that in commander mode. I'll play with my SB800 I'm sure it can do the same I just run the slaves in manual and spend a few moments setting up prior to shooting.

On topic
D3S
16-35
24-70
70-200
50mm
poverty wizards
SB800/SB600
Also got a whole lot of stuff for macro but not relevant here.

I either use the 16-35 or the 70-200. Prefer the 70-200 as I do not get in the way of the riders. Nearly always use flash even on the brightest day in a attempt to light the riders eyes

Look here for pics http://www.flickr.com/photos/hotazell/

Last edited:

dhlouie101

Likes Dirt
hey guys i just orderd a 550d with the kit 18-55mm lense and am soon to order the next half of what i need (70-300mm lense tripod filter's ect.) i couldnt order it all at once because of import duty and tax's =(

Jaydawgz

Likes Dirt
My new kit.
Canon 7D
15-85 IS USM f/3.5-5.6
Sigma 50mm f/1.4
Canon Speedlite 430exII

In the future Im looking at a decent tripod, backpack, wireless triggers, as well as some film equipment if I can afford it....
It's very hard being able to afford bike bits and camera bits !

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
Cheers Neil
Neil, Spinner on here does, I believe. Gets excellent results.

i was wondering the exact same thing? anyone got any info on this?
Yep, but buy them off eBay (Much cheaper). Great little unit that cost me just under $60. So if someone hits it while riding, I won't be that upset. I also have a 580EXII and a 430EXII but they are not as easy to use. I just don't put the Youyong ON my cameras.

neil thompson

Likes Dirt

Thanks for that have to find out more.

Hi Brian I do use my SB 900 as master it dose a great job but still the 800 needs to pick up the master flash, sensor on wrong side or trees can be restrictive some times.
Cheers Neil

hotazell

Likes Dirt

Thanks for that have to find out more.

Hi Brian I do use my SB 900 as master it dose a great job but still the 800 needs to pick up the master flash, sensor on wrong side or trees can be restrictive some times.
Cheers Neil
Hi Neil,

then you need to go down the radio route. There are numerous cheaper options on ebay that do work. For better reliability and range pocket wizards are the go. http://www.pocketwizard.com/products/transmitter_receiver/flextt5-nikon/

whitey89

Likes Bikes and Dirt

Cheers Neil
Hey Neil,

Ive always wondered how you get such saturated photos. Is it photoshop or the settings on your camera?

ElectroFunkster

Likes Dirt
I run

Canon 7d
Canon 70-200 mm 2.8 IS USM II
Canon 18-55 3.5-4.5 - will upgrade this next
Canon 50mm 1.8
Speedlite 430exII
Manfrotto 190xPROb with 804rc head
Canon TC-80N3 remote timer

want
CANON 14mm f/2.8 II USM Lens
CANON 17mm f/4L Aspherical Ultra Wide Tilt Shift Lens
Speedlite 580
Canon 2x extender tube

akashra

Eats Squid
I typically use:

Canon 7D w/430 EXII and 24-70 f/2.8L
Canon 40D w/580 EXII and 70-200 f/2.8L USM and external battery pack
Canon 450D w/ Sigma 10-20

All with battery grips.

Obviously I'll only carry a max of two at a time, preference to only carry one.
There's a variety of other lenses in my kit, but this gives me enough variety to not need to swap lenses around etc, so I can quickly just swap cameras.
The 450D uses Ex3 cards (30MB/s); the 40D uses Ex4s (45MB/s), the 7D I use ExPro (90MB/s) cards.

My next purchase will probably be a 16-35 L, but the 24-70 needs to go in for repair first.

red_d0g

Likes Dirt
Canon 7D
- canon 135mm L F/2
- canon 17-40mm L F/4
- canon 50mm F/1.8II

use all of these for everything i shoot, and riding as well. the 135 is so nice for riding shots!

M1$T@ M1

Likes Bikes
Setup

Just started out with the following setup

EOS 550 D
18-135 IS
EFS 55-250 IS
50mm 1:8
Kenko 12/20/36 mm extenders (for macro)-want macro lense.
Hoya filters
Manfrotto 7322 tripod (ball head)
Canon battery grip (heaps of rechargeables-canon backups)
getting 430 or 580 speedlite

neil thompson

Likes Dirt
Hey Neil,

Ive always wondered how you get such saturated photos. Is it photoshop or the settings on your camera?
I use to add saturation a year or so ago now ive learnt to use my camera better some time have to take a bit of saturation off.
Im supprised I can getaway with out editing but that little bit I think makes them better on my computor.

Not to many Nikon uses

Cheers Neil