What is this damn noise??

thatsnotme

Likes Dirt
So recently, my bike has developed a bloody annoying noise, and I've been unable to figure out what's making it. I'll probably take it back into the shop on Wednesday, but if there's something I can do to fix it without having to worry about that, it would make me very happy (especially seeing as I want to ride next weekend, and if it's not ready that would make me very very sad).

The noise is the regular clicking type noise you can hear in this vid:

[video=youtube_share;NvfsZW68Iu8]https://youtu.be/NvfsZW68Iu8[/video]

That was taken this afternoon, and if anything it's even worse now.

So extra info:

* Only ever happens when pedalling. Never happens free-wheeling.
* Only ever happens when I'm on the bike. Can't replicate at all when it's on the work stand.
* Drivetrain is XT 2x10. Makes no difference whether I'm in the little or big ring at the front, or whether I'm on the inner or outer of the cassette.
* Happens in and out of the saddle.
* Happens whether the bike is under heavy load, or just cruising super slowly and gently. The only common factor is the pedals are turning.

I've pulled the cranks, cleaned and regreased them, didn't help. Chain's lubed, cassette feels solid (don't have the tools to pull it), bolts are all tight.

Any suggestions?

stewyh

Likes Dirt
Had a similar thing recently. Cracking noise when under power. Pulled half the bike to bits and turned out it was the threads where the pedal goes in the crankarm needed a grease and re-tighten! Worth a try.

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
Had a similar thing recently. Cracking noise when under power. Pulled half the bike to bits and turned out it was the threads where the pedal goes in the crankarm needed a grease and re-tighten! Worth a try.
Yep, pedal threads, or cleats threads in your shoes if you are running clipless.

will2

Likes Dirt
The noise happens whether I'm seated, or out of the saddle.

Should have mentioned as well, I can feel it through the pedals.
Bummer. I imagine it's pressfit? I've never had the displeasure of owning a PF bike so I don't know the noise but that would be where I'd start.

mitch_302

Likes Dirt
Have had something very similar that I'm hoping is now fixed with fancy (expensive) new Hope bottom bracket. Have you felt how freely the BB bearings are? Mine is press fit.

thatsnotme

Likes Dirt
I'll give that a shot, it can't hurt! Thing is I don't have to be under a lot of power at all, just gentle pedalling is enough to get this happening.

Bummer. I imagine it's pressfit? I've never had the displeasure of owning a PF bike so I don't know the noise but that would be where I'd start.
Yep, pressfit sadly. Thing is the bike's probably not even 6 months old, and hasn't done a whole lot of k's, so if it already needs a new BB I won't be too happy!

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Pop the chain off the chainwheels and spin the cranks - how do the BB bearings feel? If they are making that noise, they're making it because they're binding and releasing so it should show up if spun free of the chain.

Press fit is no big deal, you just need the right tools.

MARKL

Eats Squid
I'll give that a shot, it can't hurt! Thing is I don't have to be under a lot of power at all, just gentle pedalling is enough to get this happening.

Yep, pressfit sadly. Thing is the bike's probably not even 6 months old, and hasn't done a whole lot of k's, so if it already needs a new BB I won't be too happy!
My guess is also the bottom bracket, the other guesses are worth exploration. If it turns out to be the BB argue with the shop for it to be done as warranty, it shouldn't be like that in 6 months with low k's. Also ask the shop what they are going to do to stop it happening again? Is there a deeper issue at play? Alignment, tolerances etc?

stirk

Burner
I've had this and it turned out to be the little hard bit on the end of my laces hitting the crank arm, tick tick tick.

This ain't your problem though.

MARKL

Eats Squid
I've had this and it turned out to be the little hard bit on the end of my laces hitting the crank arm, tick tick tick.
Quick edit?

I have done the same thing with 5.10s rubbing crank arm on climb causing annoying noise

madstace

Likes Dirt
I can see its a Trek but other than that I can't make out the model. How does the derailleur hanger connect to the bike? On my old Giant Reign the hanger was bolted to the bike with a threaded cam. If it was dry it would make noise under most pedal loads. A bit of grease on the thread and facing against the inner of the dropout would keep it quiet for a while.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I'd be going with simple to difficult solutions.
1 - pedal stubs and cleats etc. Clean and lube.
2 - chain rings.
3 - derailleur tensions and hanger.
4 - rear axle (probably should be higher up).
5 - PF BBs are notorious for annoying noises...it my not be the bearing, just the connection interface. Lube it up and hope you don't need to buy an aftermarket threaded set insert.
6 - head set, stem, bars, grips...you never know, it may be the CSU.
7 - frame bearings.

thatsnotme

Likes Dirt
Pop the chain off the chainwheels and spin the cranks - how do the BB bearings feel? If they are making that noise, they're making it because they're binding and releasing so it should show up if spun free of the chain.

Press fit is no big deal, you just need the right tools.
I pulled the chain off, sat on it and had a good pedal. Cranks feel smooth as silk - no grabbing or rubbing. Possibly a tiny bit of noise, but unsure whether that's from the cranks / BB, or other stuff shifting around while I was pedalling. Any noise was 1/10th of the volume of before, so unless the chain is an excellent amp, not sure they're related.

My guess is also the bottom bracket, the other guesses are worth exploration. If it turns out to be the BB argue with the shop for it to be done as warranty, it shouldn't be like that in 6 months with low k's. Also ask the shop what they are going to do to stop it happening again? Is there a deeper issue at play? Alignment, tolerances etc?
If it does happen to be a BB, I'll definitely be asking for warranty service. I know stuff wears out and has to be replaced, but that shouldn't be happening on a new bike with low km's.

I can see its a Trek but other than that I can't make out the model. How does the derailleur hanger connect to the bike? On my old Giant Reign the hanger was bolted to the bike with a threaded cam. If it was dry it would make noise under most pedal loads. A bit of grease on the thread and facing against the inner of the dropout would keep it quiet for a while.
It's a Project One Trek Fuel EX. And no, I'm not made of money! Long story short, it's an alloy model that the LBS had built up and had on display, then were selling. At the time I was buying was in-between 2015 and 2016 models, and getting an XL bike from anyone that wasn't lower specced was damn near impossible. They had it on sale, and I grabbed it. It's basically a 2015 Fuel EX9, with Revelation forks, and upgraded hubs and rims.

Not sure whether you meant front or rear derailleur. Front connects like this:

IMG_1032.jpg

Rear like this:

IMG_1033.jpg

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
I can see its a Trek but other than that I can't make out the model.
Could be onto something here. Is it a carbon frame with proprietary BB95 bottom bracket? If it is, shithouse manufacturing. The OEM bearings are rubbish, and the tolerances where they fit into the frame are worse - often so loose the bearings literally fall out when you remove the crank!

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
I meant turn it by hand - your feet won't be sensitive enough to feel any tight spots in the bearing. It might not make the full click noise with no load on it, but you should be able to feel any tight spots with your fingers.

Otherwise pull out the BB and properly feel the bearings. If they're good the press fit itself is clicking, a bit of green loctite will cure that.