What if cleats were easier to clip into?

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Lol, are you accusing Ackers of been a beginner? :D :D

Could be of course that some people can pedal strike and stay upright and also it doesn't destroy pedals so maybe not a biggie untill you change to pedals that explode on rock strikes?

Happy enough that some people love them, they are after all light as hell compared with SPDs , but gee I see waaaay more SPDs on bikes at races.
no wouldn't say that lol, just from my experience I did destroy a few eggbeaters when I first started out, these days pretty rare, they do hang down a bit more than spds.

Ackland

chats d'élevage
anyway..... I'm sure the OP has more to worry about than pedal preferences....

I would agree that you may have taken on a very expansive project.....

driftking

Wheel size expert
Something similar has already been proposed although the down side it has no platform and its more for clip in ease.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2099765898/the-infinity-pedal
http://www.pinkbike.com/news/first-look-infinity-pedals-2014.html

p4pb10689119.jpg

As mentioned a more magnetized mechanism is a good idea, although if its strong enough to not be pulled off under high pulling loads than how do you make it easy to take of in a split second when you have no time to press a button? Its easy when you plan to drop a foot but mid corner to save a crash might be harder to initiate.

Lots of variables, if you can design it you will probably be a millionaire. Good luck.

teK--

Eats Squid
Lol, are you accusing Ackers of been a beginner? :D :D

Could be of course that some people can pedal strike and stay upright and also it doesn't destroy pedals so maybe not a biggie untill you change to pedals that explode on rock strikes?

Happy enough that some people love them, they are after all light as hell compared with SPDs , but gee I see waaaay more SPDs on bikes at races.
The lightweight eggbeaters with the ti or cast steel spindles are reportedly weaker than the forged upsized chromoly ones on the mallet DH. I only have experience with the latter and can vouch that they are bombproof.

redbruce

Eats Squid
So I am doing Design and Technology at school and for my Major Design Project I am looking to create an easier way to clip into cleats for riders that are new to cleats. It should be good for race starts and being able to put your foot out on berms and easily being able to clip back in again to hit a jump or do a technical section.

I haven't come up with a design idea yet but what are your thoughts? Do you think it would be a good idea to work on and what would you want to see come out of this project? will update this thread with pictures of progress of how its all going if you are interested :)
While Shimano cleats can be fiddly to get into, and occasionally out of when muddy, my son uses Time ATAC cleats for BMX and MTB racing and hasn't had a problem. Others like Crank Bros design for the same reason.

Like Forkin (post #17), not sure if this is an answer looking for a question. Still fresh eyes.....

Actually now I have mentioned CB, worth noting don't confuse form with function either.

I also note and concur with Copsticks (post #12; having just had my daughter and a riding mates son go through the tribulations and trials of Yr 12 folios this yr).

Last edited:

Staneja15

Cannon Fodder
Electro-magnet might be a consideration.
With the new Di2 Shimano shifter system now available for MTB, battery packs are already designed for frame mounting.
This would give the ability to be "held in" when you need to, and instantly "release" if needs be.

Not everyone is a weight weenie.... and egg beaters are shit.
This seems very interesting and I like the idea of magnets which were my first thoughts on how i could attack this problem. I think it is definitely worth looking into.

Staneja15

Cannon Fodder
I did D&T in high school and can offer a slightly different perspective.

you might have good intentions, but you might be bitting off more than you can chew.

first and formost... do you have the means to make a prototype pedal? ie do you have access to a 3d printer?, cnc, mill etc? or a shit load of money to pay people to do it?
IS IT FEASIBLE ?!?!

if your answer to that is yes... then maybe look into ALL clip-in pedal designs and try and take the best of easy design and make your own.

if your answer is no....... look into something else thats bike related.
My mate did a work stand for his major work. Takes it to every race/ride and is something you can actually use! (unlike 99% of the shit people make, but never touch again... myself included lol)

I'm in the process of designing a ceiling mounted bike repair stand, means I dont need to take bike off stand to it flip around. Something I can rotate 360.

dont forget your portfolio has the HUGE chuck of marks.... dont neglect it. If shit hits the fan with your actual project, as long as you have documented your processes, steps, R&D, receipts etc etc you will still do fine in the subject. and FUCKING BACK UP YOUR WORK ON 2 USB's/ to the cloud

Other ideas:
rip off bontragers TLR charger pump?
specific bike tools?
bike specific tool box, with trolley/wheels/drawers/lights/sound system?
phone mount, waterproof it?
lights + mounts?
does your bike have internal routing? rip off park tools magnetic cable routing tool?

it doesn't have to be unique... it just has to be good AND ANSWER YOUR OBJECTIVE.

Good Luck
Wow thanks for such a detailed response it is very much so appreciated. I agree with what you are saying. Also, yes i do have access to a 3D printer to make possible prototypes but even a guide through the use of magnets or a plastic mount to the cleat to help out newer riders clip in would also work. I will however look into the other ideas you suggested too so thank you for those and your overall advice :)

Staneja15

Cannon Fodder
Something similar has already been proposed although the down side it has no platform and its more for clip in ease.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2099765898/the-infinity-pedal
http://www.pinkbike.com/news/first-look-infinity-pedals-2014.html

View attachment 301726

As mentioned a more magnetized mechanism is a good idea, although if its strong enough to not be pulled off under high pulling loads than how do you make it easy to take of in a split second when you have no time to press a button? Its easy when you plan to drop a foot but mid corner to save a crash might be harder to initiate.

Lots of variables, if you can design it you will probably be a millionaire. Good luck.
Awesome, thank you! This speeds up my research a little and will give me a few ideas on how i can attack this problem. Cheers for the help!