What happened to night riding?

Mica

Likes Dirt
It's been bugging me for a while this one (and probably shouldn't encourage others as enjoy having the trails to ourselves) but where have all the night riders gone?

Years back was riding night regularly to mix it up and sneak in a mid week ride and always saw others out on the trails. Fell out of favour around 10 years back with little kids in the house but been back at it the last couple of years regularly with a similar group of busy middle aged dads and it's deserted out there.

More than happy to have the place to ourselves but just wondering why we're the only ones? Have always enjoyed a night ride as it makes the familiar suddenly very unfamiliar. Also great to sneak in a ride then have a beer or two and a laugh in the carpark with nowhere else to be or other things to rush off too. Being in QLD the climate also makes it extra appealing.

Have flexible work arrangements meant more daytime rides during the week? Is there less interest as 24hour races etc have fallen out of favour? Can you not ride without a sick GoPro edit? What's going on? Any clues?

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
I feel like it's linked with the decline/death of 24 hour racing, and people getting older and having kids.

Ten, fifteen years ago there always seemed to be a race coming up, so a bunch of people would be nagging each other to do some night laps in preparation. Now a lot of the races are gone, and with that I think the impetus for someone to nag you into heading out at night.

For a lot of the guys I used to ride with, that era was pre-kids as well with all the extra spare time that entails. It also doesn't seem as good an idea to do it on your own.

I haven't been out on the trails under lights since the last Mont. Should do something about that.

Jpez

Down on the left!
I feel like it's linked with the decline/death of 24 hour racing, and people getting older and having kids.

Ten, fifteen years ago there always seemed to be a race coming up, so a bunch of people would be nagging each other to do some night laps in preparation. Now a lot of the races are gone, and with that I think the impetus for someone to nag you into heading out at night.

For a lot of the guys I used to ride with, that era was pre-kids as well with all the extra spare time that entails. It also doesn't seem as good an idea to do it on your own.

I haven't been out on the trails under lights since the last Mont. Should do something about that.
And maybe those folks that made the effort to get out after work to turn the legs over in times gone bu now have Zwift. Or an eeb to do a quick lap at lunch.
I’ve been doing regular nights for a while now. Sometimes with others , mostly by myself. Just have to ride within your limits when alone and expect a kangaroo around every corner and you’ll be right.
I really like the tunnel vision sensation of moving at speed at night so really have to real myself back.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Night riding's such good fun. I miss the weekly You Yangs night session. I haven't been game to ride the local trail at night as people barely ride there during the day, let alone at night - and the grass tends to hide occasional pockets of little sniper rocks that are just waiting to grab the front wheel.

I really like the tunnel vision sensation of moving at speed at night...
I love that sensation. (As long as I know the trail... :p)

Jabubu

let you google that for me
Where abouts are you based Mica? On the off chance you're up here in Cairns, there's a night time event at Davies Creek on the 8th July and I know a few people that love a night ride around Smithfield.

I've done it a few times and you're right in that it makes the familiar seem unfamiliar at times. But also it hones your focus and you get less distracted by features that are either side of you. And rainforest riding at night feels twice as fast!

shiny

Go-go-gadget-wrist-thingy
My night riding has transitioned to crack o dawns. WFH means I can get out for an hour or more depending how early I get up, get home drop kids at school and be logged in on time for work.

This time of year it’s lights for all the ride but other times of the year maybe the start of the ride only. Might try a night ride this week to mix it up but if it wasn’t for riding in the dark I would ride even less. Which isn’t as much as I would like.

Mica

Likes Dirt
Where abouts are you based Mica
Brisbane, though rainforest in the dark sounds great.

Certainly spend more time riding at night than daylight hours with the various life commitments and happy to have a crew to ride with as not sure if venture out at night solo.

Didn't think of zwift taking out a few people, very valid point.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
The WFH thing, the XC to Gravity enduro move, the shuttles during the day and virtual cycling . I dont do as many nightrides as I used to but there is still a few getting out there on Strava.

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
My crew try and get out for a night bash every now and then. Usually in the lead up to a bigger event or mtb trip away to help everyone get a bit fitter.

Agree, rarely see any others around.

Have done the odd solo mission on the local mountain trails, gets hell spooky with the local wildlife around, but is very peaceful.

With how good lights are these days, surprised its not more popular than ever.

Screenshot_20230630_145412_Strava.jpg

LPG

likes thicc birds
The crew I ride with used to do a weekly night ride and a morning ride before work on set days plus a weekend ride. Since COVID disrupted riding schedules, adding kids for some of us etc we haven't been able to ride together as often and the night rides have dropped off. I think some of us being able to WFH means we can sneak out for midweek rides more easily without being in the dark but not usually with a big crew as our schedules are now different.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Haven’t done it since the last Mont 24…
Good fun, set some of my best times around the Kowen trails with the tunnel vision zone thing going!

discofrank

Likes Dirt
I almost only get out on the trails at night. We have a good regular crew riding on Thursday nights at Kalamunda. So much fun.
this!! been trying to get fit enough... inbtween sickness/hospital etc YEARS ago it was wednesday night so good

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
Still got a few good night crews kicking around Hobart. Fits in well for those of us with offspring

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

Fred Nurk

No custom title here
Last time I attempted night riding I gave up, fucking giant spiderwebs all over the singletrack everywhere, right at helmet height. Granted I was on holidays so extra cautious about it but haven't managed to go for a night ride around the local trails as yet.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
I got out 4 nights a week from 2014 to 2019 at Lysterfield, used to get upset with weeks under 150km. I was super late too, typically got into the park at 9:30pm. I can count on ONE hand the number of people I encountered over that 5 year period.

Tracks at night take on a whole different feel. Go the wrong way on a one way track and you’ll feel like you’ve stepped through a portal and you’re riding in Canada

Jabubu

let you google that for me
Last time I attempted night riding I gave up, fucking giant spiderwebs all over the singletrack everywhere, right at helmet height. Granted I was on holidays so extra cautious about it but haven't managed to go for a night ride around the local trails as yet.
There's a night time ride at Davies Creek this Saturday.