What Gearing do you guys run on your All Mountains

Golf Pro

Likes Dirt
Hi Guys
What gearing are you guys running on the front and rear of your bikes?
Do you guys Single, Dual or Triple front rings also.
Any info would be great.
Thanks
Golfpro

JBR

Likes Dirt
I'm running 36 22 front dual and 34t cassette on my nomad.

Personally I don't think you need a triple on an AM bike. I am considering upgrading to 10 speed and going to a 36t cassette and a 34 or 36 front single ring.

It just depends how big the hills are where you ride, and how big your legs are!

rone

Eats Squid
3x9 with an 11-34 cassette on my Tracer. Thought about dumping the 44 for a bashie, but then i'd have to up the middle to a 36. Wife won't let me buy new bike bits and I still use the 44 semi-regularly on a descent that I ride so it stays for now...

Last edited:

Bluemtb

Likes Bikes
3x9 because it came with the bike and I always use the low gear on the up hill slog back up to the car.

ando_assi

Likes Dirt
1*9 with hammershmitt AM... would recommend it to all but the racers, a bit less efficient in over drive, but chain line/dropping issue gone!

MrCove

South Shore Distribution
......my 'AM' bike is also my 'XC' bike, 'Trail' bike, etc

1x9
36t with 11-32 cassette (38t with a 11-34 cassette give you about the same low gear and a higher high gear)
sometimes gets a bit hard on tecky climbs but it's worth it for never loosing your chain or getting chainsuck etc

may go 1x10, using a 37t ring with a 11-36 cassette

bike ia a Spesh Enduro '09, 13kg

4dabush

Likes Dirt
2 x 9 24/36t
Blackspire chainguide and bashy
11-32 cassette
By the time I get to first gear, its generally too steep to keep the front end down anyway (or i just run out of puff and technique :p).

arakkis

Likes Bikes
1x 10 with a 34T front and a 36T back. Had no problems with the trails i've ridden so far. Happy to walk if it gets all too hard...

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
2x9 ... 36/26T ... and have recently put on a roadie cassette 11/27 to see if closure ratio makes a difference on dirt.

36 for flat and down ... 26 for UP and fat days

ronster44

Likes Dirt
2x10 36/24 with Gamut shift guide 11/36 out the back,mate this get me up and down every thing and is about to do the Capital punishment 100km eekk!!

Wiffle

Likes Dirt
2x9 11-34 and 22-24/36 rr/ff. Happy to eventually go to 11-36rr 2x10. big ring is a waste of time on AM; go the extra clearance..:)

paulb

Likes Dirt
44/32/22 x 11-32 on the Transition. I planned to go 2 ring but once I got the bike I found myself using the big ring more than ever before. It just wants to go fast.

petertronica

Likes Dirt
22/36/bash and 11-34.

Whilst I kinda like the idea of 1x10;

- I reckon you'll only save 200g max
- I hate having to get off and push.
- I use the small ring a fair bit on the really steep hills, especially after the second hour of riding..
- I never drop my chain (my pitch has a direct-mount derailleur, maybe this helps?)

Wiffle

Likes Dirt
44/32/22 x 11-32 on the Transition. I planned to go 2 ring but once I got the bike I found myself using the big ring more than ever before. It just wants to go fast.
bear in mind if you run a 36T middle ring you will only lose your highest 2-3 gears in the big ring. The extra clearance is well worth it IMHO.

digitalhippie

Likes Dirt
22/36/bash and 11-34.

Whilst I kinda like the idea of 1x10;

- I reckon you'll only save 200g max
- I hate having to get off and push.
- I use the small ring a fair bit on the really steep hills, especially after the second hour of riding..
- I never drop my chain (my pitch has a direct-mount derailleur, maybe this helps?)
For me 1x10 isn't about getting off and pushing, nor is the small weight saving especially relevant even if it's a nice little bonus - I could save more weight (and rotating weight at that) by not running a 2.5 front. The extra clearance is a bigger plus I reckon.

With 1x10 need to match your setup to how you like to ride, where you ride. Not surprising you use the granny a fair bit when the lowest gear on the mid ring is 36T : 34T. I'd be hitting the granny too.

For me a 33T chain ring and 11-36 cassette works pretty well, and the more I ride it the better the whole thing works. For sure some days later in the ride it gets tough, if you had a granny you'd use it, but you don't and hey, funny thing is you usually get by anyway.

1x10 is a compromise like anything else, but even just for the simplified riding experience it's worth it IMO, that's what I really enjoy about it.