What do YOU want in an MTB Film? (10 Questions)

scuba05

Likes Dirt
1. Regardless of YOUR riding style, what do you think is the most interesting type of riding to watch?
(what gets you motivated)

Freeride and Downhill. It shows how hard and gutsy some of the riders are (no offence to other riders)

2. Do you prefer a mix of all riding disciplines in a Film, or do you prefer a specific type of riding to be shown more so than another?
(Earthed/Trials is Dead style versus Roam/NWD/CKD/Stripped)

I like a mix like The Collective's, but so many movies are focusing on slope style and DJ's. DH is shown a bit, but i cant say iv seen to much 4x or such. Would like to see more of that in the more high profile movies(collective, NWD, cranked etc.)

3. What type of music do you want to listen to in a Film?
(Rock, Punk, Pop, House, Electro, 80's, Oldschool)

Depends. Flowy singletrack goes well with slow or mellow rock etc, whereas pinning DH and drops etc go with the harder rock, almost metal

4. Do you place a high emphasis on the raw quality of a video?
(would you rather watch something in HD or is it irrelevant to you)

As long as it doesnt pixelate when its on a standard tv, its fine for me. Iv made a couple of short vids with mates, and there by no means high quality.

5. How highly do you rank production values in an MTB film?
(High - Roam/Collective/NWD versus Just riding and shooting - Earthed/super8)

- and if not, do you think high production values "spoil" an MTB Film?
Dont mind either, as long as they are interesting and showing good riding etc.

6. Do you like slow motion at all?

No overkill, it just takes the emphasis away. The collective use it well, but others just overuse it

7. What is your favourite MTB film/Show of all time?
Have to be ROAM, although seasons is starting to grow on me

8. How much do you want to PAY for an MTB film?
(based on length or based on quality)
- and do you think MTB DVDs are overpriced, if so, Why?
Some are def overpriced, but when you think about it, they only appeal to a very selected demographic, so they need to make their money somehow. Around $25-$30 would be good.

9. Where do you want MTB films to be shot:
(Locally (AUS), worldwide, does it need to be "Epic", or can be in someones backyard?)
Local stuff would be great, but i havent found many(apart from Inertia, and a movie made by some locals) Doesnt have to be in whistler, can be a homemade trail thats unique. As long as your riding

10. Who do you want to see ride in an Australian MTB film?
(with emphasis on riders that arent so well known but are damn good and deserve a plug.)

Both. Get some Aussie riders, both pro and amateur, so they can "feed of each other" (If you've seen seasons, you will get the joke). Also some chick riders and some DH on a HT.

Last edited:

Ride.Dirt.Wake.

Likes Bikes and Dirt
1. Regardless of YOUR riding style, what do you think is the most interesting type of riding to watch?
Watching Hardcore Freeride, and DH racing

2. Do you prefer a mix of all riding disciplines in a Film, or do you prefer a specific type of riding to be shown more so than another?
A mix, otherwise they all sort of blend and nothing really stands out

punk rock/alternative

i wouldnt want it to be crap quality if thats what you mean.

good quality is important

They definately stand out more with more production value, but racing is not scripted, so you get each individuals style

• Not too much, i mean the magic of freeride on youtube overdoes it.
  • some, like in Earthed:The Law of Fives
DropIn/NWD8

$40-50. Yeah they're very high priced but they cost alot too

bit of both. There's sweet trails everywhere.

Jo Fox

NickM91

Likes Dirt
Downhill always amazes me, especially with slowmo sections. Dirtjumping is also great to watch. I don't mind park so much, as long as it's nice airs and that.

A mix of riding always keeps it entertaining, but going from something like extreme downhill and freeriding to say trials wouldn't work for me.

I always seem to like the music you put in to your videos olly. Great mix of all kinds of music. Supporting local aussie bands is a must though ;)

I find HD that much better than SD, it just brings the picture alive more and you see that much more detail, especially in slowmo sections

I really like the films from the collective so somehting along those lines. Especially things like ziplines through trees is just awesome.

Slow mo is awesome! More the merrier

Roam or Seasons, Drop in is pretty cool also :p

I think mtb dvd's are a little overpriced, but the market for them is relatively small compared to a box office film or something of the likes so it's understandable.

I don't really mind, i like seeing the local trails though makes u realise how many quality trails are out and about in oz

don't really mind, as long as the riding is schweet :p

THDH

Likes Dirt
10. definanatly would like to see more of Shaun Oconnor on film
he has such a nice riding style and is heaps fast. or any of the young aussies

Purt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Downhill, freeride, dj and park.

A mix of everything. It gets boring when theres just freeride or just downhill.

Techno, fast. No head screaming rock.

I don't mind, as long as its good enough to see :rolleyes:.

I like a bit of both, but I want to see the riders personality. Not the producer saying we want you to do this. Rider chooses the place and what he/she wants to do.

Only where its necessary and not going overboard.

NWD

I want them for 5c, but its not going to happen. :rolleyes: Apart from redbull and mtb mag ones
Yes, I know alot of money and effort is put in, but I'd personally rather spend it on my bike.

I don't care, as long as it looks cool and has some cool drops/scenary/jumps.

See 9. as long as they have a nice style.

Sputnick

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Downhilling or street riding

The NWD fils are great. Just what i like in a film!!

Rock is the best to listen to.

If it is possible its great to have s good quality picture.

I live the style that the earthed films are filmed in.

It is good if the song starts to get slow. Eg Fabian Barrels Section in NWD 8 was fantastic. It went slowmo as the song was slow.

NWD is pretty good but i also like the earthed films. Between the tape is also very good.

They are very overpriced. they are like $50 each!! i would love to pay $30 for one!!!

Would love to see some local riding. I heard there will be a movie of the Vic State Series!!

As many riders as possible would be great. Those riders that are more as unknown should get more credit!!

Cheers

Nick

Linus

Squid
: Freeriding or Downhill, but the scenery and the way the film is shot can make it more or less interesting, eg. I love the Northshore section at the start of roam, the music, the scenery, the camera angles, all perfect.

:I don't really mind, as long as its exciting.

It definitely depends on the way the film is shot and edited. The Athertons section in Earth 4 fits perfectly with the music, eben though its not the type of music I like.

Yeah for me the quality makes a film more watchable.

I don't think production values makes a great difference.

As most people said, The Collective and Roam use a good amount, but overuse it annoying.

Roam or Earthed 4

Around $30-$50 is fair.

9. Where do you want MTB films to be shot?
Don't care, as long as the scenery is interesting.

Don't care, as long as their riding keeps me interested.

Macr

Likes Dirt
A bit of everything, but sometimes you need to break away from the full face helmet set. I would like to see a Enduro/XC/trail rider flowing some nice trail as well. Urban/trials and skate park as well.

More like anything from the collective

A range of music as long as it suits the riding

Maybe not HD as most of Australia do not have HD TV's, but quality footage is important.

The collective series once again, they are just so well done.

Only where its necessary (Roam/Stripped) and not going overboard.

The collective series once again, they have a bit of a story.

$40 max

Australia for some of it (But it has to be a mix of environmentally different, like normal bush, alpine, dense green forest). Unfortunately the Australian bush can look bland on film, so you really need to add lots of green and colours in between typical Aussie eucalypt scenes. Red soil of the desert, dense rainforest, the green of Tasmania, etc. Go find something different around the world, like NS in Scotland. Keep away from over used stuff like NS in Canada. Maybe something like a summit to sea trail in the pacific isles. I don't want the see the same stuff as all the other MTB videos. Inspire people to travel and ride somewhere different.

Get a couple of the good Enduro/Trail riders amongst others and take them to somewhere unique. Pick one or two locals that rip up the area you are filming. Maybe 2 or 3 big names as draw cards as well.

Last edited:

Goojono

Squid
10 question reply

Definitely free ride or jumping or anything with lots of action.

Nah there needs to be the best of all worlds, show all the interesting stuff from each type.

Give it a git of hip hop and r&b

irrelevant

Theres not much money in it but people would buy it if it was distributed properly and in all the right places like not just bike shops but also in surf-shops etc.

* Only where its necessary and not going overboard. But overall yeah its pretty good.

Roam!!!!!!!

for a good half hour of good quality riding, I'd pay $15.00 Aus

If it was worldwide, it would be awesome. but if it was just based in one country and the riding was all good, no one would care.

Riders that arent so well known but are damn good and deserve a plug.

mushroom

Likes Dirt
Fast trail riding and freeriding. Something with cheeky lines, and a fun film. (eg. in the same was as Afterlame, the snowboard film).

I like to see riders that are skilled in a few different areas, but mostly sticking to one style.

Its good when the riders choose the tracks to some extent, so that their characters show through.

Not as high as on the quality of the sound. That being said, steadycam shots look fantastic.

Big fan of the production. I really love zip-wire shots and steadycam. Fantastic.

- Only where its necessary (Roam/Stripped) and not going overboard. About as much as you'd like to see fast motion. Rarely.

Haven't seen enough, but I liked the doco 'Singletrack Minds'.

I don't want to pay for them. I watch most MTB footage online.

Any new lines or creative shots

Johnny

adam_lavv

Likes Bikes
a jump shown start to finish

umm personelly (sp) I'd like a Dj movie with a street clip

aussie rap

I prefer HD but sometimes poor quility ads to the charm

not sure????

only on bit or complicated tricks

DROP IN

fuel tv

Locally

locals

adtee23

Likes Bikes
flowing runs, fast stuff

a mix is always good and keep everyone happy

rock, hip hop

most newish dvds are fine for me, hdd is a stretch i think which is unnececary

7/10

( Collective, and cranked6

$30

anywhere as long as its good footage, i do not care the location...

anyone ripping, names mean nothing to me in a film , i just wanna see good quality riding, something that will make me get up grab my bike and go for a ride!!!!!

thankyou.

jon55sey

Likes Dirt
DH Racing. Something about it always has me on the edge of my seat.

A mix is always good. But the movie needs genre. Continuously skipping between different disciplines sucks balls.

Any music that suits the mood and style. Don't wanna be putting Greensleeves in a fast raggard DH section.

It is irrelevant to me but HD is sick.

Riding and shooting works good in my opinion. All those flying fox things are cool but it doesn't do much for me. I spose that comes from watching DH race movies where that kind of stuff isn't used as much.

Only when necessary. Its kinda over rated.

Drift 3 hits the spot. But then again most DH race movies do it for me.

If the teaser looks good I'm happy to pay any price for a good movie, to an extent.

Where ever and when ever. If something is there to be ridden it may as well be filmed too.

I'd like to see some young guns having there time to shine. We see the top pros in just about every movie.. Give the youngens a shot I say!

mossmanguru

Likes Bikes and Dirt
(what gets you motivated)

Fast downhill and dirt jumping. Makes it a shit load better when it shows a sesh or a line maybe 10 - 20 sec of the same place such as a set of dirt jumps from several angles so you can get to know the jumps ect. or for downhill show a line of the same track maybe 1 min give or take so you can see that the rider is consistent not just his best runs taken out.

(Earthed/Trials is Dead style versus Roam/NWD/CKD/Stripped)

I myself am more interested in dirt jumping / street and downhill than others like xc or trials so I will say show them more than others. Usually movies are either about hucking such as DH or FR or DJ or fitness suc as ROAD or XC or street such as BMX STREET MTB ect. so the DH people dnt mind watching a bit of FR and vise versa

I don't think anything generally suits anything as long as its in time with the movie it should be good. But then again you can tell what doesnt suit.

Yes the better the quality the better it is. Olly you have a very good reputation for high quality movies. keep it up

bit of both float a boat. No body likes seeing the same thing in all movies.

• [*]YES, Like NWD, the more the merrier if it suits it
    [*]Only where its necessary (Roam/Stripped) and not going overboard.
    [*]NO, basically none at all (earthed)

Yes when its timed in with the music. With hardcore shit its fine but when some people are riding nothing then there is no need. MAKE SURE ITS TIMED WITH THE MUSIC.

(NWD, Roam, Collective, CKD, Stripped, DropIn, STUND, Earthed 1-4, Super8, Illusionary Lines, Compression, Chain reaction, Drift 1-3, Clict 1&2...you get the idea)

NWD

(based on length or based on quality)

The better the production the more the cost. Thats just fair. Wouldn't pay anymore than $60 for one. I think a fair price is $40

(Locally (AUS), worldwide, does it need to be "Epic", or can be in someones backyard?)

Its good to see pros riding tracks that you have ridden in AUS but its about the riding so where ever the best tracks are the pros should be riding them so defiantly worldwide.

(with emphasis on riders that arent so well known but are damn good and deserve a plug.)

Anyone good enough. Its good to see new riders out there. And to see them along a movie with pros its even better. Everyone loves sam hill:p

Thank you!:)

Hope this helps I have answered these the best I could and in most description.

Adam

zaccyboy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Normally DH racing get's me on the edge of my seat, and sometimes a healthy dose of Freeride is good.

I don't mind having a few different riding styles mixed up, but I really hate watching XC, it's so boring.

Rock never hurts, but I do like hip-hop aswell (gives the riding an even flowier look).

I'm not really that picky about quality, but it is nice to watch a high quality video. I also like the filming techniques used in NWD movies.

I don't rate it that highly, but I don't mind the flying-fox (zip line) shooting like in NWD films, but I usually just like the normal filimg style like in DH race footage.

Only on big crashes, and on technical bits of the track like rock gardens etc.

I really like the new seasons and I also like the earthed movies.
My favourite show would have to be Drop In.

8. How much do you want to PAY for a MTB film?
No more than $30-40.

9. Where do you want MTB films to be shot?
I like seeing local tracks in big budget movies, but I also like drooling over the British Columbian riding scene.

Upcoming riders and a healthy dose of Sam Hill, Nathan Rennie and Chris Kovarik.

06acrider

Likes Dirt
i love watching the fast flowy singletrack. and also i love watching techy street scenes.

i prefer a mixed type film.

rock and punk

i find it is irrelevant. aslong as the footage isn't grainy i'm happy

YES, Like NWD, the more the merrier if it suits it
NO, basically none at all (earthed)

(NWD, Roam, Collective, CKD, Stripped, DropIn, STUND, Earthed 1-4, Super8, Illusionary Lines, Compression, Chain reaction, Drift 1-3, Clict 1&2...you get the idea)

NWD

(based on length or based on quality) i don't mind spending upto say $50 aslong as it's atleast an hour and a half long.

(Locally (AUS), worldwide, does it need to be "Epic", or can be in someones backyard?) anywhere that has a good riding spot.

i prefer watching the unknown riders aslong as they have alot of talent.

fatnold

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Trials riders riding street or skate park. And over 40's guys riding bikes.

I like to see the one rider ride different styles. ie, street or park guy goes to trails or vice versa. Or over 40's guys riding different styles. ie, jason recliner guy rides bmx track etc.

Cool songs that suit the scene. Like 'Killing an Arab' by the Cure as the guy rides to the skate park with the guy tail wipping off gutters on each tinny crash of the symbols then 'I'm Learning to Fly' by Tom Petty as the rider warms up at the skate park (gotta have the cheesy sequence) then 'Black Milk' by Beasts of Burbon as the rider drags his arse home. Or the over 40's guy has 'Till the White Rose Blooms Again' by Nana Mouskouri playing as he does a tiny ababucca and half cabs out now gasping for breath.Then coaster wheelies all the way home to 'Dreamin' by Cliff Richard.

I don't care.

I don't care

Only as a replay or 'how to'

I liked Dropin because (as noted above) it showed riders riding diferent syles on different days. ie, say DT riding skate park then street then Dj etc. And there was the occassional over 40's rider. (dropin NZ)

Should rephrase the question as 'willing' to pay.....nobody 'wants' to pay.

Sydney. It would mean that all of a sudden, if by miracle, there where places to ride where the state was not trying to stop you.

Me and my mates.

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
I love seeing DH rinding such as thw Whistler section of Roam, Stevie Smith in Season. I really like seeing the World Cup footage such as IL or F1rst, and I liked the Mont Saint Ann section in Seasons.
Free ride such as the Andrew Shandro section in Seasons or the Bearcloth sections in.....well everything.
DJ's and Street, why not!

To be honest, I like the Straight DH DVD's like Eathed, IL and F1rst, I don't think I could watch a whole street vid or just DJ'ing.
I also like the Collective's way of doing things.

All styles work, ya just need to pick the right song.

HD, HD, HD!

High!

Only where its necessary.

F1rst.

Max. $40
- and do you think MTB DVDs are overpriced, if so, Why? Yes, Considering the number of cameras used, people used ect, the cost of Action sport videos are what to high.

All of the above....epic works as well as someones back yard. IMO.

Some top stars along side some local pinners......i.e Sam Hill next to some hot pinner local junior.

parker93

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Smooth Flow-y Downhill tracks and some nice big Dirtjumps :)

As long as its not XC or similar then i should be happy!

'Hard' Rock

As long as its clear and not mobile phone quality.

I dont mind a bit of both is nice like in F1rst, They have some race footage and some non-race footage for each rider.

Not much slow motion, I like seeing tricks etc in real-time.

Really couldnt say, I love seasons, F1rst and NWD at the moment.

Depends how good it is. Id like them all for free if thats possible, but I think $45 and up is a bit to expensive. But then the film makers dont make much profit.

I like Australia tracks but i also like seeing overseas tracks, so i dont mind. Cam McCauls backyard swimming pool shoot was nice to see (Seasons)

Im not fussed. Would love to see some more amatures though that deserve some big $$$