What did you do TO / WITH / FOR your bike today!

ninjananna

Likes Dirt
Made (polity suggested) him buy some shoes, so he spent this afternoon surprisingly not falling over getting used to clip less. We'll take him around Stromlo tomorrow and see how he likes it all.

Hopefully I've helped another one join the fold!!
Don't be a shithead - take the poor fella to Sparrow Hill for his first proper ride - that is unless he's not really a mate and you're trying to score a cheap 2nd hand (only 1 ride old) bargain hardtail. If that's the case then race him up the ABC switchbacks - scream down wedgetail and veer off onto Pork Barrel. That should do it.

ninjananna

Likes Dirt
Rode 27kms of Stromlo today - prior to this I was undecided regarding the dropper post I've just installed - Pork Barrel, Deep Creek and Double Dis convinced me of its virtues and that the weight penalty is work it

Minlak

custom titis
Bought a new commuter / family rider.... Got a Merida Speeder. Bit heavier than I would liked but for the price pretty happy....

takai

Eats Squid
Helped a mate from work choose a new mountain bike. Essentially his first bike, bought with the intent of getting into mountain biking, but not wanting to spend mega bucks in case he doesn't. Also has no real idea of what to look for or tell the difference between all the variations.

The budget was around a grand, which I stretched a bit. And I decided a hard tail should be the go as a) you can't get anything decent in a dually for those dollars, and b) everyone should learn on a hard tail - helps make you a better rider.

Ended up pointing him at a Giant XTC 27.5 2, 2014 model. Cracking value at $1300 even. Rebas, SLX shadow plus on a Deore 2x10 drivetrain, through axles on both ends. Pretty slick frame too I think. Only weak point was the non-series Deore brakes.

Made (polity suggested) him buy some shoes, so he spent this afternoon surprisingly not falling over getting used to clip less. We'll take him around Stromlo tomorrow and see how he likes it all.

Hopefully I've helped another one join the fold!!
This one:

?

JoelFitz

Likes Dirt
Yeah landed all wrong, kinda had bike leaned over and already off camber landing. So landed quite heavily on the side of the wheel. Put it out of shape!

maxpowers

Likes Bikes
I'll be sure to go before I go... what time does this place open on a weekend? Thinking of heading there early tomorrow for a couple of laps (like 630am early...)
Accordingly to the website it's open from sunrise to sunset. Heaps of people there this morning but got pretty quiet after about 11am.

Dan.

XYGTHO

Likes Dirt
Started putting my new 27.5 dually together. Discovered one of the XT brakes which are supposed to be new! isn't, full lever travel and no pad movement at all and has selastic around the thread at the lever! Thought Id keep my money in Aus for a good deal, bummed. Next time I'll be straight to CRC or pay more again and go to my LBS, hard to pass up a good deal though. The Aus bike shop I bought from will be getting a call Monday.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
This one:

?
That's the one. Although for some reason OnyaBike put Maxxis Crossmarks on it - no real complaints about that, just not sure why.

Nice bike, I'd ride it!

I'll ask if he is up for the extra drive to Kowen, I agree that Stromlo is a bit brutal to learn on! Not entirely my idea though, another mate of his only really knows Stromlo. But stuff like Willow Link and the like should hopefully be tame enough.

Klips

Likes Dirt
That's the one. Although for some reason OnyaBike put Maxxis Crossmarks on it - no real complaints about that, just not sure why.

Nice bike, I'd ride it!

I'll ask if he is up for the extra drive to Kowen, I agree that Stromlo is a bit brutal to learn on! Not entirely my idea though, another mate of his only really knows Stromlo. But stuff like Willow Link and the like should hopefully be tame enough.
For a tame loop you could go dusty critter loop to warm up (a lot of people forget it exists) then fenceline, rascals, wattle, blackberry to the fire road, ride fire road to slant six, willo, party line and come on home. No need to introduce people to DD before they know what they're doing.

You won't want to do Kowen, it's the Kowalski so it's taped off for racing.

Haakon

That's the one.
No, actually its this one he bought... Some really nice details on the frame, Giant really know how to do alloy these days! The chain stays are pretty slick, completely different each side. Lovely slender seat stays too. Rides really nicely.

View attachment

Said friend survived the day. As suggested, we started with Dusty Critters and wound our way across the Willow link. Did bring him down Double Dissolution, but with assorted warnings and to just slowly roll down it. Back along Dingo etc.

He went down a couple of times from not getting unclipped in time, but always got up grinning. He reckons he realised quickly why we insisted he get clip less pedals and shoes, and why the extra couple of hundred on something with good forks was a good idea. I think the XTC will serve him well for a while, and always better to spend a bit more and get something that makes you want to ride it.

I think we have a convert. :thumb:

Last edited:

ninjananna

Likes Dirt
good to hear - there's nothing wrong with DD provided a newbie doesn't do it too fast.

Being a roadie I'd bet he's probably riding with his seat height set "properly" which probably won't do him to many favours whilst learning the hard way that rocks make your front wheel stop but strangley enough everything else keeps moving forward then sidewards :) I'd probably try to convince him to drop the seat height just a touch until he gets comfortable on the trails.

I remember my first ever ride - about 3kms in at Kowen moving along nicely until - wham try to shoulder charge a tree - recovered thought "shit that hurt, better slow down" been a convert ever since

Haakon

He's not a roadie, he's not a cyclist at all. Has enough basic skills to stay upright. Fitness is decent as he had done a bit of cross country running, but it's a different set of muscles to build!

He got given a clapped out Norco Sasquatch, but it quickly became apparent that was not the tool for cross country riding and it wasn't worth doing up - but it implanted the idea ;)

Had his seat low, which will be fine for now while confidence builds.