What did you do TO / WITH / FOR your bike today!

ChopSticks

Banned
Why did you buy these?

The racing ralph rear has finally kicked the bucket, so I began looking into a new rear tyre....

Really wanted to try a new combo of nobby nics with the Hans upfront, but wiggle were out of stock, CRC was more expensive, and torpedo 7 didnt even stock them

did some reading and was convinced the Rock Razor would be the go...but couldn't find a single store which stocked them....yet :(

So I ended up settling for the new 2014 Schwalbe Thunder Burd, snakeskin pacestar (26 x 2.10 - 445g).
Only comes in 2.1, but a whole 105g lighter then the 2.25 Racing Ralph and 220g lighter than the 2.35 rock razor!

Marketed as the fastest rolling schwalbe tyre, but with the corner grip of the Ralph that I'm familiar with. Should be a great summer XC tyre with a slightly wider footprint mounted to a wider flow rim !

tasty.dirt74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Atherton/Smithfield

1/1/14, Atherton MTB trails. 21klm. 630mtrs of climbing.

2/1/14, Smithfield WC XC and AM trails. 9.1klm. 326 mtrs climbing.

105.jpg

Last edited:

mitchy_

Llama calmer
The racing ralph rear has finally kicked the bucket, so I began looking into a new rear tyre....

Really wanted to try a new combo of nobby nics with the Hans upfront, but wiggle were out of stock, CRC was more expensive, and torpedo 7 didnt even stock them

did some reading and was convinced the Rock Razor would be the go...but couldn't find a single store which stocked them....yet :(

So I ended up settling for the new 2014 Schwalbe Thunder Burd, snakeskin pacestar (26 x 2.10 - 445g).
Only comes in 2.1, but a whole 105g lighter then the 2.25 Racing Ralph and 220g lighter than the 2.35 rock razor!

Marketed as the fastest rolling schwalbe tyre, but with the corner grip of the Ralph that I'm familiar with. Should be a great summer XC tyre with a slightly wider footprint mounted to a wider flow rim !
2.1 ikon, aspen and crossmark aren't much heavier but actually have tread on them.
How much do schwalbe fist you for a bald tyre?

ChopSticks

Banned
2.1 ikon, aspen and crossmark aren't much heavier but actually have tread on them.
How much do schwalbe fist you for a bald tyre?
Schwalbe whore..... (run a Hans Dampf on the front) so other brands are out of the question

got arse raped $78...but that was from a local dealer..... only way I could guarantee it arriving before this weekend's Stromlo trip!!!

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
Schwalbe whore..... (run a Hans Dampf on the front) so other brands are out of the question

got arse raped $78...but that was from a local dealer..... only way I could guarantee it arriving before this weekend's Stromlo trip!!!
I would have used the opportunity to try something different!

mitchy_

Llama calmer

ouch! $78 would almost have got you a 2.1 crossmark and a 2.35 high roller! great fast rolling combo.

g3rg

Likes Bikes
First MTB ride for the year, first over the bars for the year (and the first accident on my Solo...), plus the first time I've hit my face in an accident!

Great year so far!

geoff_tewierik

Likes Dirt

Cost comes down to how much protection and what compound the tire is made of.

I could have got an Ikon yesterday for sub $50, but instead paid ~$70 for one with Triple Compound Rubber and Sidewall protection.

Last edited:

poita

Likes Dirt
Pulled it out of the box after flying with it across the country to WA... cannot wait to ride some pea gravel!

ChopSticks

Banned
Cost comes down to how much protection and what compound the tire is made of.

I could have got an Ikon yesterday for sub $50, but instead paid ~$70 for one with Triple Compound Rubber and Sidewall protection.
Exactly!
the basic Schwalbe Performance range with uniform compounds is rubbish! Goes for $30-40

Ive also tried a Pacestar Evo without snakeskin and the paper thin sidewalks were an absolute joke

However pacestar/ trailstar compounds with snakeskin is where it's at !!! For tubeless !

Will be trekking it to stromlo tomorrow to test out the thunder Burt.... Should be absolutely perfect for manicured trails of stromlo!

i did however buy teK's brand new snakeskin racing Ralph incase the Burt fails on me :D

Stuck a Raceface NW 30t ring on the Commencal meta am
That Meta is looking look Ramiro !!! Ride again soon!!

spurr

Likes Bikes
*Sniff*... goodbye 2.2 Purgatory S-Works, hello this:-

View attachment 277566

The push for larger diameter wheels is obviously so tyre manufacturers can fit in a bunch of extra graphics and acronyms, I reckon this would just about overlap on a 26" tyre.

Assume I'm not the only person OCD enough to snip the extrusion diddys off new tyres? I can leave them on the tread since those wear off pretty quick, but gotta snip the sidewalls clean.
Same, same. Also running an Ardent Race on the rear now after managed to do this to the Crossmark...

image.jpg

Always been hard on rear tires, but this was a new record lasting less than 500kms and two months. Did grow a nice Stans booger in that short time though...

image.jpg

geoff_tewierik

Likes Dirt
Rode with the new Ikon on today, did alright withe sandy conditions of Daisy Hill.

Then headed to FTR to get them to help me remove the rear cogs from the SS as I didn't have the right tools. The Polar Bear sorted me out quick smart and I now have the 17 tooth cog I picked up the other day installed. Will be interesting to see how a 32:17 setup affects my commute.