What did you do TO / WITH / FOR your bike today!

deadlegs

Likes Dirt
Ouch dude! I've done both and they are a painful and uncomfortable injury. Good luck with the recovery.

I've a set of not fancy shimano pedals laying around...I think you're familiar with them.
I've bought a set in the past. Do you have a never ending pedal supply?

slider_phil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Moved the parts from my Cotic Soul frame over to my Cotic Solaris frame, with the wheels from my Riot. Still need to cut the steerer, install the star nut, lengthen the chain, swap the tyres out and rebuild the Guides due to the dreaded sticky lever issue thats starting to plague them. Riot is being replaced with a new frame next week and its going up for sale, along with my Soul.

https://flic.kr/p/TcBR3W

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Moved the parts from my Cotic Soul frame over to my Cotic Solaris frame, with the wheels from my Riot. Still need to cut the steerer, install the star nut, lengthen the chain, swap the tyres out and rebuild the Guides due to the dreaded sticky lever issue thats starting to plague them. Riot is being replaced with a new frame next week and its going up for sale, along with my Soul.

https://flic.kr/p/TcBR3W
That's a great looking bike fella. What's making you sell the Riot? I thought you'd have kept that until you were headed into a box? Moving to the Solaris is certainly going to liven up your riding life. I must admit I envy the simplicity of an aggro hardtail. I've a race one which I love but it's not the same.

slider_phil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
That's a great looking bike fella. What's making you sell the Riot? I thought you'd have kept that until you were headed into a box? Moving to the Solaris is certainly going to liven up your riding life. I must admit I envy the simplicity of an aggro hardtail. I've a race one which I love but it's not the same.
An Intense Primer came up for a good price so I jumped on it. Otherwise I'd have stuck with the Riot another 12 months and seen what the Canfield Brothers came up with in a carbon version. Solaris will take over the Soul as the loaner/winter muddy riding bike.

Sent from my D6653 using Tapatalk

stirk

Burner
Put on a new set of colourful pedals to match the bike, saved some weight in the process. Took her a spin down some sweet local single track.

bike.jpg

stirk

Burner
What size front tire is that?
If that's a question for me it's​ a 2.3 maxxis aggressor.
I'll be putting it on the back soon and throw on the HR2 in 2.4 on the front. The HR2 is just better in sandy conditions on the front. Where the aggressor bites into the sand and is hard to control the HR2 seems to glide over the top.

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Went with some mates to ride Redhill, had a blast. Hit Pins and Needles and decided to throw myself OTB and into a tree. Thankfully I was padded up and just have a little soreness in the neck.
The funniest / saddest part was landing on my rear having done a part somersault only to find my (carbon) saddle land next to me like a pet dog. It was not attached to the bike and in my head went the words..."that was my favourite saddle...!"

Koper25

Likes Dirt
If that's a question for me it's​ a 2.3 maxxis aggressor.
I'll be putting it on the back soon and throw on the HR2 in 2.4 on the front. The HR2 is just better in sandy conditions on the front. Where the aggressor bites into the sand and is hard to control the HR2 seems to glide over the top.
Yeah it was. Looks really big, must just be the angle of the pic.

golden path

Banned
Pulled my Stumpy rear end to bits and packed fresh grease in the bearings. Has an occasional intermittent creak that won't piss off.

LBS has gone over it, but it came back a bit yesterday.

Did that then took it for a short ride in the bush and creak seems to be gone again.

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again
Went with some mates to ride Redhill, had a blast. Hit Pins and Needles and decided to throw myself OTB and into a tree. Thankfully I was padded up and just have a little soreness in the neck.
The funniest / saddest part was landing on my rear having done a part somersault only to find my (carbon) saddle land next to me like a pet dog. It was not attached to the bike and in my head went the words..."that was my favourite saddle...!"
I hit that for the first time recently. Short but nice little trail. Also really liked the fall line trail. Did you hit that?

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I hit that for the first time recently. Short but nice little trail. Also really liked the fall line trail. Did you hit that?
Hit that and Deadwould a couple of times. Fall Line is one of my favourites there.
The whole place is a different type of ride to my usual Lysterfield run.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Pulled my Stumpy rear end to bits and packed fresh grease in the bearings. Has an occasional intermittent creak that won't piss off.

LBS has gone over it, but it came back a bit yesterday.

Did that then took it for a short ride in the bush and creak seems to be gone again.

It must be crack somewhere! Have you inspected the usual crack spots?

Otherwise list every pivot, Junction, contact point...bolt, nuts, pin, clamp...and work through it. Clean it then grease/carbon paste/loctite where appropriate until you've nailed it.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Mmmmmm....sweet sweet trail. I took my bike out to the quarry of death again. So much fun, but I pussies out on the 2 big jumps there. I'm pretty disappointed with myself! They're pretty big, but I've smashed them out so many times before...soft.

Treated myself to a gourmet feast after the ride at the always open food spectacular known as McDonald's. Not a good place to eat when you've been riding for 5 hours! I consumed a large amount of their healthy nutritious flavoursome food.

golden path

Banned
It must be crack somewhere! Have you inspected the usual crack spots?

Otherwise list every pivot, Junction, contact point...bolt, nuts, pin, clamp...and work through it. Clean it then grease/carbon paste/loctite where appropriate until you've nailed it.
Yeah mate, I always head straight for the crack spots. ;)

TBH, I think it might have been a sticky bearing or something.

It began all of a sudden after I hit an average sized washout coming down a hill. CREAK CREAK CREAK. By the time I got home it had stopped. Anyway, I checked things over and couldn't find anything obvious.

Next ride out it started again.

Took it to the LBS who explained (as I already know all too well...) how hard creaks can be to track down. So it was given the once over and came home creak free. It started it again a little bit the other day - cracking the shits, I bunnyhopped the thing hard a few times and it stopped!

So this morning I pulled the back end off and cleaned everything, popped the seals and packed the bearings. Some had more grease than others. Interestingly, the derailleur hanger-frame junction was still as dry as a chip, I assumed the shop would have lubed this being one of those creaky spots. So I lubed that too.

No creaks at this stage though I only took it for a 12km test ride.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Did you crash the bike in that washout? What happened when the bike went down?

The easy ones are things like stem, headset, bottom bracket, and seat post. If they are all clear out comes the microscope. What are your shock bushings like? Or your nipples and spoke tensions? Do you have a pressfit bottom bracket?

I've a pretty good track record for tracking down creaks...but you need to be meticulous. Start at the front and work to the rear. Open everything and stuff it full of the relevant goo. I've had them hiding under lock on grips and seat collars, in the pedal stubs, and loose chain ring bolts recently.

So wrecked from riding...in going to a ride and get some crack! Going to blast through tonight into the future!!!

golden path

Banned
No crash - wash going down a hill and hit a washout / pothole arrangement and it just started.

It seemed definitely to be in the rear suspension somewhere - I could get it to make the noise by pushing on the seat and compressing the suspension. It's not the seat or post, that's all been cleaned and lubed.

Pressfit BB doesn't seem to be the issue.

TBH coming off a true single pivot bike, I was leery of a bike with multiple pivots and bearings - maybe I was right...

I'll see how it goes on the next ride.