What did you do TO / WITH / FOR your bike today!

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
Picked up a DVO Topaz cheap off FB on a bit of a gamble during the week.
Guy said it was 210 X 55 trunnion that was fitted to a Giant Trance, as far as I knew the Trance only ran a 185MM!
The seller did say it had been modified and upgraded by NSD to now run an air can from a T2 Topaz, but never really liked how it felt and decided to sell..looks like it was converted from a standard mount 210 to suit a 185 trunnion (shorter end cap with longer main shaft)
Anyhoo, fitted up last night and it is infact a 185mm x 52 which slotted in perfectly, but upon setting the air pressure in both the air sleeve and the bladder, I realised that there was not a single PSSSi in the bladder!..no wonder it would have felt like shite
Have set up and moved a few volume spacers around, will test ride over the W/E.
due to being sick and very lethargic over the last week, only managed today to finally get out to test the DVO.
Can confirm that it is ace, much improvement over the fox that came standard on the Trance.

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland
due to being sick and very lethargic over the last week, only managed today to finally get out to test the DVO.
Can confirm that it is ace, much improvement over the fox that came standard on the Trance.
I've had a similar experience with the suntour triair. Huge improvement over the RS Deluxe that came on my bike.

kten

understands stuff moorey doesn't
Changed fork again…..was convinced the 38 CSU was creaking and cracking so put a Mezzer back in. Quiet for a ride and then noises started again……perhaps not the fork.

Cleaned it all again to test today with the 38 back on. I’m now thinking it’s the bottom headset bearing cup that sits in the frame to allow for head angle adjustment. It is a super sloppy fit from factory….

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
Changed fork again…..was convinced the 38 CSU was creaking and cracking so put a Mezzer back in. Quiet for a ride and then noises started again……perhaps not the fork.

Cleaned it all again to test today with the 38 back on. I’m now thinking it’s the bottom headset bearing cup that sits in the frame to allow for head angle adjustment. It is a super sloppy fit from factory….

That will do it...cake it in lithium grease, see if the noise stops

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Haven't ridden a bike in 5 days... thats a fair gap for me.

Though had 6 x 12's straight at work.

I took a head stagger on Friday when I realised that we actually might get to Tassie on Monday.

Decided I want to piss off the ISI 'pole' and make a new bracket to hold my shuttle rack. Its a pain to shift the ISI between caravan and onto the back of my car, swapping towbar for ISI hitch and the distance the ISI sits out when not being used... the shuttle rack sits in nice and tight.

Only issue being I was 1 nightshift down and 2 to go.

2 trips to the steel shop and 1 trip to Bunnings, reckon it took about 9-10 hours all up.

Finished it today with a lick of rattle can matte black and bolted it down.

Not 100% happy with it but I probably only have $100 into it so it may get a refresh down the track. Used M18 stud bar and had no spring washers so had to double up on nuts, would have preferred to use M18 bolts but the correct gaps to pull the bottom plate up would have taken too long... fekking 35°C here too.

Measurements were crucial as it needed to clear the gas bottles, sit as close to the van without touching it and clear the rear of my vehicle.

With 29's in slot 2-3-4 there is no possibility of touching the bikes at all, in slots 1 and 5 if I was to reverse I could touch the rear wheel about 100mm before I hit the drawbar in a jack-knife so it works quite well, no chance of hitting a bike while driving forward even in full lock.

Last edited:

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
Haven't ridden a bike in 5 days... thats a fair gap for me.

Though had 6 x 12's straight at work.

I took a head stagger on Friday when I realised that we actually might get to Tassie on Monday.

Decided I want to piss off the ISI 'pole' and make a new bracket to hold my shuttle rack. Its a pain to shift the ISI between caravan and onto the back of my car, swapping towbar for ISI hitch amd the distance the ISI sits out when not being used... the shuttle rack sits in nice and tight.

Only issue being I was 1 nightshift down and 2 to go.

2 trips to the steel shop and 1 trip to Bunnings, reckon it took about 9-10 hours all up.

Finished it today with a lick of rattle can matte black and bolted it down.

Not 100% happy with it but I probably only have $100 into it so it may get a refresh down the track. Used M18 stud bar and had no spring washers so had to double up on nuts, would have preferred to use M18 bolts but the correct gaps to pull the bottom plate up would have taken too long... fekking 35°C here too.

Measurements were crucial as it needed to clear the gas bottles, sit as close to the van without touching it and clear the rear of my vehicle.

With 29's in slot 2-3-4 there is no possibility of touching a bike while towing, in slots 1 and 5 if I was to reverse I would touch the rear wheel about 100m before I hit the drawbar in a jack-knife so it works quite well, no change of hitting a bike while driving forward even in full lock.

View attachment 383910

View attachment 383911
I'd like to do that on the front of our cage trailer, but I don't have any where near the clearance

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
I'd like to do that on the front of our cage trailer, but I don't have any where near the clearance
Its the back wheel on the car that is the big problem with the outside bikes.

Obviously that is on flat road too, no 4WDing where the departure angle will put the bike into the car.

crash3

Likes Dirt
Yesterday - Took miss 2 & the hardtail/macride down to the local bike path to cruise along the beach with my youngest prother, got about 1.5 k's in and we were sidetracked by a playground. Half an hour there, then back to the carpark for a coffee & Gelato at one of the coffee vans.

She was asleep when we got home, so I got my hollowtech tension nut removal tool printing. Also replaced the rear derailleur on the hardtail, I thought the jockey wheel bearings were gone as there was some lateral movement, but the new one was like that too. Perhaps that's just what's to be expected from an Acera?

Print started terribly, but came out in a usable condition and does the job:

Took a while to get to miss 2 sleep and wanted to go to bed early to get up and watch the F1 live, so didn't move the bb spacer. But was too knackered from the F1 to get up early for a ride this morning anyway.

Last edited:

kten

That will do it...cake it in lithium grease, see if the noise stops
That did work but the noises are returning after only one ride. Seems to squeeze the grease out pretty quickly....might get some thicker grease and try again. Having onyx hubs makes any little noise seem loud, one disadvantage of these hubs.

ausdb

Being who he is
That did work but the noises are returning after only one ride. Seems to squeeze the grease out pretty quickly....might get some thicker grease and try again. Having onyx hubs makes any little noise seem loud, one disadvantage of these hubs.
Not sure how it all goes together so this may be useless advice but if you're not planning on changing head angles at all or often, then maybe use some bearing retaining compound to try to take up the slack?

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Not convinced the You Yangs is my thing…. Riding alone with no full face or pads it’s a bit meh… Also it was hot and humid and I was a bit hungover….
Which part of the park did you ride? (Or trails if you remember the names/numbers?)

But yeah, it can be a punishing ride when it's hot and humid.

kten

Not sure how it all goes together so this may be useless advice but if you're not planning on changing head angles at all or often, then maybe use some bearing retaining compound to try to take up the slack?
Yeah fair call as I think I've settled on the neutral setting after riding the other two options. The cup literally rattles around with no grease on it so I'm not sure if retaining compound could fill the void. I'm going to have a chat with Specialized to see what they say before getting too creative lol.

beeb

Yeah fair call as I think I've settled on the neutral setting after riding the other two options. The cup literally rattles around with no grease on it so I'm not sure if retaining compound could fill the void. I'm going to have a chat with Specialized to see what they say before getting too creative lol.
Sounds well fucked if it's that loose. Though I'm sure "it only just started happening" last ride. ;)

moorey

call me Mia
Not convinced the You Yangs is my thing…. Riding alone with no full face or pads it’s a bit meh… Also it was hot and humid and I was a bit hungover….
Bah. I’ll never wear pads or four face there unless I am racing. Oh I know I will never crash there. Now… one more run…

beeb

[QUOTE ="moorey, post: 3465073, member: 1619"]
Now… one more run…
[/QUOTE]
Just in time to sneak one more in before Nationals.