What did you do TO / WITH / FOR your bike today!

hellmansam

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Not my bike but l worked on a Merida e160 with Di2 yesty, with the new young part timer we figured out how to reset derailleur protection fault (triggered by a stick) A walk-in job on a busy day, but very good customer so we made time to sort him out. One of the most spritely over 70's blokes I've met, loves the e160 and uses it like it should be used. Been looking at e160 specs and reviews this morning ;)

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Got my special graphene wax and fitted my new drivetrain last night. Wax was more difficult and messy than the video, and not sure I got the 11sp chain hot enough, it left a few more chunky bits of wax than the 8sp I also did which seemed to run off better. I also think I tried to wipe the excess off too early and it wasn't quite set properly.

Did 24km on it this morning, it started out very silent but I was bringing up the rear with a sore back so got pretty dusted up, and it was noisy on the pedal home. Also got a little chain suck now and then, just enough to hear it flick. Hosed it off which left it looking very clean, and let it dry, will check it all out later when it cools off here and make sure there aren't any chunks causing the chain suck.

I'll give it a few more rides and put a proper review up.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
............and not sure I got the 11sp chain hot enough...........
......it was noisy on the pedal home........
I think that's the mistake everyone makes the first time. I did a batch today and I let them sit in the hot wax for an hour.

They're also noisier, but sooooo much cleaner. When you hear the bird chirp squeaks, then it's time to re-wax.

Last edited:

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
I was the only bloke at the race without a beer in hand :oops:
on that matter, i’m sure up on the 4cross track a kid who raced u13, and looked about 8 asked his dad for a drink of his boutique beer, dad said sure, kid then said -so i can finish it then, father stated go ahead

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
, and not sure I got the 11sp chain hot enough, it left a few more chunky bits of wax than the 8sp I also did which seemed to run off better. I also think I tried to wipe the excess off too early and it wasn't quite set properly.
if you hang it quickly while hot most excess just drips off -just b bloody careful not to touch it, get it near plastic etc etc, even if not it falls off during first couple of rides anyway

Litenbror

Eats Squid
Hot one here in Canberra quick 20km at Majura. Went through the 2 water bottles by 12km. Also threw gears on it the other day, it's nice to make life easy sometimes.

View attachment 371626View attachment 371627
No need to be sad @Daniel Hale it's going back SS after a particularly climb heavy ride on Thursday night (25km with 1000m vert). I'm going to need all the help I can get to make it to the campsite.

nathanm

Eats Squid
Bought a new old one, or a old new one bike.

Anyway its a 2007 Avanti Aggressor which was a pretty decent xc bike for its day.

It's been barely ridden and still has plenty of tread on the original tyres.

Bought it pretty much just to on-sell the Fox F100Rl forks which are in excellent condition considering the age.

It's funny when you look at the geo of these old bikes. 71 degree head angles, 3x9 etc, it makes you wonder how we rode them.