West Wallsend Freeride track

bj4x4

Likes Dirt
Thought i would share a few pics of a ladder drop me and a mate built today. :D

putting in last post

putting up supports and bracing the posts

Finished the top half. Just needs the ramp up and were done. Its About 7 feet high

Still gotta build some jumps and a few other North shore style things.

Last edited:

bj4x4

Likes Dirt
well i finally was able to get up there again this Sunday. Only got the up ramp of a jump built:eek:

Hopefully we'll have the ladder drop finished in the next couple of weeks. And should i build a wooden or dirt down ramp for the drop?

Trevor_S

Likes Dirt
Thought i would share a few pics of a ladder drop me and a mate built today. :D
Nice job, just a small criticism, you really should debark the logs. Has to be done straight away and then leave the logs to cure for 3 - 4 weeks before using them. Leaving the bark on, they will rot quickly.

Kinyrider

Likes Bikes
Sugarloaf...

Hey bro, ive just found some tracks up there and would love to ride yours. if you want some help building in return for riding privaleges just pm me ..... looks cool..

bj4x4

Likes Dirt
well me and a couple of mates were able to get up there again on Sunday, This is what we got done

It still needs abit more braceing to stop it from wobling from side to side and some of the planks need screwing down. I was going to go up there again this afternoon and build the down ramp but the dam rain started again. :(
Next to be built is the down ramp for the jump, a small step down and another big wooden structure with a see-saw.
thanks for the comments. PM me if ya wanna know were it is.

Last edited:

bj4x4

Likes Dirt
i was able to get up there again this afternoon for a couple of hours and this is what i got done untill i ran out of screws.

got two pieces of wood down to see if i'll need a another log in the middle. And removed the bark off the logs (thanks for the top tip Trevor_S:D)

the veiw from the top of the drop

Shorty222

Cannon Fodder
lookin good cocksy cant wait to get up there and start building again, if only this stupid rain would go away.

sedifus

Likes Dirt
bit of a skinny landing for my liking, just my opinion
Same, and I'm not sure the pallet would be good for supports, then again i can only see it on my computer. Also it looks a little mis-aligned. But i love your work on the up-ramp & flat bit of the drop

bj4x4

Likes Dirt
prob abit skinny but if it was any wider it would be in the trees. As for the pallet, i saw the same sorta idea being used for a drop and it seem pretty sturdy but i guess we'll see when i hit it up :p. Its not fixed to anything so it can be easily moved.

bj4x4

Likes Dirt
I was able to get up there again this afternoon for a couple of hours and this is what i got done:

put the third log in for extra strenght :cool:

finished putting the wood on top. It looks abit dodgy but its pretty strong

just gotta put abit of braceing on the down ramp and fix the up ramp up alittle and it'll be ready to hit. :)

Last edited:

bj4x4

Likes Dirt
had a pretty good building session today. We were able to get the down ramp built for the double and we finished the first section of the track.

We tried a different method for building the down ramp, which seemed to work alright, and saved use from useing alot of dirt.

finished puting the dirt on, I think there were about 6 full wheel barrows of dirt on there.

My mate thinking of doing the drop. :eek:

Hopefully there should be some action pics soon :cool:

sammydog

NSWMTB, Hunter MTB Association
The sticks in that ramp will rot and you will wish in the medium to ling term that you used dirt instead (or rock in place of the dirt).

I know its private property, but cutting down or using live trees is pretty poor form.

FINX74

Likes Dirt
Ouch.........

Dude,
I know this sounds harsh but that double has got DEATH written all over it....... Sammydog is right that timber underneath only 6 barrows of dirt will rot but you won't know until you are landing on it. If you use rock and dirt not only is it safer but you won't spend as much time maintaining it. Same goes for the kicker on the double and if your going to use star pickets sink them further, so there is no impailing factor..... And if you haven't thought of it yet that lander for the ladder drop needs a brace laterally, along the bottom ( to form a triangle ) otherwise it will fold flat like a pack of cards. The ladder drop itself looks great.
Not to diss you buddy but if you are going to put in the hard yards and build the big stuff do a little bit more research on here or in the IMBA books and create something worth slogging your guts out for - that once you've done it right you can ride it for good with just a little maintenance.
Something I have learnt tracks will always need something done to them no matter where they are our how they've been built.... the better the build the less you have to do in the long term. Good luck with it .

james1

Likes Dirt
what is wrong with cutting down tree's for use on tracks? I know its bad for the environment but it would be the same thing as buying from the hardware but just without the price?? sorry if im missing somthing.