Welding / Soldering Spokes

harmonix1234

Eats Squid
Anyone done it themselves?
Anyone had it done by a mech?

I have a spare pair of wheels I am thinking about trying this with / possibly ruining.

I see some of the guys in the pro tour circuit have their mech-guys solder their spokes together for durability.
Is this just because they are using wheels that weigh as much as my morning dump, and need the added strength, or could it apply to MTB wheels as a wheel strengthener as well?

Or is it just one of those old school mech things that is more witchcraft and voodoo than truly beneficial?

dkselw

Likes Bikes
It was common to tie the spokes on track bikes back in the early 80's. I tied the spokes on my wheels by wrapping about 4 turns of copper wire (probably about 0.75mm dia) and soldering. The solder would flow and join the copper wire together, but did not stick to the stainless spokes.
It was supposed to make the wheels stiffer. Thinking back on it now, I would be very surprised if it actually made any difference. Perhaps if I had used flux that allowed the solder to stick to the spokes, it might have made more of a difference, but considering I never noticed any rub marks around the tied junction, I would guess that there was not any significant movement anyway.

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
I had a set of DH wheels in the late 90's soldered.

Not sure if it was a placebo effect, but they certainly felt more rigid for it.

It makes me wonder if it actually makes a wheel stronger? Wouldn't a little bit of movement where the spokes cross add more compliance to the wheel, adding in absorbing energy from impacts? Nether the less, I destroyed the rims well before the wheel ever needed truing. So maybe there was something to it.

SummitFever

Eats Squid
Current thinking is that its a waste of time. No positive benefits other than holding a broken spoke captive. Makes rebuilding the wheel or replacing a spoke a PITA.