Water Jumping

enjoi

Likes Bikes
I was just wondering if, when doing a jump into water, you have to put any type of flotation device on your bike, or if the tires provide enough bouyancy to keep it surfaced.

Also, has anyone had a problem where when impact on the water they collide with the bike and cause injury. Do you have to throw the bike away before you hit the water, or just do it and not worry about hitting the bike??

Thanks

Venciferus

Likes Dirt
It's like a 50/50 chance of geting hurt from landing on the bike. From not throwing the bike away I have seen feet facing backwards.

Last edited:

gorno

Likes Dirt
when me and my mate were doing it he had a bottle that had rope connecting to the bike so that we good find the rope easy a pull the bike up (just like a bouy). i agree its kinda 50/50 but if your feet are firm on the pedals you can just stay on the bike, or just throw it way if it seems safer.

Have fun, Dylan

tonka_202

Likes Dirt
stay on the bike, it makes it easier because you you dont have to worry about the bike landing on you or you landing on it, just dont get pulled down under water if it is a heavy bike, so fun but next time ramp should be bigger.

JDDVL.

Banned
Unless your using a pool,
i recommend using some sort of flotaion device otherwise it will sink.

Also i would wear some sort of shoes becuae there is still impact on the feet when you land.
But if you do happen to screw up mid air and land on the bike it hurts like a b!^*h.

-nat

dazz

Downhill Dazz
Our water jump

Check out this thread of our jump that my mate & bro hit up last weekend:
http://forums.farkin.net/showthread.php?t=48995

The bike is just a crappy el-cheapo a mate had lying around.
What I've done to it:
Grease nipples in the BB shell & the front hub.
Removed the brakes & all the gearing. Converted the rear drop outs to horizontal & made tensioning bolts. Shorteded the chain to suit. Whacked a set of pro-taper bars & lock-on grips on it to improve how it rides.
Put some old DH tires on it to make the ride smoother & more floatation.
Taped a 5L plastic bottle into the frame (deosn't seem to get in the way)
Stuffed a tube in the spokes of each wheel & inflated them for extra flotation.

You can see in the video that the bike floats really well, & nobody has really hurt themselves.... yet.

villy

Likes Dirt
You would want to put something on the bike to help it float. I did it and the bikes feel alot heavier in the water.

DYJK

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Its also fun to just ride a pool with the water in it! Its like a gravity free environment with lots of drag!

Cletus

Likes Dirt
i can see what your saying about getting the bike to float so you can retreive it easily out of the water but i've found that attaching a coiled boady board leg rope/ wrist rope around your stem and wrist you have no chance of tangles and you can just swim out and pull your bike with you.
i kinda like the bike to sink when i land in the water insted of it hitting the water and and not going under.
this is what ive found works for me.
and p.s face slap is a killer:eek: ;)

Mahoney_007

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah some kinda floatation device is good, its no fun sifting through the bottom of a river bed trying to find your bike. :mad: Inner tubes in the spokes or coke bottles ect work a treat.

I say go for the Land on the pedals technique. Any schmuck can huck off a jetty and throw the bike, real men go down with it :D Just watch your nuts on the TT.

Oh yeah a bloody good tip (especially if you are doing it into salt water) strip your bike down IMMEDIATLEY after you are done, other wise it ends up seized in every spot imaginable.

sims_65

Likes Dirt
i watched a show on channel v called the dudesons and this guy takes a fast 50 or something similar off a jump into a lake, he jumped like 25m and was all good but he landed on the bike and broke his leg. It was a fast 50 but probably is still possible to break your leg by landing on a push bike so i think it would be best to bail and not stay on the bike when hitting the water. Just a milk bottle or something similar tied to the handle bars or in the frame would work but u might want to check it first or something...

Last edited:

TIMOH

Banned
If he is going to stay on it, he wouldn't want it floating too good would he? Just image landing with it not wanting to go down :eek:.

shore_2

Likes Dirt
Does anyone know of any appropriate locations to go water jumping. I am struggling to find any good locations in southern Sydney.

rabatt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i'v done some lake jumping,
try to do the jump as if you had a landing only try to land further back(like jumping to flat),faceplants hurt neally as bad into water as on land.

if your going to crash make sure you throw the bike as far as possible,preferably to the side, and dont land bellyflop style, curl up or try to dive, if you belly flop you get the biggest headache ever, not to mention been blind for a few hours after from the water getting pushed into your eyes.

use an old cheep bike or pull your bike to bits and clean/dry and oil every thing(even forks if there cheeper models like rst's or rockshok judys).

have fun and take some pics.

Atomikryder

Likes Dirt
all u need is shoes the up ramp and if u have a bodyboard use the leash off that and land on the bike less chance of getting hurt

Spooky

Likes Bikes and Dirt
My mate's dam jumping bike we use is pretty ghetto. It's a Kmart garden variety bike, singlespeeded, back brake only(without pads mind you), 12" kids bike hangers and it's 24". We just chuck a bit of foam on teh bars to save our chests or teeth if we land unco, which had happened before. As for floatation devices, we just look for bubbles :eek:

HYOSHIMO

Straight up emo gangsta
the lake jump we hit you got too much height to want to land on the bike - and as for flotation- you gotta chuck crap on it to make it float other wise its a pain in the ass, as for the stopping when you hit the water there will always be a degree of surface tension so the bike will hit and slow but unless youve managed to hide the bike in a jumping castle worht of floaties it wont stop- the actual learning of tricks will lead to some pain even lake jumping, youll get some back slap and some face slap no matter what your doing

sawtell

The Great White Rooks Hunter
Yeah, just use old tubes in the the spokes, and a tube around the handle bars, thatw what i did, cause i found when i landed on the bike, i always smashed my self on the bars!

Its good fun, and a weird sensation landing on the bike into water..

most pain you will get, well i have got is going for tricks and landing side of face first on water, i could of cried!!

but fuck its good fun.
i might go tommorw arvo!! if its going to be 36 degrees, i have a peir at the end of my street! ;)

My best hint is to wear some sort of hard soled foot protection, and a wet suit, well at least a rashie, casue it does hurt. think a 6 foot pier, then jumping 4 foot into air, landing on none broken water..... :eek:

fleshbone

Likes Bikes and Dirt
well my mates and i just tie a rope to some part of the bike and hope it doesnt get in the way,but most times we like to get away from it before hitting the water.

t

Likes Bikes and Dirt
sawtell is on the money - old shoes, wetty, tubes inside the spokes is the go for floatation.
also cover up all the sharp edges on the bike like the ends of the axels. (pic.2)

go big! it's only water :D

Attachments

Last edited: