Warrandyte local xc trails?

orsk

Squid
Hi,
I live in Warrandyte and have been riding mainly XC for awhile now, I usually either ride around Lysterfield or go over to the You Yangs with a friend that lives out that way. I keep hearing how there is heaps of riding around warrandyte and even in the templestowe area, but after searching high and low on this site, going to the local info center, and riding around myself, I havent found anything...
Just wondering if anyone can help me out and tell me if there is any decent XC riding out here and where should i be looking? Im not interested in riding on bitchumen, Im a dirt man all the way, so things like the mullum mullum and yarra trails dont really interest me.
Please too, no illegal trails! I know that there are some trails that have been illegally cut into the state parks, I dont really want to get fined nor wreck our natural beauty that needs to be preserved.

Thanks guys.

Last edited:

Beej1

I've ridden out there once with Hud from these forums who was guide. Most of the trails we hit were singletrack next to roads, and really fast and flowing in places. We did venture into state park once or twice (not Fourth Hill ... some other spot) but no illegal trails. You'll have to ask Hud for the details though. It may not be remote singletrack, but it sure was enjoyable.

And if you're riding the Yarra Trail, you want to be on the singletrack that runs alongside it as opposed to the trail itself - impossible to miss from Westerfolds all the way down to Chandler Highway, at which point it becomes foot traffic only ... apparently ... dunno, I keep missing the signs (that will be my excuse).

orsk

Squid
Sweet thanks for the advice, ill give westerfolds a try, i suppose there is pleanty of horse trails along the side of the roads that would be ok to ride

Also does anyone know of any around park orchards or wonga park? i keep hearing things about 100 acres park in park orchards, anyone know anything or been there?

thanks again for the advice

Allmountain

Likes Dirt
I'v been to the 100 acres park one and there is a few different types trails but nothing thats really to long but like I said I have only been there once. I live on the border of croydon hills and wonga park and i'v heard that there is quite a few around but I havent been into cross country that long so I havent ridden them and dont know exactly were they are. There is a decent trails that are alongside hollaway road in wonga park but have some killer hills.
Hope this helps

Hud

Likes Dirt
G'day Orsk. The ride Nuclear_Powered and I did that time started at Wonga Park near the bottle shop at the roundabout (Homestead and Brysons rd.) Don't park opposite the shop or old mate will come out and give you what-for.
Head down ST along edge of Brysons (towards Warranwood) trail peters out then restarts on the RH side after the creek, nice techy ST climb. Turn right into Reids lane ST RH side. Ride on footpath beside Wonga rd - which becomes Croydon rd. Fast trail beside croydon rd. Cross Ringwood/Warrandyte rd at the shell servo and head down to Warrandyte on the ST on the left hand side of R/W road. Turn right onto Jumping Ck. rd. keep your eye out for the entrance into Warrandyte State on the right about 400m up J. ck. rd. Easy to miss. I believe these trails are legal to ride, no signs contrary, though I've seen sticks placed across trail by [irate locals?] Horses are alowed in there.
A maze of trails in here including some nice ST. You'll have to explore. Pretty steep in places but I normally do a figure 8 type loop in there. When you've finished in here go out the gate about halfway along Haslams track, there is a track along the edge of Haslams trk - Johansans rd which will give you a screamer back to R/W road. Continue into W/dyte, follow shared path on rivers edge. make your way to Harris gully rd at the other end of W/dyte. Head up gold memorial drive. There are about 5 sections of singletrack along the right hand side, some easy to miss. climb the gravel road pinch at the end (becomes Hussys lane). You're back at the shell servo, retrace way back to Wonga park.
Thats it. Obviously your start point will be different.
Let me know what you think.
100 acres is okay if you live nearby, not a great deal there.

Cheers
Hud

orsk

Squid
Hey Hud,
Thanks alot that sounds great. My GF used to live on brysons rd so i know the area pretty well. Ill give it a go this w/e and see how it goes. I didnt realise there was a park down there in jumping creek road, thought there was only the jumping creek reserve abit further down. but that sounds great. Thanks for the advice, Ill let you know how it goes :)

Hud

Likes Dirt
The gate is well off the road, you have to turn into a driveway, then turn right off it straight away onto a wide track/dirt patch and head up to the gate.

SteveG

Likes Bikes
I live in warrandyte and generally go up on forth hill and surrounding areas, its mainly fire trail (the single track is supposed to be walking trail only in most areas), even so you can string together a fairly long stretch through the various parks with a bit of road. I've gone from longridge park through to deep creek reserve with a few stretches of road. I can show you the routes some time if you want.

eric2151

Likes Dirt
Hi,
I live in Warrandyte and have been riding mainly XC for awhile now, I usually either ride around Lysterfield or go over to the You Yangs with a friend that lives out that way. I keep hearing how there is heaps of riding around warrandyte and even in the templestowe area, but after searching high and low on this site, going to the local info center, and riding around myself, I havent found anything...
Just wondering if anyone can help me out and tell me if there is any decent XC riding out here and where should i be looking? Im not interested in riding on bitchumen, Im a dirt man all the way, so things like the mullum mullum and yarra trails dont really interest me.
Please too, no illegal trails! I know that there are some trails that have been illegally cut into the state parks, I dont really want to get fined nor wreck our natural beauty that needs to be preserved.

If you dont want to post it on here for all to see, feel free to email me at john.tarabaras@gmail.com
Thanks guys.
Not all of mullum mullum is bitchumen..infact the parts closer to you arent..i believe their are tracks in research although im not sure of their exact location.

Norco_418

Cannon Fodder
I go riding down at westerfolds alot of the time which is quite near warrandyte. Found some fantastic singletrack around there, plenty of roots and loamy trails. Have also been down to the 100Acres and found it alright, yet i was told off by a not to happy ranger:mad:

Just underneath the greenery in Heidelberg there are some fantastic singetracks which can be quite long and fun. If you ride along hte gravel road many of them start right off it. If you continue going down the gravel road there are some fantastic trails underneath the Burke Road Bridge.

cameron_15

Eats Squid
i believe their are tracks in research although im not sure of their exact location.
Hmmmmm, i may have to investigate into this. i lived in warrandyte and now live in research but know not of any XC trails. i have some Downhill/freeride and dirt jump stuff in my backyard but on the weekend and over the coming weeks i'm looking at building an XC loop. i'm going down to plan it out tommorow. can't wait.

There is quite alot of single track stuff in westerfolds that is quite fun. you've just go to go exploring off the sides of the paths. theres heaps of trails and stuff around there.

Might have to head out to that wonga park to warrandyte trail to.:)

SteveG

Likes Bikes
A good one is to go up into the forth hill up the brackenbury track (off brackenbury street). Follow this up to a joining of paths, keep heading straight to Tunnel street, at the entrance to the park here follow wildcat gully util where it does a sharp turn to the right, take the track to the left which heads up the hill to Webb street, just before webb st vear right and follow this around till it eventually comes out on webb street.

Cross web street and ever park (almost directly over the road from where you come out) and follow boundary track down to merlins Road exit from park, head back up Merlins track and follow this to the harding street exit.

Follow Harding street to Warrandyte-ringwood road and turn left into this until Johansons Road. Turn R into Johansons Rd and follow dirt trail up LHS of street to National Park. You can exit at Jumping creek Road and follow this to Jumping Creek reserve where there are some long fire trails and dirt roads which lead into the park. Its OK to ride on these but not on walking trails (I checked with the rangers). Then back up jumping creek road to the state park again, follow the trail in the park to the left, it loops back around to Johansons Rd via some nice single track, Johansons Rd back to Warrandyte ringwood Road, Back to Harding road to the state park.

From Harding Road follow Pigtail track back to Webb St, back onto forth hill retracing steps back to Brackenbury (or explore other trails in area).

All the tracks can be found on Google maps.

I'd be interested in hearing of other peoples tracks in the area

Enjoy

Hud

Likes Dirt
Just got back from doing this ride. Fun little ride to do at night if you know where to go. Dry except for a few places but a little choppy at times from horses.
Took about 1.5 hrs.
Anyone else done it lately? Quite a few tyre tracks in places.

SteveG

Likes Bikes
Its one I do occasionly as I live in the area. There are also some tracks in the area off pound bend although not a great deal, and they won't take too long. I've also tried the pipeline reserve from park road to reynolds road (not sure if you are supposed to cycle it, no signs on it though), not great though.

If anyone is up for a ride around warrandyte I usually go on sunday mornings if I can drag myself out of bed, depend on whether its my turn to look after the kids or not.

cameron_15

Eats Squid
Well guys I've just recently gotten myself a Cross country bike and I'm 16 years old and live in research and would love to explore these trails.

Currently I'm doing ride from my house at the edge of north-warrandyte and research into westerfolds and onto the Yarra trail. I've been going up to the Rosana golf course and turning around there before making my way back.

I might have to explore some of these trails during the long school holidays I have ahead of me and if anyones up for a ride send me a PM and we can arrange a time, date and place. I usually ride every day if i'm not working.

I'll be riding a black and Orange raceline Expertc so if you see me out sometime dont be afraid to say g'day:)

Wednesday

Likes Dirt
I grew up in the 'dyte for 20 years or so and there really isnt much xc tech trails worth riding. The trails off the end off Webb st into Fourth Hill, Gold Memorial road (right hand side) are all very easy. Great for fitness but not much else. I used to ride out to Wonga Park and bash it out around a scout camp called clifford park i think (dont quote me on it though) and loop back into town along the yarra etc. Its pretty tame. Westys is probably the next closest to you follwed by Greensborough (blue lake and the gorge). There are some great fitness xc rides out in Christmas Hills and surrounds. Jump on VICMTB web site and hit archives and there are a few lung busting rides around the area. Pm me if you want more info. Go the 'bloods!

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
There is also some good riding out in Smiths gully if you are willing to drive out there.. Park at the Smiths Gully general store, can't miss it, always full of bikes. the best option is to ask a local or join in with some of the riders already there.

There is a good mixture of fire roads, singletrack and some decent climbing too.

Ayko

Squid
Theres some alright trails on the top of fourth hill and better ones in the state park opposite Warrandyte High School :)

The fourth hill ones are a bit hard to find, but if you know where the "Your on the top of fourth hill" sign is, theres a mound behind it. about 4 start there and a few jumps. The trails take you down to Whip stick Gully (or along that street)

The ones opposite WHS are harder to find (me and my friend found them by accident last week haha).
Theres a street opposite the school where the pool shop is. Instead of turning right to go towards the pool shop, you go straight down the first street. You will then come to the park. Follow the fire trails down the twisty bit (fun to slide :D) untill you reach the bottom. Go straight up the next hill untill you reach some small crappy looking jump. There will be a sign or marker (not sure which but you'll see it) which leads into some bush. In there, theres three trails you will find. The one on your right is pretty fun, but REALLY slippery when wet (me and my friend were sliding with both wheels locked up haha). the middle one i havent ridden and the left one has some cool jumps in it which lead you to the bottom of the twist hill :)

Im still finding new trails all the time and will keep you all updated :)

- James.

Perry®

Likes Bikes
Jump on VICMTB web site and hit archives and there are a few lung busting rides around the area. Pm me if you want more info.
Just wondering if anyone has a copy of all the track notes from the old Vic MTB site? There were some great trail notes there.... VicMTB is now under new management and a new name "Rideonbikes" and the track notes are gone.

gadget1

Likes Dirt
From Westerfold's, if you cross Fitzsimmons Lane and head upstream along the river from Westerfold's park about 400m, you'll see some singletrack heading off on your RHS. there's a good loop here of about 7 or 8km. There's always riders here after work. Referred to as "Pink Ribbon", or "Han's Loop".