Walk or ride a steep hill

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
That's an easy slog on tarmac!

Anderson's trail from Bedford Creek to Woodford is a badge of honour if you can pedal the whole way up. I need to walk but it's harder than riding but allows the catch up of breath.
I have done it a few times which means I can count them all on one hand. I dabbed last time on the apex of the 2nd switchback.

It is the ultimate long slog in the mountains. A granny gear feat but keeping traction on the sharp loose turns is the difficult part when your lungs are hanging out of your chest.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Steep: Where singlespeeders have spun out and those with dinnerplate cassettes, non weight weenie knobblys and their ass on the seat keep going.
Steep for me is where you have to push down hard on the handlebars just to keep the front wheel from wandering

sbm

Likes Bikes
According to Strava, on steep fire trails most of my PB's are walking.

I mean, walking's nice too. A few times I've even gone off into the bush without a bike and just walked around!

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
According to Strava, on steep fire trails most of my PB's are walking.
i had a girl on a horse steal one of my KOM’s..i quickly reported the activity as being in a vehicle & strava deleted her ride from the records, my avg speed was something like 5.9, did involve some walking, was close to 20% rutted 4wd trk though

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
Kinda harking back to the dinner plate thread my back is absolutely ruined. But I can ride all day with no issues.
As soon as I jump off that bike and push up the hill all sorts of aches and pains appear.
I feel this. Last time I rode, everything was fine for hours... As soon as I got off the bike and bent forward a little, everything in my back locked up.

That was a painful drive home... I could hardly bend enough to get into the car, let alone find a comfortable way to sit.

MARKL

Eats Squid
Anderson's trail from Bedford Creek to Woodford is a badge of honour if you can pedal the whole way up. I need to walk but it's harder than riding but allows the catch up of breath.

Steep for me is where you have to push down hard on the handlebars just to keep the front wheel from wandering
I struggle on the straights as you come to the waterbars and it steepens up the front wonders...more weight to the rear and then break traction, cleaned it on the fatbike though

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
I ride it as long as I can, until I'm totally stuffed and have to walk...

Real steep, real long, I'm walking... as I'm trying to keep heart attacks, etc at bay.

So I can ride another day.

Coopz

Likes Dirt
If my back wheel starts to slide off I get.. Never pushed a bike on a sealed road though, my only badge of merit.

Ackland

chats d'élevage
I feel this. Last time I rode, everything was fine for hours... As soon as I got off the bike and bent forward a little, everything in my back locked up.

That was a painful drive home... I could hardly bend enough to get into the car, let alone find a comfortable way to sit.
Hopefully this sets off some alarms and you've thrown in some other non cycling strengthening

Jpez

Down on the left!

Sounds like you’ve got something going in there that needs addressing.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Have to agree. You have to find any sources of pain whorl riding and fix or risk getting some ugly longer term injury.

Can take time to sort out and might be a combination of a stretched out riding position and seat angle or bar height etc.

Getting a cramp after a ride or big climb is a different thing though and mega pain.

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
Hopefully this sets off some alarms and you've thrown in some other non cycling strengthening
Have to agree. You have to find any sources of pain whorl riding and fix or risk getting some ugly longer term injury.

Can take time to sort out and might be a combination of a stretched out riding position and seat angle or bar height etc.

Getting a cramp after a ride or big climb is a different thing though and mega pain.
I obliterated my back doing farm work in Tasmania, to the point where I was forced to quit after their HR/'safety guy' couldn't suggest a safer method of completing the workload... Hasn't been the same since.

I know I need to do some strengthening work, it's just a matter of finding the time and motivation.

Though on the thread topic... Being a more shuttle focused/descending rider, I give up pretty easily when climbing gets tough. Had some pretty sweet cramping last time I was out on a pedal ride, too.

Jpez

Down on the left!
I obliterated my back doing farm work in Tasmania,

Though on the thread topic... Being a more shuttle focused/descending rider, I give up pretty easily when climbing gets tough. Had some pretty sweet cramping last time I was out on a pedal ride, too.
With you on that. I started building as a youngster with cowboys. The idea of safe working practices was for pussies. I can sneeze and put my neck out which takes weeks of yoga/stretching to sort out. I paid a dear price for my young ignorance.
Bulged discs, degenerative arthritis. Doc said DONT ride mountain bikes.
FUCK that! It’s the best thing for me. I don’t ride for a couple weeks and I’m a cripple again.

I’m also a descender and would give up pretty easily until I started riding regularly with a much fitter stronger and faster rider.
he pushed me to keep pushing up those hills and it’s paid off big time on the downs. Stronger, fitter =faster =funner!