VSS Rd 1 You Yangs

syko

Likes Dirt
One of Ross for now. Probably the best one from Saturday.
Please don't ask for photos or i'll ninja kick you where it hurts.

It had to be big.

If you got in a photo that's cool and your one of a lucky few.

Last edited:

Bretty.

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Why don't you give photos out? They're just as much the property of the rider/s as they are yours, and you can't upload them to any site without first having the rider's consent to do so.

jimmy-dh

Likes Dirt
Um yeah will you be opening a flickr account or something like that because i would love to see if you got any pictures of me?

trt-reece

Likes Dirt
Care to explain it Hux?
I can offer some explanation. i was just researching this last night to address a copyright infringement, so it's fresh in my mind..

Without going into too much detail, any photos taken are owned by the person who takes them (the photographer) unless they are employed by someone else (an employer) to take the photos, which is where it starts getting complicated, but the copyright then tends to belong to the employer. But in general, and definately in this case, copyright is owned by the person pressing the shutter button (the photographer).

As for the rider's permission, you need a model release if the photos are being used for commercial use (i.e. endorsing a product, using the person's image to sell something else). Loading photos onto a website to display, or even to sell the photos themselves, is classified as non-commercial use, and a model release isn't used.

From this site: http://www.artslaw.com.au/LegalInformation/StreetPhotographersRights.asp
Photographing people
There are no publicity or personality rights in Australia, and there is no right to privacy that protects a person’s image.
Photographing people for a commercial purpose
If you are using your shots for a commercial purpose, such as for an advertising campaign, you should obtain a model release form signed by the subjects you are photographing to ensure you have authorisation to use their image to sell a product.
Copyright details are outlined here: http://www.artslaw.com.au/LegalInformation/04FAQ.asp

and if you want to read about "unauthorised use of your image" : http://www.artslaw.com.au/LegalInformation/UnauthorisedUseImage.asp

As for giving the photos out, camera gear can get VERY expensive, and a lot of time is spent in learning techniques, maintaining equipment, and running websites. Some photographers give their work away for free, but for most, it's a form of work, and asking for free photos from a photographer is like asking a cafe owner to give you free meals and coffee, or asking a musician to perform for free, or give away their music for free.

I don't mean to sound rude about it, just telling it like it is.
Hux, feel free to add/correct anything if you feel the need

Bretty.

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ah fairo, but still I don't see Ben's (and many other's) problem with giving out the photos to the riders, surely all of them can't be for commercial use and I see no harm in it. He'll need the rider's permission if he wants to sell them, so he would have to contact them regarding the photos anyway.

Wouldn't it simply be common courtesy?

J

JaRedy

Not really. To correct you on what you first said, the photo in no way actually belongs to you, so that kinda throws the courtecy of giving you the photo out the window. People also lose motivation to pust up/send out their race photo's (I used to post mine up all the time, but somtimes I don't now).

You can't be expecting a photorapher to give you the photo, just be greatful when they do.

Last edited by a moderator:

syko

Likes Dirt
Um yeah will you be opening a flickr account or something like that because i would love to see if you got any pictures of me?
Right here dude. It's also in my signature under 'flickr' just click it and it will take you to my site.

Well thanks to everyone else for clearing that up for me as i was unaware of the copyright issues regarding photos taken at a mountain bike event.

Also people there will be more photos to come on here and on here.

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
Ah fairo, but still I don't see Ben's (and many other's) problem with giving out the photos to the riders, surely all of them can't be for commercial use and I see no harm in it. He'll need the rider's permission if he wants to sell them, so he would have to contact them regarding the photos anyway.

Let me put it this way, does anyone give Ben free cameras?:)
I believe Ben was there shooting the for some friends, so he doesn't really need to click at anyone else. If he does so, and posts them up, then anyone lucky enough to be in the view of his lenses should count them selves blessed!

Oh, forgot to say....Ben, Farkin Sik shot!

bjmtb

Likes Dirt
Once again more great photos, can't wait to do a photoshoot sometime soon with the new gear and forks! keep it up.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Man, I missed this earlier, but I just wanted to say..

Why don't you give photos out? They're just as much the property of the rider/s as they are yours, and you can't upload them to any site without first having the rider's consent to do so.
Dude, get real. As much the riders' property as the photographer's?

Get real.

syko

Likes Dirt
I believe Ben was there shooting the for some friends, so he doesn't really need to click at anyone else. If he does so, and posts them up, then anyone lucky enough to be in the view of his lenses should count them selves blessed!

Oh, forgot to say....Ben, Farkin Sik shot!
Nicely put i must say. Oh and thanks mate, just had a gander at your Saturday ones and they are very nice i wanted to shoot that spot but you camped it out first :rolleyes:.

Bretty.

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm not saying they should be posted up automatically or anything, but surely it's a 2 way street - the riders give the photogs something to shoot at and they in turn share those photos?

I am not riding the VSS, but have taken shots before and I've never found it imposing to share the photos I've taken with the riders in those shots.

.Alex.

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm not saying they should be posted up automatically or anything, but surely it's a 2 way street - the riders give the photogs something to shoot at and they in turn share those photos?

I am not riding the VSS, but have taken shots before and I've never found it imposing to share the photos I've taken with the riders in those shots.
i agree with you brett,
i do know what you guys mean by the photographer owns the photo and can decide what to do with it being a photographer myself, but also the riders are the ones pushing themselves and giving the photographer something to shoot, im sure me and all the other riders, would love to get photos of themselves taken by such an epic photographer such as your self, and it may just make someone so happy to get a photo of there self to show off to there friends and family,
i personally love getting positive feedback from i rider i got a photo of and them wanting to share it with people,
either way i dont think anyone is right or wrong here, its for you to decide for your self,

by the way nice photo, good luck with the photography.
Alex

Moodge

Likes Dirt
putting all of the pointless whining aside.... those are some nice pics. Ross should be stoked with his shot, he finally looks fast! lol

Keep up the good work mate, the pics are awesome!... and for those of us who cant make it to the races, i really appreciate seeing them!

Ek155

Likes Dirt
Completely up to the photog.
The amount of time + effort it would take to get people's photo's to them would be incredible, the opportunity cost of doing this is huge.

but also the riders are the ones pushing themselves and giving the photographer something to shoot,
Not meaning to sound like a dickhead at all - i see your point, but in a race situation the riders would be racing with or without the photographer, and i'm sure they wouldn't be pushing themselves for the point of photo's, but to win?