VIC Victorian 24 hour race?

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
Does anyone know of any 24's planned for 2013 in Victoria? I would love to see another one at Forrest. Will Redesdale be back? Heard anything?

paggnr

Likes Dirt
Unfortunately you will hear crickets.

It's a great shame that MTBV has let this style of racing where Australia is so strong Internationally fall by the way side. Next we will lose the 6hr format

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
The surf coast 24 was canned last year due to lack of interest. But I don't think that would be the case with a dedicated 24 promoted with more than 3 or 4 weeks notice.
24's seem to be going strong in NSW & ACT. Even SA has one now. The Gravity 12 hour was well attended so I don't think vicos are adverse to the longer races.
I realize a 24 takes a huge amount of organizing and resources. And the obvious reply is "why don't you organize one?". And that's a fair comment but I really don't have the knowledge, resources or contacts to do it.

Baby Animal

Likes Bikes
The surf coast 24 was canned last year due to lack of interest. But I don't think that would be the case with a dedicated 24 promoted with more than 3 or 4 weeks notice.
24's seem to be going strong in NSW & ACT. Even SA has one now. The Gravity 12 hour was well attended so I don't think vicos are adverse to the longer races.
I realize a 24 takes a huge amount of organizing and resources. And the obvious reply is "why don't you organize one?". And that's a fair comment but I really don't have the knowledge, resources or contacts to do it.
Loved the 24 at forrest.... Reckon Norm Douglas is the man to get one happening down there at forrest.... If its anything like the forrest six hour and forrest festival that he runs it would be an AWESOME event!!!!!

dowey42

Likes Dirt
It's something we, Gippsland mountain bike club, have discussed previously. There were a few around then but could be worth re-opening if people saw the need. Would run out of Blores and utilize the caravan camping park like our VES round.

Mmmm....people who have been to Blores what would be your thoughts????

Baby Animal

Likes Bikes
It's something we, Gippsland mountain bike club, have discussed previously. There were a few around then but could be worth re-opening if people saw the need. Would run out of Blores and utilize the caravan camping park like our VES round.

Blores hill would be awesome to race a 24 hour on.... Easter has the 24 solo nats and October is the world solos.. It would have to be In the middle I rekon to get heaps of the solo riders... Heaps of notice and they will come...

ridemtbsnow

Likes Bikes
There may be one in Bright I believe. I seem to recall seeing a local calendar earmarking sometime in October for the event.

akashra

Eats Squid
Blores hill would be awesome to race a 24 hour on.... Easter has the 24 solo nats and October is the world solos.. It would have to be In the middle I rekon to get heaps of the solo riders... Heaps of notice and they will come...
You don't necessarily want your 24s spread all across the year, at least not if they're solo - people train to a particular event, not to be fit for the entire year. A 24hr 8-10 weeks out is probably not so bad as a target - while there are SOME people who will do one a month, most mere mortals wouldn't be up for doing that to their body so frequently.

Art Vanderlay

Hourly daily

Great venue with the required facilities. when would be a good time of the year???? Feb, June, Nov - early Dec.......

Great tracks at Blores too!

Stevob

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Blores would be an awesome place to hold a 24 Adam. Trig point descent at night could be tricky though. Maybe there could be a small diversion in the dark hours. The caravan park is perfect. Heaps of room and great facilities. You'd certainly get me interested in a solo there.

Stevob

Likes Bikes and Dirt
My suggestion would be to just keep it as a 24. I think the surf coast event last year lost 24hr participation levels (and therefore dropped it) because they offered 6hr & 12hr options. I've noticed a trend towards riders selecting the shorter race when given the option at various events. I think there is still enough demand for a 24, but it has to be just that.

akashra

Eats Squid
Blores is in a rain shadow, and it's for that reason the VES date for that event was picked - it was a venue which can make use of what is a problematic period for events throughout the rest of the state. Similar consideration should be given if a 24hr is to be taken advantage of, rather than trying to stack it in a period of the year when everyone else wants to run in good weather. While a 24hr might get a tad cold there, your chances of getting good weather are significantly better than in other places.

My concern with Blores over a 24hr event would be overtaking, and potentially the difficulty for solo 24hr riders to feed - but these are issues which can certainly be addressed with well-planned course layout.

I would agree that for best success of an event, a 24hr and 6+6 component should be all that's offered - we've seen in other events what the offer of others effectively does on a variety of different levels.

dowey42

Likes Dirt
There's the whole back side of the trails we don't use for VES at Blores to get sround the trig. That said there is a joining track which bypasses the trig and trials.
I understand what you're saying Tim about the weather, timing of the race and passing on the tracks. There are more tram tracks and bush roads which could offer adequate passing.
Never having trained for a 24 hr does a winter race possibly put people off with lack of training hours? Early months of the year would be out as it gets too dry...I know!!!
November would be good though.

quiggs

Likes Dirt
As a stupid solo 24 rider I think there is enough opportunities to eat/drink around the recent Blores track, trigg point descent wouldn't be a technical riding issue as solo riders aren't your occasional weekend riders with minimal technical skill levels and most would see the trigg descent as a motivating factor in the lap.

Winter training doesn't come into it, you know you have to train and rain hail or moonshine you just have to get out there and ride (as I hear the rain belting down on the roof!) for me the only negative to southern states running a 24 in winter is the weather, expensive and trying to gather support crew to sit in potential cold wet conditions. I have a hard time trying to get my usual support team convinced that we are going to Canberra at Easter because they will don't forget easily the minus temps that Canberra gets at that time of year.

Quiggs

fav

Squid
like the sound of a 24hr at Blores in November. SS perfect!
Agree with Quiggs, Keep the Trigg in too. Would be an awesome event.

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
I've yet to have the pleasure of riding blores and my tech skills are pretty poor. How bad is this trig point descent? Is it any worse than Mt Beauty? That has a couple of short but steep rocky descents. I'm ok on all of the Vic Enduro series courses but I wouldn't call them all easy. And I have missed a couple.