[VIC] Monthly 4X Class

mtbdh_girl

Likes Dirt
Hi.

Park Orchards BMX Club is pleased to be holding a 4X Class at club races in 2009.

4X classes will be held on the 4th Saturday of each month from February to October.

Racing is cost is $6 and there are a number of cheap licence options.

Format is 3 moto's plus final and invitational final if required

For more details visit: http://pics.inlina.com/popbmx/POPBMX_4X.jpg

Or www.popbmx.com.au

If you can help out by distributing the attached flyer to your local bike shops or community notice board this would be much appreciated.

Attachments

Lube

Likes Dirt
Sounds great, hopefully it kicks off! Really don't like working on Saturdays but will try get out of work here and there to ride!

mtbdh_girl

Likes Dirt
Sounds great, hopefully it kicks off! Really don't like working on Saturdays but will try get out of work here and there to ride!
We hope it kicks off too!!! Note that the first 2 races (Feb & March) have rego from 4pm with racing from 5pm.

We had some mtb'ers come down to race a few times last year which was great and there was a small turnout to the 4X class which ran as part of the 2008 BMX State Championships.

The class is mainly being offered as a fun option for 4X riders to get in some race & gate practice between any specific 4X events.

Cindie

Lube

Likes Dirt
Yeah, times noted, will sneak away early for the March one most likely.
Racing under lights on those nights when it begins to get dark?
I can't remember 4x rules off the top of my head, but you may be able to help.
Can I race on a single speed, working brakes front and rear, both 26" wheels?
Do I need race pants, or can I go for the more MTB combo of shorts, pads and long socks?
Cheers

mtbdh_girl

Likes Dirt
Hi Lube,

Park Orchards currently does not have lights (although we do have an application before council for funding for some [fingers crossed]) :) From April club races start at 2pm (rego from 1pm)

In answer to you other questions...Yes and Yes.
As these races are part of our clubbies, the aim is to encourage as many people as possible to have a go, therefore the rules are more strict in regard to safety than in regard to you bike spec :p

The key to clothing is coverage - You must have a long sleeve top or t'shirt with elbow guards. Pants or shorts and knee/shin guards are also ok - a number of our bmxers were shorts.

You must wear a full face helmet - if you don't have one the club has a number of loaners. Full finger gloves are also a requirement (we have some loaners of these too)

With regards the bike we think MTBA rules are:

Front and Rear Brakes and 2 out of the following 3 - multiple gears, suspension fork(no travel limit- can lock out) or 26" wheels

HOWEVER

BMX rules don't require front brakes so we won't worry about that - No Front Brake required
No pegs or reflectors is the only other thing but I wouldn't expect them - OH and plugged bars after that kid died in Silvan
So if your on 24" you need sus fork & gears
A SS needs to be 26" and sus fork

Basically it has to look like a mountain bike - we are trying to get as many people to have a go as possible

Some of the bikes we expect at one race or another include:
Cove Stiffee
Black market riot
STP(s)
Cannondale chase
Norco Torrent
Giant Talon
SE Dirt flyer
Eastern Night train
GT Lopes Special
GT Chucker
Yeti DJ

Hope that helps :p
Cindie

mtbdh_girl

Likes Dirt
All ages welcome. If there are younger kids then obviously they would not ride with teenagers/adults. we try to base the race groupings on ability rather than age after 13.

As the races are part of the bmx club races there are a number of different levels run on the day - the club has bmx riders aged 4 to 50 something. A number of the younger kids around 7 or so race in the bmx classes at clubbies on their mtbs on a regular basis.

The 4X class was proposed by adults, and I guess it is aimed more at riders 13+ , same as mtba 4x races. I will probably ride some of the races (don't like to admit it but I'm 29 :( )
We expect to have both teenagers and adults racing and as classes are formed on the day based on numbers it should'nt matter what your age or ability is, you are still guaranteed some decent competition :)

Sounds good, now I just have to find a XXL full face and do some fitness training. Prob just watch this month but next month...... :)

do-a-flip

Likes Bikes and Dirt
hey just a quick question. i have an ns capital with suspension but cant run gears? does this mean i cant enter? i dont really see a point of having gears. its more a disadvantage for me;)

cheers,
Ben.

Woot! 4X!

This sounds like just what the doctor ordered.
I ride a lightweight XC so I don't think I want to ride 4X on it. I might try to borrow one for the night.......*scans crowd for hands in the air, looks in the direction of LBS*
Will PM you mtbdh_girl if I'm gonna be a definite, but after watching the 4X Nats on SBS today I need to give it a go.
Do you have any older (late 30s/early 40s) riders or will I have to line up with the little rockets?
Thanks for the heads up.

mtbdh_girl

Likes Dirt
hey just a quick question. i have an ns capital with suspension but cant run gears? does this mean i cant enter? i dont really see a point of having gears. its more a disadvantage for me;)
So long as you are running 26" wheels front and rear it's fine (24' is classified as a bmx cruiser)

Do you have any older (late 30s/early 40s) riders or will I have to line up with the little rockets?
Thanks for the heads up..
Yes...we expect a number of riders of all ages, abilities and experience - the more the merrier :)

can you go there any time to practice?:)
The bmx track is on council land and is open at all times for public riders. However as it is maintened entirely by a small group of volunteers we appreciate people leaving the track and surrounds as they find it. The only time the track is closed is during club events.

Good to be getting such a positive response - looking forward to seeing some 4x action at the clubbies!

see you there,
Cindie

deaks

Likes Bikes and Dirt
jesse by the looks of your bike from last time i saw it, it should be right..
last sat was preety good had about 5-6 riders. should be more next time though.

jake