Vertical mount bike rack at Mt Buller

MTBcrash

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I was at the Mt Buller VDHS round on the weekend and saw a couple of bike racks that hold the bikes vertically.
They had a single pole from the hitch and a braced horixontal bar at the top with the brackets to hold the bikes and were both a galv colour.
The bracing had what I assume is the brand cut in to it but for the life of me I cant recall what it was.

Anyone know what brand these bike racks are and where they can be purchased?

Cheers

MTBcrash

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thanks for the help, yes the North Shore ones are what it was like.

Thanks droenn, that is the one I saw.
I did a search on here and looked at a few threads but obviously not the right one.
Cheers

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
Mate of mine has one of these. Bought it recently. Not sure if it's what you're after.

Lolo rack in Portland. Directly imported it himself. Got it via a shipping address in the US. If you want to know details, I'll ask him.

deej

Likes Bikes
A friend and I imported one from the US also from an up and coming company, Recon Racks, the build strength is awesome, and I think he has since revised some of his original design, check them out. Corey was really good to deal with and pretty pumped that his product was going to Aus.

http://recon-racks.com/images/

We had also considered North Shore, but they never got back to us.

Mail Man

Likes Dirt
Physics Question

Now, I'm no engineer and I definitely know nothing about physics outside of opposite and equal reaction stuff but I have a concern with these racks that hold the wheel vertically.

I love the vertical racks and I would own one if they did not cost an arm and a leg to buy. But, when looking at the recon racks doesn't the wheel mounting system create a lever that may place undue stress on the head tube. The north shore system mounts at the head tube so removes the lever created with the recon system.

I hope this makes sense, but I really want to know because the price of these bad boys makes them very tempting for my next rack.

Ky1e

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Now, I'm no engineer and I definitely know nothing about physics outside of opposite and equal reaction stuff but I have a concern with these racks that hold the wheel vertically.

I love the vertical racks and I would own one if they did not cost an arm and a leg to buy. But, when looking at the recon racks doesn't the wheel mounting system create a lever that may place undue stress on the head tube. The north shore system mounts at the head tube so removes the lever created with the recon system.

I hope this makes sense, but I really want to know because the price of these bad boys makes them very tempting for my next rack.

It's a mountain bike. Rider weight plus any forces you put it through whilst riding it FAR outweigh any stresses placed on the bike by being transported this way. The head tube area is generally one of the strongest areas on an MTB.

Mail Man

Likes Dirt
It's a mountain bike. Rider weight plus any forces you put it through whilst riding it FAR outweigh any stresses placed on the bike by being transported this way. The head tube area is generally one of the strongest areas on an MTB.
This too was my initial thought but when riding the bike all forces on the head tube travel vertically up the fork into the head tube in a linear fashion. This is what they are engineered to withstand. When hanging from the rack the forces placed on the head tube are completely different, they travel in a different direction and there is a lever in place. I am not just worried about the headtube, but what about the forks. I know they bend a lot easier when the forces come from a different direction.

Any engineers are physics buffs want to weigh in here?

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
This too was my initial thought but when riding the bike all forces on the head tube travel vertically up the fork into the head tube in a linear fashion. This is what they are engineered to withstand. When hanging from the rack the forces placed on the head tube are completely different, they travel in a different direction and there is a lever in place. I am not just worried about the headtube, but what about the forks. I know they bend a lot easier when the forces come from a different direction.

I think you'll find that there are a LOT of lateral force exerted on forks and headtube in normal riding.
Rider weight + bike weight + jump landings = huge forces in the lateral as well and vertical plane.

Hang your bike on a vertical rack, be happy, the world will still be turning when you get to your destination.

Ky1e

Likes Bikes and Dirt

You're over thinking this way too much man..

latheboy

Likes Dirt
If you can, make your own one... that's what I did... cost me nothing cause work sponsored me the materials but it wouldn't cost much.
6 bikes no problem.

Last edited:

Hoffa02

Likes Bikes
A friend and I imported one from the US also from an up and coming company, Recon Racks, the build strength is awesome, and I think he has since revised some of his original design, check them out. Corey was really good to deal with and pretty pumped that his product was going to Aus.

http://recon-racks.com/images/

We had also considered North Shore, but they never got back to us.
Hey mate, just wondering how much was the rack to import?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SF Trailboy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Shingleback racks were all over threadbo when we were up there. They are made out of Beechworth. Look a good bit of kit and are reasonably priced.

My only question about vertical racks is the whole hydraulic brake thing. Is the vertical storage and transport a problem with them?

SF Trailboy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Shingleback racks were all over threadbo when we were up there. They are made out of Beechworth. Look a good bit of kit and are reasonably priced.

My only question about vertical racks is the whole hydraulic brake thing. Is the vertical storage and transport a problem with them?
Crickets on the vertical hydraulic brake question??