VDHS Rnd 2 Sherpparton

Nautonier

Eats Squid
VicDH Series rnd2 Mt Major, Shepparton

http://vimeo.com/31940267

just starting to get into filming, so any constructive criticism is appreciated.

Enjoy

Cheers Tom
Great effort, you've got some good content there. Just a few things I would suggest:

1. Use a tripod if you are going to be using the zoom quite a bit.

2. Cutting to the tempo of the music is great, but don't let it dictate the pacing of the edit. I felt like a lot of the cuts at the start were way too fast.

3. Less panning - its better to have a locked off wide shot that shows the same field of view. Ideally you would be able to intercut with close-up shots.

4. The title design is awesome, but you need to hold each bit of text for long enough for the viewer to read. Maybe better to start with slower music while you establish everything?

5. Break up the types of shots you are using, ie try cutting between wide, medium and close-up shots. Cutting from a medium to a medium shot results in jump-cuts that don't always work.

Just my 2c, shooting biking action is actually very challenging and hard to get right.

WynterPlace

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I can't comment on the technical details regarding camera work and editing, but I found the soundtrack nauseating. The seizure inducing flashing of short clips was a bit much too... overall it was pretty good though.

Riedy

Likes Dirt
That was extemely good for a first time making an edit ! but yeah as others above said song choice was a bit off for me to and making the clips go with the beat of the song was a bit off putting . But other than that really good job on your first edit, you deffiently have some skills :clap2:

spinner

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I can't comment on the technical details regarding camera work and editing, but I found the soundtrack nauseating. The seizure inducing flashing of short clips was a bit much too... overall it was pretty good though.
+1. That was "music" ? More like a chronic aural irritation. Ruined it IMO. You had plenty of good clips in there though. It would be nice to see a bit more than 0.01 second of them

JanGG

Likes Dirt
Nice vid mate!
Now I'm not into filming, but from the point of view of someone who likes to watch a good downhill race video I would suggest the following things:
- The music, I'm with the others on that the soundtrack wasn't the best, let it down a bit
- The fast flashing of the shots was a little annoying, want to see more the riders actually riding!

Apart from those two points, the video was awesome man, really enjoyed it - great work!

tombre2

Likes Dirt
Cheers everyone for your thoughts, I'd have to agree with you all about the music. I couldn't find anything i really liked so just went with it and it hasn't worked.

Good idea about mixing up the shots with close, mid & long framed. Will remember to give that a go when filming @ Mt Beauty.

Because i also race my time to shoot is limited. So hiking with and setting up a tripod feels too time consuming, again will take one to Mt Beauty and see how it goes.

Still trying to find time to edit my You Yangs footage so will take onboard everyones comments.

Cheers
Tom

beak_hunter

Likes Bikes
good effort mate.

like someone else said your title was all time :) it was perfect.

don't think the tunes worked that well tho for the rest of the edit but i'm prob an old man compared to you.

increase the clip duration.

i felt that towards the end when the clips where longer and the ACDC song and that other track (i.e less eratic songs) were playing it had way more flow.

the cuts showing diff riders taking the same line was a cool idea.

i think it had a load of potential but just went a little off line.

lack of tripod didn't even matter to me. looked steady enough.

you'll nail the next one. unfortunately tune choice will never please everyone (obviously).

timmy0081

Likes Dirt
Nice edit man! What are shooting on? Seems like you've got some nice equipment for someone just starting out... Anyway, if i can offer any constructive advise for your next clip try is to choose a track with an introduction, climax and end- kind of like a short story. This allows you build up suspense and keep the viewers on the edge of their seats. If you ever watch a good video edited to dubstep, they'll almost always have the bulk of the action (or, 'good shit') at the drop. This allows you to build up to the climax and makes it much more exciting.

Anyway, i'm super impressed if you're honest about just starting out because your cuts and timing are really well done in some sections!

Look forward to seeing more :)