URGE Helmets

Brooksy007

Likes Dirt
Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone out there has tried "URGE" Helmets and what their experiences may be?

I came across them online and LOVE the look and price, but haven't seen one here in VIC as yet (another "appealing" factor to be honest - everyone has TLD, T.H.E. or FOX).

And if anyone in the Melbourne area has one - or knows a shop that might have one - that I can have a look at/try one, that would be unreal!

Thanks in advacne for any help.

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
There's no Ozzy Importer. Crankin and Jet Black were going to do them, but the testing for Australian standards is too high to justify it.
I have the full face and open face. Pretty basic designs. I find the full face starves you for air a touch.
Their vedgie model was what interested me. I don't think you'll theoretically be able to use them at races, or on the road for that matter.
All in all, I liked my 661, Giro, and Troy Lees better.

Brooksy007

Likes Dirt
...the testing for Australian standards is too high to justify it....
... I don't think you'll theoretically be able to use them at races, or on the road for that matter.
Thanks Mate,

Didin't even think about the whole Australian Standards - just assumed they would meet them - great that you pointed that out... Pretty much puts them out the equation...

Cheers

zoidberg

Hooraaay, I'm helping!
Use them at races no problem. I've had mine since I destroyed a D3 and I love it. Super comfy and I actually find it breathes really well. One problem for me is my Oakley goggles tend to pinch my nose a bit kind of giving me a blocked nose a bit? But that's more my deformed head than the helmet I think, because I used to have the same problem with my D3.

Every ones head is different though, two of my mates also run them, but it won't fit on another.

Can't go wrong at the price and I will definitely be buying another one. I also like the fact that not everyone runs them too.

NUMBER5

Likes Dirt
I've got an EndurOmatic and a DownOmatic, both really light, the EndurOmatic is almost like picking up air :) the DownOmatic is actually lighter than my THE carbon. They're both really comfortable, the most comfortable I've used. The DownOmatic has a clip chin strap with is good if ur taking ur helmet on n off lots.

The only issues I've had is that the pads can come apart as they're glued n not stitched(could just b me with my bold head:)) they both come with spare pads though. Also, the pads re quite thin so I dunno how they'd go in a solid crash. I haven't crashed the DownOmatic, but, I've come off a couple of times as well as clipped a couple of solid branches at speed with the open face n it's held up really well.

NUMBER5

Likes Dirt
Use them at races no problem. I've had mine since I destroyed a D3 and I love it. Super comfy and I actually find it breathes really well. One problem for me is my Oakley goggles tend to pinch my nose a bit kind of giving me a blocked nose a bit? But that's more my deformed head than the helmet I think, because I used to have the same problem with my D3.

Every ones head is different though, two of my mates also run them, but it won't fit on another.

Can't go wrong at the price and I will definitely be buying another one. I also like the fact that not everyone runs them too.
No probs here with Crowbars,,super comfy..... You must have a deformed head... Haha

I found that the opening is bigger than other helmets I've used, almost like not wearing a full face when riding with no goggles....

zoidberg

Hooraaay, I'm helping!
No probs here with Crowbars,,super comfy..... You must have a deformed head... Haha

I found that the opening is bigger than other helmets I've used, almost like not wearing a full face when riding with no goggles....
Yep, small nose, goggles tend to ride down, agreed on the size of the opening, that's probably half the problem for me...

Sorry, to OP meant to say I had the Down o Matic. Will be buying the enduro matic also.

Yippee_Ki_YayMF

Likes Dirt
I've been running the Down-o-matic for a couple of months, though not heaps due to winter. They don't have Australian certification but I don't know if that is because it failed or noone has tried. I can't see how they would fail.

As far as using them for races, Barel and Spagnolo use/d them at world cups. I have used mine in races here as well.

I've had one really big off were I landed on my head and came I away fresh, with no damage to the lid.

Air flow is fine and they are really light too.

The goggle fit is the problem. They work best with smaller framed goggles. I am using Oakley O Frames and they are fine, though the helmet can push the goggle down my nose a little when my Leatt isn't on tight.

I wouldn't say it is the best helmet out there, though I think it is a really good one. And for the price, especially on CRC, it is a steal. I can't justify spending $500 on a D3 just yet.

No Skid Marks

Nobody has tried to get them certified, it's too expensive.
I didn't say they weren't good enough to race in. I said theoretically you can't, as I'm pretty sure you're meant to have an Ozzy standards helmet.
Not sure on strength, but mine had cracks in the paint coat from new(stress like cracks), and the padding isn't anywhere near the quality of the 661, Giro, or TroyLees I've had.
For the money on CRC they're a good buy IMO. But I don't think they're as good as the other DH lids I've had.
Vegie helmet is a cool concept I think.
The open face helmet, although kooky looking is pretty cool, although my peak deformed in the summer heat in the car.
My open Face Snow Urge helmet is rad but. I recommend them, although again I wrecked the peak, but easy to recut a new one out of any thin plastic.
The quick release clips on all are excellent, using D Links sucks balls after using quick release clips.

Last edited:

moorey

call me Mia
I believe that what you are meaning is that if the commissaire inspects it at a race, there will be no soup for you, without the Australian standards sticker. What an arsehat of an insurance company might say is possibly an issue also.

That said, I like the look and price of their lids, and when the time comes, they will be high on the list.

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert

Yippee_Ki_YayMF

Likes Dirt
Last edited:

nastylilweed

Likes Dirt
Urge helmets are awesome. I have one of their open faces and I will very shortly be buyinh a veggie down o matic. weight and functionality wise they compare with more expensive helmets very well. And they look badass.

No Skid Marks

From MTBA
http://www.mtba.asn.au/news/305-clarification-of-acceptable-international-standards-for-mtb-helmets

(1) ANSI Z90.4;
(2) Snell "B" or "N" series;
(3) ASTM F-1447.
(4) Canadian CAN/CSA-D113.2-M;
(5) U.S. CPSC standard for bicycle helmets;
(6) European CEN standard for bicycle helmets (EN1078) ... Bingo
Well that's handy to know. Just not for the Ozzy distributors that have bothered getting Ozzy standards approval. I wonder if that covers you for "arsehat of an insurance company might say is possibly an issue also".

moorey

call me Mia
Needs Aus standard for use on road still, but you'd hope that MTBA approval for xc/dh racing would cover you....insurance companies are fair and reasonable, right?.......RIGHT?:bowl:

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
Well that's handy to know. Just not for the Ozzy distributors that have bothered getting Ozzy standards approval. I wonder if that covers you for "arsehat of an insurance company might say is possibly an issue also".
Only covers racing dood ... As moorey said, road use still requires 2063 compliance ... one reason Wiggle has stopped selling helmets into Australia IMO as it opens online retailers to local legislation.

If you buy from overseas and your worried or reliant on income protection and other insurance related stuff ... then buy local with AU Standards compliance as your providing insurance companies out clauses if you use it on the road or even for recreational purposes off road. Be careful of local helmets labelled "for race only" especially if you intend to use it on the road outside of race events and for recreational purposes. Most DH helmets would be safe you'd think although I have seen one guy riding with his DH lid on the road

Smart distros will still obtain relevant standards for their brands and products otherwise they are opening a can of worms. Good business practice. :high5:

Brooksy007

Likes Dirt
Great answers all!

Thanks heaps for all the great replies guys - I'm now satisfied that I can safely get one to race with - just a matter of whether its gonna fit now.

They're a good price though, so I might just order one by the "cm" sizes and if it doesn't fit I'll sell it on to someone else. Might be risking a little cash but not too much.

Norco Maniac

Is back!
a lot of money via CRC considering the Aus standards-compliant THE helmets can be had for under $110 delivered and not only do they breathe well but are super light. no wonder there's so many appearing on the BMX gates atm. the OH and i are both using them too.

EDIT: i'd talking full face helmets.

Last edited:

BlakZ

Likes Dirt
I use the enduromatic (standard lid) for all non-DH riding. It's pretty good. Came with a bag, quality sticker sheet and more than enough spare pads and visors. Comfy, stylish, lots of protection down the side and back of head. Very happy.

I have a POC carbon fullface but if that ever breaks I will probs look into the full-face urges.