upgrade trance 2014 2 brakes

Bruce_82

Likes Bikes
Hi guys I have a 2014 27.5 trance 2 as the title suggests. Love the bike but the brakes arnt amazing just wondering what is a good upgrade that wont cost me an arm and a leg?

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Off the online specs it looks like M445/447 which is pretty entry level.

Without more info on what you don't like about them it's hard to say what brakes to recommend. Is it brake fade, not enough stopping power or modulation that you are annoyed about?

It probably depends on a number of things but here goes...

- $120 per set: Deore M615. These things are the entry level standard and I personally use them on my bike. Does what a brake should do no worries.
- A little bit more: SLX Pretty much the same with a little more adjustment and some weight reduction.
- A little more again: XT more features but roughly the same as SLX. Some swear it has better modulation and power, some say it's the same just more adjustment. I can't say because I've never tried SLX before.
- $280 a set: Zee: This is what you go for if you are heavy or require heaps of braking power or doing some serious riding that loads the brakes (i.e. lots of step downhill for long runs). I've only ever used these on a loaner DH bike and I can see why people love them so much. For XC riding I think I would prefer something a little less powerful. They are also a bit heavier than the SLX/XT models.
- Saint (no idea what the difference is?

Suffice to say, don't go for avids.

Psimpson7

Likes Dirt
Chain Reaction have 785 XT's at the moment for $162 the pair delivered using the code TOP2014 which is pretty good

Bruce_82

Likes Bikes
Thanks I just find that the stock brakes feel ok but don't give me enought stopping power. I tend to use the bike as an all mountain so just want something with more stopping power I guess.

DJR

Likes Dirt
Xts are the way to go. Upgrade the rear to 180mm while you are at it , I've got 180mm rotors slx/xt brakes with ice tech metal pads on my trance and it rocks

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
80% of downhill braking is from the front - larger rear rotors just make it easier to lock up.

I suspect either the pads are contaminated or the brakes need a clean and a proper bedding in procedure - also query if they run out of braking because the levers go all the way into the bars - bleed or new pads is the answer for that one.

200mm rotors will help though at the front, and usually what you do is move the 180s to the rear.

The brakes could also be rooted because only one piston is going in which also reduces power, and the solution for that is just to buy a set of XTs ( it's not worth fixing)

( have had those brakes and they do have a tendency to go squishy as the pads wear .

Bruce_82

Likes Bikes
Can I just replace the calipers and use the stock levers and hoses or is it better to change the whole lot

marc.r

Likes Dirt
Off the online specs it looks like M445/447 which is pretty entry level.

Without more info on what you don't like about them it's hard to say what brakes to recommend. Is it brake fade, not enough stopping power or modulation that you are annoyed about?

It probably depends on a number of things but here goes...

- $120 per set: Deore M615. These things are the entry level standard and I personally use them on my bike. Does what a brake should do no worries.
- A little bit more: SLX Pretty much the same with a little more adjustment and some weight reduction.
- A little more again: XT more features but roughly the same as SLX. Some swear it has better modulation and power, some say it's the same just more adjustment. I can't say because I've never tried SLX before.
- $280 a set: Zee: This is what you go for if you are heavy or require heaps of braking power or doing some serious riding that loads the brakes (i.e. lots of step downhill for long runs). I've only ever used these on a loaner DH bike and I can see why people love them so much. For XC riding I think I would prefer something a little less powerful. They are also a bit heavier than the SLX/XT models.
- Saint (no idea what the difference is?

Suffice to say, don't go for avids.
to take away the vagueness of "extra features"

deore = perfect - crc has 10% off these now so you can get a set for about $90
slx = 20 bucks more and you get toolless leaver reach adjust that you dont need and you can do with an allen key in 30 seconds on deore
xt = 20 bucks more and you get caliper bite point adjust that doesnt work and ice tech brake bads that dont really do much either.

the calipers and leavers are identical in design. if you did a blind test i couldnt tell the difference, neither could you and neither could a shimano sponsored rider.

if you think XT has more power its only because the dude with the XT brakes have them setup nicer and better maintained.

Last edited:

marc.r

Likes Dirt
I thought Deore has pistons made from resin, while SLX and up are made from ceramic.
your right. I should have included that once again dont think you could notice a difference in practice. think its more another heat managing feature?

Ivan

Eats Squid
your right. I should have included that once again dont think you could notice a difference in practice. think its more another heat managing feature?
Yeah, ceramic is probably not going to expand or change shape when heated.

marc.r

Likes Dirt
I find I don't have enough stopping power coming into corners.
cheapest increaes in power would be

1. get deores m615s or above (slx or xt if you got the money and dont mind the extra but this wont give you a big power increase if any) (2015 trance 2 gets them stock :-()

2. get a bigger front rotor 200mm

3. try metallic pads - louder/squealier but better bite

if you want seriously more power and you are heavy (say 90kg) + and these are corners pointing downhill and you need to wash off 20kph or so in a short amount of space then zee or saints or other high end 4 piston brakes will give you more power. at this point you want to seriously start looking at your forearm/hand strength and doing exercises to ensure this is up to par because you are going to need it!

Bruce_82

Likes Bikes
I am around 80kgs and I'm not an amazing rider so can't really throw myself into corners yet the front brake feels ok I just find the rear doesn't wanna grip as hard maybe I'll just try new pads and a bigger rotor for the rear?

marc.r

Likes Dirt
is the rear skidding? if so a bigger rotor/pads isnt going to change anything. you need to try and get more weight on your rear wheel when braking.

if you are doing it cheap I recommend moving the 180mm rotor from the front to the rear and then buying a 200mm for the front. should only set you back about $40 bucks for the rotor and two new adapters.

DJR

Likes Dirt
Yeah I would throw metal pads and a larger rotor in the back. I had similar issues with the resin stock pads and 160mm rotor stock (slx brakes)... Good modulation just not much stopping power. Metal pads and a bigger rotor worked a treat. On the bike you just need a 180mm post mount adaptor to space out the caliper, it will be confusingly labeled a front post mount adaptor but it works fine, shimano one is about 10 bucks, then 30 or 40 for new rotor and 20 or 30 for new pads

Thomas11

Likes Dirt
i put xt's on my bike and they are perfect. My bike is a 2014 trance 2…….. hint hint
I'm 100kgs and they have no problem stopping me, and I think i ride pretty hard.

haydenw

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I would have said xt's but now after owning a set of the new SRAM Guide RS I would say go them. More modulation, similar power, no reliability issues like Avid of old