Twisted rear rim, again

Nitrosoxide

Likes Dirt
Had a bit of a crash at Oxford Falls last weekend and bent my rear rim yet again. Originally I had a mavic ex729, then stepped up to a mavic ex823 which I thought was suppose to be bomb proof. Spikes were DT Swiss, rear hub is the standard sun ringle hubs that come on the giant glory experts.

Anyway do you think it could be the spokes or rear hub that's playing a major role in bending my rims? If so any suggestions on making my rear wheel stronger without adding too much weight?

Shredden

Knows his goats
Did you get new spokes each time? Spoke fatigue can be a major issue.

Also try prolock nipples and fusing the spokes together.

Jimass

Eats Squid
Check your spokes are properly tensioned all the time, failing that i think it would have to do with your riding more than anything...

skwiz05

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Second vote for pointing finger at wheel builder, and possibly sheer bad luck/poor skill.....

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
Just bare in mind that regardless of how good your wheel builder is, there are going to be circumstances where the crash is enough to destroy any product, regardless of the quality or skill that has gone into its assembly. It's the nature of DH.

Good luck!

RangaRMX

Likes Dirt
Did the deformed wheel cause you to crash or did your crash cause the wheel to deform?

If the latter then I'd blame your crash, but as said it could be the wheel builder, or used spokes, or something else entirely.

Also, don't quote me on this as I could be getting mixed up now, a while ago I was doing a lot of reading and the general consensus was that the 729 was the stronger of the two and the 823 was more of a racey wheel for smooth riding.

I forget now but maybe have a read or look around because I remember there being a big debate over which is better..

http://bb.nsmb.com/showthread.php?p=873565 (dug up one for ya)

Last edited:

dh1

Likes Dirt
- wheel builder, no. look at sam hills rear wheel and he probably has a beeter builder then any of us
- spokes, could be. especially if your not checking the tension after each ride
- rider, you did crash
- just unlucky, in the end I would say so
- the nature of dh riding, definetly

Broken Bones89

Likes Bikes and Dirt
- wheel builder, no. look at sam hills rear wheel and he probably has a beeter builder then any of us
- spokes, could be. especially if your not checking the tension after each ride
- rider, you did crash
- just unlucky, in the end I would say so
- the nature of dh riding, definetly
+1 agreed

try mavic deemaxx rims, they are bomb proof

madridingengineer

Likes Dirt
+1 agreed

try mavic deemaxx rims, they are bomb proof
Deemax's are just 28hole ex 823 rims laced to straight pull deemax hubs!!!

As far as strength goes for mavic DH rims from weakest(relitivly speaking) it goes:

ex721
ex729
ex823 (or Deemax- but then Deemax's have problems on real bit hits that flex the spokes can sometimes casue them to just out of the 'straight pull' groove in the rear hub.... That is why people lace an ex823(32 or 36 hole) to a non deemax hub, that way you get the strength of the rim(awesomesauce) and not have to worry about spokes popping out on big hits/or popping out if you havent kept the spoke tension within tolerances.

Another small problem with ex823 and deemax rims is that they are more likely to not hold spoke tension as well as the other mavic rims which could have been part of your problem as it dosent matter how strong your rim is if you dont have the spokes tensioned correctly.

But this makes it an easy fix though--- buy a mavic spoke tool and learn how to check tensions (look around the web- theres heaps of info floating around) or just take it into the LBS more frequently to have a look at- which will work out alot cheaper in the long run compared to buying new rims/spokes becasue you didnt at least check the tension.

hope that helped.

Nitrosoxide

Likes Dirt
thanks guys for all the information. I'm not going to name the shop that did the wheel building but doubt it was that. But just to make sure i'll try another shop anyway. I've placed an order on another Mavic Ex 823. Any recommendations on spokes and nipples ? I ran with DT Swiss last time but don't remember the actual model.
The spoke tension tool sounds like a good idea, i'll take a look into them.
Alex: Yeah wrist is getting better each day, I think i'll be waiting for parts and bike repair longer than what my wrist is taking to repair itself :)