4X Turner Rail - proper finished (Pg 3)

rone

Eats Squid
After seeing Sammydogs MC Battery I had to post this. Also not quite complete, but roll-around-able. Super keen to get this finished.

Frame - Turner Rail
Rear shock - Fox Float R
Front shock/fork - Fox 36 Vanilla RC2 now Manitou Sherman 130mm
Handlebars - Renthal Fatbar 750mm
Stem - Hussefelt
Headset - Element 1.5 - 1 1/8 reducer
Grips - Pro Lockon
Saddle - Specialized Alias
Seatpost - Bilt layback now Azonic inline
Front brake - XT 775 lever / Goodridge / 755 caliper
Rear brake - XT 775 lever / Goodridge / 755 caliper
Cranks - Diabolus 175
Chainguide - Ethirteen SRS
Chain - Wippermann 908
Pedals - 24seven Slack DMR V12 raw
Rear derailleur - Saint shorty
Rear shifter - SRAM Attack
Cassette - XT 11-34
Wheelset - XT 776 All-Mountain
Tyres - DMR Moto R/T 2.2 now DMR Supermoto 2.2
Tubes - Maxxis

rail 002.jpg

Last edited:

binner

Hath shat hymself
hmmmmm just wondering

damn ..after a second look that looks like my old frame.... what is the text on the chainguard?

rone

Eats Squid
damn ..after a second look that looks like my old frame.... what is the text on the chainguard?
Byron Bay Bicycles. However, before the swingarm was sent to Turner Bikes in California for repair and powdercoat, it said DH Direct on the underside of the downtube and had your name on the swingarm. One would surmise therefore that you were indeed a previous careful owner.

I had been after one of these for a while and scored it off ebay off some guy who'd bought it to do some XC on. He realised his folly and sold it on to me. I discovered a hairline crack in the top yoke of the swingarm but Greg at Turner Bikes looked after me and got me rolling again. He even gave me new pivot bearings and a Royal Racing 'Turner' tech shirt.

Last edited:

rone

Eats Squid
Finished. Added drivetrain and pedals and took it for a fang.:D:D:D:D:D:D Holy crap.

I can see why nobody wants to get rid if they still have one. This bike rails - pardon the pun. It also highlighted how unfit I am. Enjoy.

rail 016.jpgrail 014.jpgrail 010.jpgrail 012.jpg

Swapped the 50mm 10° stem for a Hussefelt 60mm 0° to get the front lower. The seatpost and stem will be Thomson'ed in the not too distant.

Last edited:

binner

Hath shat hymself
railed

...if you think those puppies R A I L .. now go jump on a DHR 08 and see how those this go... :)

tanny

Likes Bikes
Love the bike mate. So clean and the gold and black looks great. Perfect choice of parts.

Have you had a chance to weigh it?

sruge

Likes Dirt
Nice. Had one of these quite a few years back - ended up blowing my right knee in a "one last run" incident. Cost me about $4,500 to build in 2005, after only riding it half a dozen times the best I could get for it was $1200! There was a pic or two of it on here - might see of I can dig 'em out.

zac

Likes Dirt
Now this is the kick up the arse I need to get mine rebuilt, although it'll be nowhere near as nice as yours. How's she ride with the 36s? I had 100mm DJ1s on mine a couple of years ago and loved it, but am curious how she'd go with more travel up front...

rone

Eats Squid
Nice looking bike mate. How do those Pro Grips go? Thinking of getting some myself.
Nice. The extra width is why I got them. ODI's were a bit narrow.

Now this is the kick up the arse I need to get mine rebuilt, although it'll be nowhere near as nice as yours. How's she ride with the 36s? I had 100mm DJ1s on mine a couple of years ago and loved it, but am curious how she'd go with more travel up front...
Really good. Seems to have been designed to run this travel. I studied lots of old photos of various Rails and the 100mm forked versions looked a bit steep. Apparently 130mm is ideal, and my intention was to modify the travel of the 36s to 120/130mm, but the bike feels really dialled as it is. There was this one in the UK running 24" wheels that I think looked awesome.

bestrail2.jpg

Nearly went that way myself, but already had the XTs in the shed.

darsh

Likes Dirt
drool

Remember Mr Rone, i got dibs on this WHEN you decide to sell:pray:
Thanks for help today