Tuning Fox RP2 on Maestro

takai

Eats Squid
At the moment I'm debating my options for the trail bike. Its an older Giant Reign with a Fox Float RP2 shock, and in true Fox Float style it blows through the mid stroke of the shock. Which is only exemplified by the Maestro suspension design leaning hard on the mid stroke. Not keen on spending a huge amount on it as i may switch frame to something else, so looking at cheaper options to keep this going for another year or so.

Currently i figure i have two options that have been suggested on other forums.
The first is to add Volume Spacer shims to increase the ramp rate of the can, and the second is to increase the IFV pressure to 400psi.

Both are relatively simple and cheap options. But I'm wondering whether there are any other options out there, bar completely switching frames or shocks?

merc-blue

Likes Bikes and Dirt
More than likely it just needs service.
ifp will likely already be at (or over) 400psi(or was when last serviced) as per a bsd type RP2

takai

Eats Squid
More than likely it just needs service.
ifp will likely already be at (or over) 400psi(or was when last serviced) as per a bsd type RP2
Its been like this from new, the shock may be a few years old (its an '10 from memory) but the bike has mainly just been sitting. The IFP though is one of the batch that was charged to 300psi from factory.

SummitFever

Eats Squid
Higher pressure in IFP will not affect mid-stroke. Factory charge went to 500psi to prevent cavitation issues (esp. with firm comp tunes). Boost-valve equipped RPs are tunable with changes to IFP pressure, but even on these the mid-stroke performance is not greatly changed with IFP pressure change.

Volume spacers are probably your only cheap option.

hathill

Likes Dirt
Higher pressure in IFP will not affect mid-stroke. Factory charge went to 500psi to prevent cavitation issues (esp. with firm comp tunes). Boost-valve equipped RPs are tunable with changes to IFP pressure, but even on these the mid-stroke performance is not greatly changed with IFP pressure change.

Volume spacers are probably your only cheap option.
+1 for ^^^^^^

hathill

Likes Dirt
+1 for ^^^^^^
Forgot to say - Investigate rider weight vs small/large air can. i.e. lighter riders may be better of with small volume air can, heftier guys may need to go small (or add volume spacers as originally proposed)

teK--

Eats Squid
At the moment I'm debating my options for the trail bike. Its an older Giant Reign with a Fox Float RP2 shock, and in true Fox Float style it blows through the mid stroke of the shock. Which is only exemplified by the Maestro suspension design leaning hard on the mid stroke. Not keen on spending a huge amount on it as i may switch frame to something else, so looking at cheaper options to keep this going for another year or so.

Currently i figure i have two options that have been suggested on other forums.
The first is to add Volume Spacer shims to increase the ramp rate of the can, and the second is to increase the IFV pressure to 400psi.

Both are relatively simple and cheap options. But I'm wondering whether there are any other options out there, bar completely switching frames or shocks?
If you want to experiment with spacers but for (next to) free, add an equivalent amount of fox float fluid or rockshox red rum to the air canister above the main air piston.

miko

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Fellow Reign rider here. I was never happy with the Fox shock on mine, but that was more of a reliability thing than anything else. I've replaced it with a Monarch which is user rebuild-able if you're keen enough. You can also pick up different shim stacks for it to further tune. However, the biggest difference with the new shock was that I moved to a small air can. It just seems more suitable for the leverage rate on the Reign. Definitely try the shims first, or a small air can if you can get your hands on one easily. I don't think I'd be happy going too high on IFP pressures.

For comparison I'm about 85kg kitted. I can't remember how much pressure I needed in the Fox to get reasonable support, I think it was around 220-230 PSI. I'm running a fair amount less with the small can. If you're really light then things may be different.

Ivan

Eats Squid
Small air cans or volume spacers are THE best upgrade you can do to your reign or trance.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Same problem, nearly 90kg on an XL 2011 reign with rp2 , I just couldn't get anything like a pedal platform on the thing and had well over 200psi in it and it still would blow through travel. MTBR advice was to shim it or replace it, I just sold the whole bike and went xc instead. ;)

Mtbr is a huge help on this, the std volume shim was milk carton plastic from memory. ;)

Ivan

Eats Squid
The fox air volume spacer kit was only $25 from memory. And you get 3 different sized spacers.

This simple mod, that takes 20 minutes, made a big difference to my Trance X. I am still blown away by how good it is.

I cannot believe giant specced all these bikes with HV cans.

waldog

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Spacer kit all the way...

I had a Trance X, swapped the original small can float to a newer boost valved, large can jobby, who doesn't like large cans....

Anyway, it was the much better, but didn't get to it's best until I used the air spacer kit. Transformed the shock. Great small bump, awesome ramp up, just all round tops.

As a side note, I still have all the spacers, come grab them try before you buy. PM me, or text me.

Cheers, Grant.

miko

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah, I don't know why these bikes got large cans. I think they were trying to make them feel plush, but it just didn't work.

takai

Eats Squid
I had a Trance X, swapped the original small can float to a newer boost valved, large can jobby, who doesn't like large cans....

Anyway, it was the much better, but didn't get to it's best until I used the air spacer kit. Transformed the shock. Great small bump, awesome ramp up, just all round tops.

As a side note, I still have all the spacers, come grab them try before you buy. PM me, or text me.

Cheers, Grant.
Thanks for the offer man, but I've just had mine delivered from the US.
Will have to spend some time tuning up the shock soonish then.