Tubeless with Ardent Race - whats your experience?

captain3k

Likes Bikes
Hi All,

What is peoples experience going tubeless with Ardent Race 2.2 (TR) (tyres brand new not previously inflated)?

Mine is as follows all with new tires
29 ardent race on Sunringle Charger w/ supplied stans tape and ~60ml Stans liquid - loses air overnight
29 ardent race on WTB i23 w/ gorilla tape and bontrager tubeless solution - loses air over night , also the first rear i have ever burped over 1 1/2 of riding tubeless (off camber landing over log hop on rigid frame)
27.5 ardent race on WTB i23 w/supplied stans tape and bontrager solution - loses air over night , now the second rear i have had burp (same damn log, but full suss rig)

comparatively on the same setups, I have had no issue with Minion DHF 2.35 (TR), and Tomahawk 2.3 (TR)

Would love to here if people have had similar experience to me or greater success.

Cheers
Andy

moman

Likes Dirt
I've run an ardent race tr 3c Exo on my 29 charger pro wheels (stans flow rims) with no problems.

Although I have had other tyres that have slowly lost air. Checking the below often fixes it.

Did you pump them up to 40-50psi to make sure the bead is properly seated? Any dents in the rims or the bead itself damaged? Double check your tape is not lifting anywhere. I've damaged mine unknowingly with tyre levers.

Sidewall leaking seems to get fixed by stans after a couple of rides.

Quency

Likes Dirt
29x2.2" Ardent race 3C Exo TR on Bontrager RXL rims with bontrager rim strip and ~60mL stans
went up with just a track pump. bead snapped across at about 35 psi.
was losing air overnight (circa. 10 psi) until I rode it the first time. riding must've sloshed the goo around enough to seal up whatever slow leak there was in sidewall or otherwise.
Since then only marginal drop in pressure over time. I check my tyres every ride pretty much though so wouldn't notice a slow leak.

ming

Likes Bikes
I have had overnight sidewall leaks on new Ardent / Race / Ikons, all EXO. Giving the wheel it a good shake then lying it flat for half an hour on each side fixes the problem (put it on a bin or box so it sits flat).

captain3k

Likes Bikes
Ok thank you all for your input - i'm kind of scratching my head, aired up with a compressor and bead snapped in, i'll double check tape, and i'll try laying them flat and see if i get a better result. on the same rims i had bonty XR2 non tubeless with leaky sidewalls that held air better then the ardents.

Cheers
Andy

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
I don't have the race, but the Ardent 26 x 2.25 EXO TR... both front and rear on my hardtail and I like them... they are tubeless and they stay up no worries. I ride the bike pretty often, so maybe that helps spread the stans around.

bikeyoulongtime

Likes Dirt
Been running an ardent race EXO TR 3C on Stans flow EX for a while. No issues with the tyre as a tubeless beast - but did have tape slippage and a little poor sealing of ghetto valves here and there. Fixed with meticulous application of stan's tape and a proper tubeless valve. I did need to be very anal about cleaning up all the old sealant around the bead.

As for burping. I've never burped mine - it feels close at times. It definitely does not seem as supportive a tyre as a high roller, but then, it's an XC race tyre. At 25 psi it feels a little squishy and like it's going to get ripped off the rim if I push it hard, just under 30 feels about trail shredding right, and 35 is commuting pressure (bouncy!). Sooo... I'd hazard a guess that an ardent race is going to need a bit more pressure to stay put than a minion or tomahawk.

Good luck troubleshooting!

Minlak

custom titis
I run Ardent Front and Ardent Race Rear on my 29" as tyres of choice. Just put a new set on now (2nd set) and the Ardent is still at 40psi the Ardent Race is at like 15psi both brand new gorilla tape and stans valves / sealant. During the week once they set I will lose 10psi on the Ardent and 15psi on the Ardent Race between inflations on the weekends. Both tyres are 3C EXO TR.

ktastrphe

Likes Dirt
I had bleeding side walls on 26" version of the race but not the 29". To the point I ditched a brand new the because it wouldn't hold air when tubeless. I found they have paper thin walls and tear if even a rogue blade of grass lightly brushes against them when washing the bike (bit of exaggeration there, but I have been burnt). The non-race version are great though

slimjim1

Fat boomers cloggin' ma leaderboard
Had 3 ardent races. All 3C EXO TR used as a rear.

First one was defective, bead so loose wouldn't even inflate tubeless with compressed air (yes I did everything right). Returned.

Slashed the 2nd one after a pretty good innings.

3rd one is on now, seems to have a bit of a warp to it.

Overall like the tyre but is fragile and seems to have a few quality issues compared to the spesh tyres iv'e been running.

skinnybeans

Likes Dirt
I've got front and rear ardent race on stans arch rims. They both lose pressure overnight but last well enough for a ride so doesn't bother me all that much.

tugboat

Squid
I had two tubeless Ardent Race fitted to my 26" burped the front after about 2 mths. OK no problem, Two weeks later burped the rear. Took it back to the bike shop who supplied and fitted the tyres. The guy examined both tyres and said they had both stretched and he couldn't get them to seal , said they were defective and gave me two Ground Controls.

Sounds like a problem with the 26".

Mattl

Likes Dirt
I've run both the TR & the TR EXO 29" tyres tubeless on 30mm carbon rims for over a year and both tyres mounted with a track pump and hold air as well as any other tubeless tyre. I've also swapped used Ardent Race tyres onto other rims and these still set up tubeless ok but needed a blast of c02 for the initial seating.

Kramer

FoBR
I've set up 26 and 27.5 Ardent Race 3C EXO TR tyres tubeless on stock Giant XC wheels (PXC I think?). Used rim tape and Stans rim strips no problems with either set up.
I always get new tyres and inflate them with a tube overnight - this gets the kinks out of the tyre. Once I have the tyres seated with sealant in them, I'll pump them up to about 50Psi and lie them on the side to seal any leaks around the bead.

Danieleire

Likes Dirt
I've an ardent race on easton tubless rims, no tape. the rear will loses air over night as well. first time i pumped it there was stand coming out of pin holes in the sidewall. but once its inflated and your riding it holds air all day. have a hans dampf on the front and its holding air for the last six-months no issues. just seems strange when its the same rims ,valves and sealant

and my partners bike has the same rear tyre on equal quality rims and it never losses air....

skinnybeans

Likes Dirt
Did this to my ardent race last night.

Sealant didn't help, had to put a tube in. Only been running tubeless for about 6 weeks and already fucked a tyre!

I need to run dual ply for my cross country riding sick of destroying shit.

T-Rex

Template denier
Did this to my ardent race last night.

Sealant didn't help, had to put a tube in. Only been running tubeless for about 6 weeks and already fucked a tyre!

I need to run dual ply for my cross country riding sick of destroying shit.
You should be able to patch that one from the inside, as its not close to the bead. Use the biggest patch you can lay your hands on, and make sure you clean all the sealant from around the inside of the hole.

JONO WADE

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Set up an ardent race on the rear of my new bike on stans crest rims. Lasted one ride and had 3 holes in the sidewall.