Trial Frames with 26 and 27.5 option

treble

Likes Dirt
Im looking for some options for trail frames, around 140mm, that can be run in both 26" and 27.5"

Im asking as I have almost everything sitting around in boxes to build a new bike, I Just need a frame. I cant stretch the budget for a new wheel set and fork when i have perfectly good 26" ones already. But its probably not very 'future proof' to buy a frame that I cant put bigger wheels on down the track.

I know the Banshee Spitfire comes with dropouts for both, and its probably a front runner at this stage. but is there anything else on the market?

WillR

Likes Dirt
Liteville 301.

I would be happy to put 26" wheels in any 27.5" frame though. Put a high volume tyre on like a 2.4" Ardent, and most people probably won't even notice. Your BB will be about 1/2" lower.

Might be a false economy if you end up building a 27.5" bike over time though?

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
I know the Banshee Spitfire comes with dropouts for both, and its probably a front runner at this stage. but is there any point in looking at anything else on the market?
No.

although the liteville, I'd tap that.

stirk

Burner
The liteville has a funny looking suspension link! Go alright?

I heard on the street knuckles would tap anything.

Interesting the liteville favours using different size wheels front and back so in a size large run a 27.5 front and 26 rear so you'd be plugging for new wheels anyway with the liteville, well at least one wheel or I think I have read it wrong!

Last edited:

treble

Likes Dirt
lol, I do like the Spitty. Ive just come home from living in Canada for a bike season. I nearly bought one there because I saw a few around and they looked great, but they end up cheaper here once you allow for the currency conversion.

I should have mentioned, looking at Dually's rather than a hard tail, although that one does look pretty sweet for the price. Ill check out the Liteville... never really been a fan of their bikes for some reason though.

The plan is to build a proper 27.5 trail bike (around 140mm travel), so its only a short term solution for a few months. I just haven't got the cash for a new wheel set and a fork right now. I have done some looking into slapping the 26" wheels into a 27.5" frame, but it seems mixed reviews.. some say its not really any different, some say the geometry goes to poo and it handles badly. Thoughts?

fallingwater

Likes Bikes
I have done some looking into slapping the 26" wheels into a 27.5" frame, but it seems mixed reviews.. some say its not really any different, some say the geometry goes to poo and it handles badly. Thoughts?
Other than your BB height and a slight alteration to your trail figure, it won't really affect any of your geometry.
I'd be surprised if most people could even tell the difference, other than some extra pedal strikes here and there.