TrEX-e Boy

Rorschach

Didnt pay $250 for this custom title
If you didn’t play this in your head after reading the title, I don’t want to know you…

Anyway…
I’ve jumped on the boomer scooter wagon after spending too long walking my fat arse and my Prime up the hills, and riding with a majority of e-bikes I was starting to enjoy myself less and less when our riding.
I’ve been looking for a while and was interested in the new Spesh Levo SL, which seemed like reasonable value at 12k, which I didn’t have.
What I did have was 8k, a set of decent 29er wheels and a Prime I could rinse for a few parts to pay some of it back.
Trek is selling the base model Fuel EX-e at 8k with the same frame as the top end models with a bulletproof Deore groupset and my local had one in Dnister Black in my size.
I picked up a set of TRP G-Spec DH-R brakes from @ausdb and the 29er wheels I got from @Wake Jake went on.
I got it home and promptly removed the RS Gold 35 forks for my Durolux and the cockpit was swapped for the one from the Banshee
It’s likely to get a piggyback shock at some point, but that’ll do for now.

Frame - Trek Fuel EX-e, matte Dnister Black
Rear shock - Rockshox Deluxe Select+ RT Fox Float X2 Factory
Front shock/fork - Suntour Durolux R2C2, 150mm
Handlebars - Enve M6, 775mm
Stem - Nukeproof Horizon, 60mm
Headset - NFI
Grips - Ergon GA6 Fat
Saddle - Specialized Phenom 155mm
Seatpost - TranzX 170m. Can already see this jumping up to 200mm. Yep Joystick lever
Front brake - TRP G-Spec DH-R
Rear brake - TRP G-Spec DH-R
Cranks - EThirteen E*Spec Plus 170mm
Chainguide - Yep
Chain - Deore M6100
Pedals - OneUp Composite
Rear derailleur - Deore M6100
Rear shifter - Deore M6100
Cassette - Deore M6100
Front hub - DTSwiss 350 32h
Rear hub - DTSwiss 240 32h
Front rim - DTSwiss EX511
Rear rim - DTSwiss EX511
Spokes - DTSwiss Competition
Nipples - DTSwiss Squorx Brass Black
Tyres - Bontrager SE6 (f), SE4 (r)
Tubes - N/A
Total weight - FIIK

Last edited:

ausdb

Being who he is
Verrryyy niiiicccee (in my best Borat voice) just needs a massive eyebolt in the concrete and badass chain so it stays yours, or will it live in the house?

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Looking lovely that is. And in that colour the screen on the top tube looks so well integrated.

Definitely get some frame protection on it, especially the seat and chainstays.

Looking forward to hearing how you get on with it. After tweaking and playing with mine I can't stop riding it. It's such a good bit of kit.

And finally, be very mindful of washing it. That control module on the top tube can play up if it gets soaked. Never spray water anywhere near it.

Rorschach

Verrryyy niiiicccee (in my best Borat voice) just needs a massive eyebolt in the concrete and badass chain so it stays yours, or will it live in the house?
I certainly do. I'm really lucky where I live and there is no crime I've heard of, let alone break-ins but I should be better at securing my stuff!

Looking lovely that is. And in that colour the screen on the top tube looks so well integrated.

Definitely get some frame protection on it, especially the seat and chainstays.

Looking forward to hearing how you get on with it. After tweaking and playing with mine I can't stop riding it. It's such a good bit of kit.

And finally, be very mindful of washing it. That control module on the top tube can play up if it gets soaked. Never spray water anywhere near it.
Washing isn't going to be a problem - they only very occasionally get a spray down!
I probably should have gotten it wrapped as well but Trek didn't offer that. I'll look into some RideWrap for the main bits.
I do like that it has downtube protection, didn't notice that until I turned it upside down to take the discs off when I swapped stuff over on Friday night

Nice one @Rorschach. How did you sort out your front hub difficulties?
Short answer, a new hub. Wasn't too bad, I got a 350 put on and had it relaced.

Rorschach

The Ridewrap kit is millimetre perfect. Definitely worth getting and whilst it takes time, effort and lots of light to apply l it does a really good job of protecting the frame.
Ugh - light is my issue as my time to fiddle with the bike is once the kids have gone to bed!
Might need to pay someone to do it for me...

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I had to set it up in a spare room with additional flood lighting to make it work. And it took me 6 hours over two days.

Don't even try without decent light otherwise it'll look like the work experience kid did it.

"Pay a guy" is an acceptable alternative solution.

Rorschach

I had to set it up in a spare room with additional flood lighting to make it work. And it took me 6 hours over two days.

Don't even try without decent light otherwise it'll look like the work experience kid did it.

"Pay a guy" is an acceptable alternative solution.
I think my local Banshee dealer also wraps bikes, although he may not be talking to me after I said I was going to sell on my Prime...

discofrank

Likes Dirt
I think my local Banshee dealer also wraps bikes, although he may not be talking to me after I said I was going to sell on my Prime...
if you mean phill yeah he does!

killer bike, that colur is BANG ON!
im really wanting a ebike, even more so after having a levo for WAGE the other week... i was able to RIDE UP bam bam to debunt.
i know of someone selling one of these and im half tempted

but with pinons release of their MGU.. im hoping zerdoe will do an ebike fast! :p

Rorschach

if you mean phill yeah he does!

killer bike, that colur is BANG ON!
im really wanting a ebike, even more so after having a levo for WAGE the other week... i was able to RIDE UP bam bam to debunt.
i know of someone selling one of these and im half tempted

but with pinons release of their MGU.. im hoping zerdoe will do an ebike fast! :p
Haha, I’ve already ordered the wrap from Phill!

I think the Pinion MGU will be a game changer, that’d be in consideration for the next bike…

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
6 hours! Jeezus @The Reverend - you must've wanted absolute perfection! :eek:

I found the longest it took me (RideWrap Ripmo kit IIRC...?) was about 1.5 hours even being reasonably fussy. All the other ones I did (Invisiframe kits) took me about 45 minutes. Invisiframe is a little bit easier to work with than RideWrap as it's a bit more stretchy, and I'd rate it a bit higher for actual scratch/gouge protection as the material is a bit thicker - but the Invisiframe kits seem to have bigger gaps to allow for the misalignment of said stretchier material, and just generally with how the pieces are cut there can be some gaps in questionable places at times. RideWrap kit had much tighter gaps and overall coverage, and didn't show up general scuffs as much as the Invisiframe material - but is quite a bit more resistant to conforming to compound curves. On the plus side, it's easier to lay the pieces straight, it's just harder to actually stick them down.

I rate it as worth doing for carbon frames, but not for alloy. It's more of a precaution against a random deep scratch/mild gouge potentially needing a minor carbon repair, versus an alloy frame just copping a bit of a scar and not being anything worth worrying about.

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
6 hours! Jeezus @The Reverend - you must've wanted absolute perfection! :eek:

I found the longest it took me (RideWrap Ripmo kit IIRC...?) was about 1.5 hours even being reasonably fussy. All the other ones I did (Invisiframe kits) took me about 45 minutes. Invisiframe is a little bit easier to work with than RideWrap as it's a bit more stretchy, and I'd rate it a bit higher for actual scratch/gouge protection as the material is a bit thicker - but the Invisiframe kits seem to have bigger gaps to allow for the misalignment of said stretchier material, and just generally with how the pieces are cut there can be some gaps in questionable places at times. RideWrap kit had much tighter gaps and overall coverage, and didn't show up general scuffs as much as the Invisiframe material - but is quite a bit more resistant to conforming to compound curves. On the plus side, it's easier to lay the pieces straight, it's just harder to actually stick them down.

I rate it as worth doing for carbon frames, but not for alloy. It's more of a precaution against a random deep scratch/mild gouge potentially needing a minor carbon repair, versus an alloy frame just copping a bit of a scar and not being anything worth worrying about.
Yeah, I wanted it looking good, and I wasn't in a rush (obviously) so just split it over two days and relaxed with it.
I could probably do it in much less time but I'm happy with how it turned out. Having a black frame probably didn't help.

It's worth it on carbon frames as you mention.

Raw alloy frames still need protection I think but theyre so much better at brushing off cosmetic damage.

slowmick

38-39"
Continuing this thread derail further - is there anything that will work with an anodised aluminium frame and look nice gents? Most of the off the shelf stick on protection items say not suitable for anodised frames as the finish is too rough. I assume this means you get white spots where the adhesive has not stuck.

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Continuing this thread derail further - is there anything that will work with an anodised aluminium frame and look nice gents? Most of the off the shelf stick on protection items say not suitable for anodised frames as the finish is too rough. I assume this means you get white spots where the adhesive has not stuck.
Possibly the AMS kit? It has a honeycomb finish to it and sticks pretty well.

If you're going to use lots of it, just get paddle board tape. The same thing, costs less and you can cut the shape you need. Easy and cheap from eBay / Amazon